Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Price aside would you get the Hotchkis or the Tien S-tech spring? I'm about to buy some springs with Tokico Illuminas and don't know which is better.

I heard that the Hotchkis are really soft in the back and rub or bounce alot.

...so price aside, which should I get out of those two?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
id say hotchkis just cause they are on sale in the .net store

·
Bugaloo
654 Posts
Hotchkis :approve: they are soft in the back which prevents bouncing... The ride is similar to stock... the only disadvantage of have a lower spring rate in the rear, is with added wieght i.e. rear passengers... they tend to sag.. which can make nasty speed bumbs a chore..

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...no one else? So what alot of you guys are saying is Hotchkis is better out of the two as far a comfort wise, correct?

I know both have a simlilar drop height but which is lower, do you know exectly?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I would get the s-techs. I love mine and always have four people in the car w/ 19's and hardly ever rub, only if i hit a big dip and fast speeds and even then its not that bad of a rub. I got mine off ebay for 145 shipped :bigSmile: cant beat that for those springs

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Hotchkis and S-techs are on the different end of the spectrum. The s-techs are significantly stiffer in rate both front and rear and drop your car ultra low like the H&R springs.

If you hardly EVER have any passengers or weight in the car, and dont care about scraping here and there, and having negative camber, go with the s-techs.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
damn it's hard to tell which to go with because everyone has their own opinion... "AltezzaBob" would you recomend Hotchkis to someone who rides with passengers in the back?

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I have loved my Hotchkis springs since day 1! I haven't experienced any problems with rubbing. With more people in the car though, the IS rides nice and low. I love how it looks! I think the only time you would rub would be backing out of a parking spot with the wheel turned all of the way to one side.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hotchkis for stock rim/tire, strongly agree. S-Tech for aftermarket rim/tire, agree.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
MY2J said:
damn it's hard to tell which to go with because everyone has their own opinion... "AltezzaBob" would you recomend Hotchkis to someone who rides with passengers in the back?
with passengers in the back all the time, i would say no. since the rear would sag alot lower than stechs with passengers in the rear with such lower of a spring rate, even MORE negative camber = hardly any rear tire road contact and bouncy in the rear.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
with passengers in the back all the time, i would say no. since the rear would sag alot lower than stechs with passengers in the rear with such lower of a spring rate, even MORE negative camber = hardly any rear tire road contact and bouncy in the rear.
any camber kit out there to cure this negative camber issue? I saw and read a few threads but seems like there's no one outthere offers a kit.... :(

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
OKCIS said they were bad when he had them. I dunno. I personally like the looks of the stechs. They look great.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
hmmmm....glad i have no friends to put in the back of my car when i finally get my hotchkis' installed....

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I have 18x7.5 and 225/40/18 all around and have no problems on the hotchkis. I've had 4 people in my car before and didn't have any problems. Maybe speed bumps would be an issue though.

Dakomo said:
Hotchkis for stock rim/tire, strongly agree. S-Tech for aftermarket rim/tire, agree.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I have the s - techs with Tokico Illuminas shocks and I love the set up. Its very comfortable and rides almost like stock on the low settings. I had three people in my car this weekend and hit a huge dip in the road that I didn't know was there and didn't bottom out or scrape. But it is a hard choice because I road in a IS with the Hotchkis springs and stock shocks and it was a great ride too. good luck

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
O3 said:
any camber kit out there to cure this negative camber issue? I saw and read a few threads but seems like there's no one outthere offers a kit.... :(
dont think there is a camber kit. i've seen alot for sale and advertised, just neve bought it myself, or seen it, installed it or heard much from people installing it.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
dont think there is a camber kit. i've seen alot for sale and advertised, just neve bought it myself, or seen it, installed it or heard much from people installing it.
altezzabob, i did search and somewhat found out that the hotchkis springs will settled at 1.5" all around. is this true? and another thing, what type of shocks/damper would you recommend for hotchkis springs? koni adjustables are looking good, along with tokico illuminas :)

thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts