Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at an IS300 at a nearby junkyard. Haven't seen it in person, going to take a look, but I'm planning on pulling it out and installing it into my car. I'm thinking it's a easy fit, just have to install all the connectors and hoses correctly. I'll just be pulling the long block as my intake and exhaust manifold is still looking ok. Just my short block is damaged I think(1st cylinder rod snapped), and I don't want to risk just getting a short block out of the junkyard IS because the valves on my engine might have bent, only just $10 more if I take the long block. Just want to know if it's just plug and play. My IS is also originally auto and the one i'm pulling from is a manual, I know if I just pull the block it's no different, but I want to pull the trans and anything else from it to make mine a manual as well. Do I have to get the ECU out of the manual or will it work with the auto ECU. If it's too much work to turn mine into a manual, i'll just keep mine auto, but if there's a chance to go manual i'll do what I can to do it. I believe the junk IS is a 2003 and mine is an 2001.

Also if I can I'm also planning on boosting the junkyard engine if the condition is ok. There's also a chance i'll find a 93 gs300 there that I'm hoping is non-vvti so I can grab the rods and just install it in there to hold some boost or just to keep build the strength. For the pistons i'll try to get some Supra pistons or similar low compression pistons. I gotta get the manifold and other stuff ready too. But would it be better to build it then and there or just toss in the gs300 rods and run it complete n/a stock?

Sorry if that was too much.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Pretty sure you will need the manual ECU as well, though there have been a few posting recently on how to get around the error codes the ecu throws when it cant see the auto

I could be wrong but isnt there also a difference in the 2001 - 2003 ecu? Maybe you cant use it easily without the whole harness like Solar says?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts