Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2001 IS300, everything is great so far, but I notice that there is alot of hot air coming out from the passenger side, right next to the door. and near the rear wheel, just wonder if that is normal, it seems like the hot air is from the fan in front of the car and blowing it on the engine, then go under the car. but I just not sure if this is normal. I mean the driver side is nice and cool, thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
Who's your passenger?

:lol: I don't think I'm even going to go there...too easy :shame:


What do you mean "and near the rear wheel"? Hot air comes out of your exhaust...it's supposed to be that way. Where specifically on the passenger side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
Please explain your problem.

Do you mean you feel hot air coming from the passenger side when sitting in the car? Is it coming through the air vents?

You said coming from the door and next to the wheel??? Where exactly is it coming from?

If it seems unusual to you, it wouldn't hurt for you to give your local Lexus service dept. a call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is not in the car, it is outside of the car, like if I got out of the car, then stand next to the passenger door for like 5 sec, you will feel the hot air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
platinumplayas said:
it is not in the car, it is outside of the car, like if I got out of the car, then stand next to the passenger door for like 5 sec, you will feel the hot air.
So this is with the door closed? I don't mean to offend you b/c I'm sure this is a serious issue for you, but this is sounding like a Jerky Boys situation :lol:

In all seriousness though, could it just be the hot exhaust fumes blowing back toward you when you stand next to the rear passenger side wheel? Maybe a heat shield is out of place? Can you pinpoint exactly where you feel the heat coming from? Still too vague. There's nothing blowing heat on that side (unless something is off in your engine bay on that side and it's escaping through a loose tube up throug the hood).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I feel the heat when I am next to the front passenger door, door close, it seems like the heat is from the engine or something, my theory is that the fan is blowing on the engine then, then heat escape from the bottom of the car. that is my theory, I hope it is nothing serious, because I love this car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
platinumplayas said:
well, I feel the heat when I am next to the front passenger door, door close, it seems like the heat is from the engine or something, my theory is that the fan is blowing on the engine then, then heat escape from the bottom of the car. that is my theory, I hope it is nothing serious, because I love this car
Okay, now that's more specific! I would have your Lexus service dept check to see that none of the heat shields or panels have popped loose. The I6 in the IS generates ALOT of heat!!! This is normal...but if you think there's quite a bit of heat coming from a particular side, then I think it couldn't hurt to call your service advisor.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
platinumplayas said:
so let say it is from the rotor, is this normal
I not sure if it is normal or not, but the other day when I went to wash my car after coming home off of the freeway, the rotor on the driver's side front wheel would smoke, or steam, every time that I sprayed water on them. So yes, I would think that it is normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Hell ya its normal!!! Do you know hot hot those things get?? In video games where you see the rotor glow at night.. Thats not too far off.

Thats why all wheel cleaners say use on cool rim, if you spray the rotor while hot it evoprates and then you inhale the chemical...

COmpletely normal dude......

Is300 just has big breaks u know....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
cryptkeeper said:
platinumplayas said:
so let say it is from the rotor, is this normal
I not sure if it is normal or not, but the other day when I went to wash my car after coming home off of the freeway, the rotor on the driver's side front wheel would smoke, or steam, every time that I sprayed water on them. So yes, I would think that it is normal.
You shouldnt do that. Let them cool down before washing, otherwise they MAY crack from the temperature difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
heat may be coming from the catalic converter that is located right under the passengers seat. That would be my guess. Yes, it's normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
OZIS200 said:
cryptkeeper said:
platinumplayas said:
so let say it is from the rotor, is this normal
I not sure if it is normal or not, but the other day when I went to wash my car after coming home off of the freeway, the rotor on the driver's side front wheel would smoke, or steam, every time that I sprayed water on them. So yes, I would think that it is normal.
You shouldnt do that. Let them cool down before washing, otherwise they MAY crack from the temperature difference.
Thanks for the info, I just got my IS like 3 weeks ago, so I am still learning. I am glad I found this out before I cracked my rotors. I woulda been :pissed: if I cracked them and had to pay to get new ones.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top