Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from body shop to repair crashed front end. How can I tell if they re-aimed the headlights correctly...and how can I tell if the auto-leveling system is working?

If I point them perpendicular to a blank wall, what should I be looking for? I know I should see them rise up as I flip the switch on, so I believe I can tell about the leveling system that way. But what about aiming?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

·
8,849 Posts
Just look for the light pattern to be even when driving during the nighttime.
You could always look in the DMV book for the proper light leveling laws.

As you mentioned, the auto-level system is easy to check by turning the key to "ON" position.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Measure the distance from the ground to the center of your headlight bulbs.

Put marks on a wall at the same height as your headlight bulbs from the ground.

Then shine your lights on a wall from 30 feet away.

The top flat line of your beams should fall 3 inches below below the height mark you have made.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
wow never knew that trick. that's nice to know.

anyway, i'm guessing that you're good. if you turn on the car and the beams point down and level back up, and your Auto-Level light isn't on in your dash, they're probably working right. when you got the repair, I doubt anyone messed with the nut on the sensor (or whatever you want to call that thing)

·
Registered
31 Posts
you had a front end collision... and you are concerned about that ? Thats good but its the least of your worries my friend !

Check it out for sure not that you know how. I check mine buy adjusting them up gradually until people start to flash me. Around here they are quick to do it so I always keep them adjusted

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuart said:
you had a front end collision... and you are concerned about that ? Thats good but its the least of your worries my friend !
No structural damage...just bumper cover, grill, headlights and hood. Some guy hit me from behind and pushed me into and under the bumper of the person in front of me.

At night, the left beam looks normal, but the right beam doesn't have its normal horizontal cutoff, but instead looks like it's at an angle, like this:

__ /

except not as pronounced. Anyway, I called the shop, and they're going to check them for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could this be due to bulb orientation within the reflector housing? In other words, is it possible the bulb has to be installed such that the filament is oriented in a certain direction, like horizontally?

I can't think of any other reason the right beam should be at an angle like that. Other than the leveling function, which just sets the correct beam height, are there any other adjustments that can be made to the headlight?

Thanks again for your help guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.