Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general question about the art of the deal.

I'm looking to trade my 2000 Integra GSR up to an IS300. Problem is, the trade in value leaves me upside-down money wise. What is the best way to get the best trade in value without simply inflating the price of the other car? Actually, I suck at dealing because I fall in love with the car so any help or links to good sites would be mucho appreciated.

By the way, I have test driven the TSX, the 350z, altima 3.5se, and the Acura CL and the IS300 is still my first choice!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Not sure what you want us to tell you. If you're upside down, that means you owe more than what your car is worth. If you find someone that will deal with you, all that means is that they're going to raise the bottom line price of the car you're buying in order to offset the difference between the money you owe on the trade in and it's value. Unfortunately, its just that simple.

Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, what exactly are you trying to say here? If you think you're not getting enough for your trade in, the only option is selling your car privately. Sure, it's more of a hassle but you might be financially better off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. The value of the car (retail) is right at about what I owe, but of course, selling it yourself is not fun. The point of my post was that I have heard that it is best to establish a value for your trade THEN deal on the new car. I was just looking for some input.

·
Registered
195 Posts
plutonium239 said:
Good point. The value of the car (retail) is right at about what I owe, but of course, selling it yourself is not fun. The point of my post was that I have heard that it is best to establish a value for your trade THEN deal on the new car. I was just looking for some input.
I always though it was best to negotiate a price on the car you want to buy first, then talk trade in values. This way, you know how much the new car is going to cost you, it's just a matter of how much they're willing to pay you for your trade in. This gives you a bargaining tool to go else where and say I got quoted $xx,xxx for a new car, 1) will you match it and 2) how much are you going to give me for my trade in? It's a given that they'll give you $1-2k less than what you might get if sold privately but if the hassle of selling it yourself is worth $1-2k, it might be an option you'll take.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.