Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Emanage and a set of valve springs (dont really know if that is needed, but good for insurance) for up to 7000rpm. Anything after that and you are on your own dude.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I heard that a tourque converter can really improve ur RPM range. If you have a good $800 layin around...

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
u mean more like $1100? labor =D

·
Registered
41 Posts
haha well ya...naturally, but what $300? :suspiciou

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
standalone + brand new stiffer set of valve springs, retainers and guides.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
dadasups1 said:
it will convert your torque...duh
LOL

It will not increase anything. actually you will see a HP lose on the dyno even, but the car will certainly be faster. The torque convertor is what the automatics have in place of a cool thing like the clutch that we manual guys have. The difference is that it has clutch packs (ie more than one mating surface, hydroaulic in nature and slips w/o adverse effects like with a manual clutch slipping.

EDIT: You DO NOT need a standalone or retainers or guides unless the springs you opt for require new retainers and guides

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
kponti, the torque converter does no such thing as act like a clutch. What the torque converter does is act as a torque multiplier through the transmission fluid. It is able to increase the ammount of torque by up to 13 times the engine output.

Read up on it at howstuffworks.com :)

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Seven said:
kponti, the torque converter does no such thing as act like a clutch. What the torque converter does is act as a torque multiplier through the transmission fluid. It is able to increase the ammount of torque by up to 13 times the engine output.

I understand what you are saying, but in a way the torque convertor does act as a clutch, but not in the conventional sense. Yes it muiltiples the engines torque (one of its functions), but how does it do that? By slipping (like a bad clutch) and building a rotational force in its chamber. While its slipping, the trans isnt exactly turning as fast as should. That is how a clutch works. No its not like a manual trans clutch, but it acts like a clutch between the engine and trans. But thats just one of its functions and it has a few more like what you stated.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Packersuck69 said:
IF it slows don't your car's HP how would somthing like this be beneifical then?
It does not slow your car down. It has the advantage of torque multiplication (kinda like putting smaller gears in the differential does). So in theory you can have as much as 2-3 times the torque your IS puts down at 3000RPM with a 3000RPM stall convertor. You will not be able to measure that on a dyno accurately but sometines it is seen on the dyno as a torque spike if the convertor is left unlocked. When you go to higher RPM, it locks, ie direct connection between crank and trans gears. So you dont really loose a lot at high rpm (unless you have a 4-5K rpm stall convertor). Also what you loose uptop is more than made up for downlow. Dont forget a 10RWHP gain or loss is not that noticable even if you are racing side by side.

·
Registered
903 Posts
This might sound stupid, but if you bump up the redline, won't it be pointless since for the most part the engine isn't tuned for it? and even if you did the proper mods and what not, wouldn't this affect the longevity of the engine? A 7000-7500 rpm redline would be more fun. But is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The 2JZ is a strong motor and I've seen a 1JZ rev out to 11 grand before on the dyno here once. But that was a completely built motor that wound up granading on it's 4th run on the track. A sweet car. So i think with the right rods yes you are increasing wear when you go upto 7500 rpms but as long as you do the supporting mods i really don't think that 1000 rpms would really kill your motor, unless you are at 6500 + all the time. Think most of the time you shift at or before 4 grand.

It's not the fact that you have more power up there, but the fact that you can hang on to a better gear longer and not to mention you enter into the next gear at a better rpm, kinda like that drop from second into 3rd you feel.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Seven said:

Haha I was just about to say that. :) That's where I learned about it.

sISp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts