Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while racing... i tend to push my car as hard as i can... in doing so... i often hit the rev limiter.... pending on how i shift will determine how long i hit the rev limiter...

when using the e-shift...i usually hit the limiter about 2 times before it shifts into the next gear... (this mainly happens in only the lower gears)

when using the stick and droppin it down into the "L" position.... i feel like the car has alot more torque....when i shift into second..it hits the limiter at least 3 or 4 times... which slows me down considerably... but a few times when i caught second well... it chirped.. i dont try this method that often..but i really feel this is more precise in terms of shifting than using the e-shift... this way feels like the rpms are being held higher when shifting as compared to the e-shift...

what are ur thoughts??

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
the rev limiter is there for a reason, and it will help save you from blowing your engine, but if you keep going over redline, you will screw up your car, I'm fairly certain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
originally posted by s0yb0mb:
but if you keep going over redline
I was under the impression that the rev limiter kicked in before redline, but s0yb0mb's post suggests otherwise. At what RPM does it kick in?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the rev limiter is essentially redline, the factory doesn't want you to exceed it.

tical....i bounce off of the rev limiter in my fwd talon turbo all of the time while spinning, it is even less hard on a car that isn't turboed, but there is a chance of messing something up, be it a small one, but there is some chance. i've seen cars throw a rod from riding the rev limiter for a long time (over a couple of minutes) , so some damage can come out of it, but none will probably come from the examples you typed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There are quite a few engines that can handle high rpm well past its redline. In these cases the revlimiter is set at just after the point where power drops off. Whats the use of reving that high if there is no power in that range. So the rev limiter is set up for one of two purposes, to keep from damaging the engine or to keep the engine from drastically dropping off in power. Not sure how well the IS3 engine flows, so I wouldnt be able to tell you either or. I bang my rev limiter constantly, most the time by accident or when I do a burn out. If you ever watched BM videos youll see these guys constantly in the red and bangin away at the limiter on all the cars. Doesnt seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hehe, so thats what that was. I did that in 2nd gear tonight, kinda felt like the engine was stalling, then i shifted to 3rd. Oh well.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by RACER-X:
hehe, so thats what that was. I did that in 2nd gear tonight, kinda felt like the engine was stalling, then i shifted to 3rd. Oh well.
Nah, the car will automatically shift from 2nd to 3rd if you redline it... after that, it will not shift for you... hence the rev limiter/tach bounce at redline in 3/4 gears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts