Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 馃槑
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lowered on racelands, and I only have a 1.5 to 2 inch drop, and my tires have slightly visible camber wear, how can I correct this? Will an alignment at a shop take care of it?

Premium Member
1999 Toyota Altezza RS200 Z-Edition
Yes alignment can. But you may need camber bolts or adjustable ball joints etc....
Exactly what 01 SolarYellow said!

Hey, and congrats on having those racelands! Good choice.

I actually learned some unexpected insight into this the first time I had upgraded the entire suspension on a 2001 is300 (which I ended up parting out long ago). Long story short, a friend has sold me a new set of no-name adjustable upper control arms for the first-gen is300, a full set of all 4 of them. Now, at the time I already had that is300 sitting on original TRD Sport strut towers that were shipped to me from a parted-out Altezza (SXE10) in Japan. The strut towers were in very good condition, nice original TRD Sport springs, etc. All that this means is that the current (pre-adjustable-control-arm upgrade) height of that is300 was an inch to in-and-a-half lower than the original usdm is300 height. (Even the non-TRD japanese Altezzas sit noticeably lower than usdm is300 models).

I had the car alignment verified on a laser setup (I think it was Hoffmann 3D) prior to. It drove beautifully. So fast-forward to when we installed the new adjustable upper control arms on both front and back. I did have a second, much more experienced tech double check every turn of the wrench as we put it together. It didn't drive 100% perfect at first, which was to be expected - I had the car delivered on flatbed directly to the alignment shop. This time it was the most-respected alignment shop with a well-deserved reputation in the area (Altech Automotive on Olivewood Rd in Etobicoke). The techs there were specialized in custom setups, and did this for a living. To their, and my own surprise, the adjustment nuts on the rear upper control arms ended up not letting you set up camber as good as the front. Despite the threads being very new, and perfectly machined, after several hours of repeated effort, they were surprised to find that the rear alignment simply did not line up within the usual margin of error. I still have the printout with exact metrics somewhere in my office, however what I can for sure is that despite the driving experience after the alignment being very good - i mean really on point - there was a significant percentage of a degree difference on the rear camber. I needed the camber to be more factory-like for that tire width and rim combination to work okay on city roads, however they ended up purposefully going slightly negative on the rear to compensate.

All I'm saying is that your particular situation may vary a bit, especially when it comes to setting camber on the rear wheels. Honestly though, any decent alignment tech will diagnose what's going on and do the best that's possible for your setup. If there's anything you do - visit the alignment shop first, before you think or contemplate which specific (whether adjustable or otherwise custom) parts to bring into the equation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts