Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew. What a day. I will of course post my install and a detailed review, but for now, let me say: Perfect!

After my post-install test drive, I measured all four corners again and it's about a 1" drop all the way around. This is perfect for me since my 18x8 wheels come to the edge of the fender so I can't drop too far.

The ride feels great! It's not too stiff and bumps do not feel harsh. It's not bouncy at all. The difference on first ride feels like the difference between the spring change between the '02 auto and the '02 manual. I will know more after I drive on them tomorrow.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, here's a pic. It's dark and rainy out (and my car is filthy) so no full body shots until later. This is immediately after my post-install test drive. I expect them to settle a little bit more. Wheels are 18x8 with 235/40/18 tires.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2pac said:
nice looking set up, tell us if you are hearing any noises and how the ride quality is.
No noises. Ride quality is great. Not bouncy or harsh. Speed bumps are taken almost stock-like. But there is very noticable improvement - the car plants much nicer into corners for one thing. And it loosened up the rear a little too, doesn't break out so easily now (a Good Thing).

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TK288 said:
so is it necessary to get an alignment if i only drop about an 1 inch only???
It doesn't look like it. In that there was no VISIBLE change to camber with the amount of drop from these springs.

That being said, I think ANY car could use a real alignment fresh off the lot, so after changing springs, I would do it for sure.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
webmaster said:
TK288 said:
It doesn't look like it. In that there was no VISIBLE change to camber with the amount of drop from these springs.

That being said, I think ANY car could use a real alignment fresh off the lot, so after changing springs, I would do it for sure.

well put... it is always a good idea......

Hey tony what springs were you on before, stock...?

i would like to hear more feedback as you develop your feel for the changes.. .thanks

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
edgy said:
webmaster said:
TK288 said:

well put... it is always a good idea......

Hey tony what springs were you on before, stock...?

i would like to hear more feedback as you develop your feel for the changes.. .thanks
ok thanks....

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the Hotchkis springs replaced stock springs still on stock (02 Manual) shocks. I'm still driving them before I write my review as there is more to learn and feel. That's also why I'm still waiting to install the PLP bars (though I did install the brackets). One mod at a time!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Since the specs say that the rear spring is softer than stock (186 vs 210), and lowers the car less than the front, my intuition tells me that the tail will waggle like a fish when zigzagging. Can you tell us what it's like? Also these springs don't have progressive spring rate, how much improvement is it over the stock handling? Seems like all you'll get is a 10% increased stiffness in the front with a more forward tilt. It would be nice if you can post a pic of the whole car's side view.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.