Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide over a is300 or a S281 Super Charged Saleen Mustang. I really like the looks of the IS, but I think it lacks power. I like the Saleen for its 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance for the money, but underneath it's still a ford. Any suggestions? what do you think of a Saleen Mustang?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Why get a Mustang when you can get a Firebird Formula or a Camaro Z28?

Or even better: Trans Am or Camaro SS

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
B/C the Mustang is less cheesy than the Trans Am/Firebird or Z28. That's why.

Originally posted by JW:
Why get a Mustang when you can get a Firebird Formula or a Camaro Z28?

Or even better: Trans Am or Camaro SS

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get a corvette. That way you can have style and horsepower. I hate GM, but even I'll admit that the corvette rocks.

Originally posted by Aztec:
I can't decide over a is300 or a S281 Super Charged Saleen Mustang. I really like the looks of the IS, but I think it lacks power. I like the Saleen for its 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance for the money, but underneath it's still a ford. Any suggestions? what do you think of a Saleen Mustang?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
i like the vette (almost bought one until i realized the practicality sux), but the quality is standard GM fare. my friend has one, and within the first few months, he had:

a blown Bose speaker
another blown Bose speaaker
the radio/amp replaced
traction control wouldn't turn off (bad switch)
chintzy fit and finish

I'd go with the used NSX. At least there you get dramatic looks and good build quality.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think it all depends on how old you are.. I'd say typically, a "kid" would want something agressive, sporty, and can lay down large patches of premium rubber.. in high school, it didn't really matter that one of the kids had an M3.. I ripped him a new one every chance I got and thats all that mattered to me and the girl I was trying to impress (mind you, this was in the late 80s).. on the other hand, the "older" crowd more than likely experienced this in their younger years and have therefore grown to appreciate the refinement and quality that can be found in a car such as a Lexus..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to go with the IS. It appeals to me more, plus insurance would probably be cheaper than on a Super Charged Saleen Mustang. I'll probably wait a couple of months until the 2002 model comes out with a manual tranny

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't know what the insurance rates are like where you live, but my insurance agent quoted me a lower rate for the NSX than for an IS, Viggen, CLK, and S2000. He said it was because the NSX has a low theft rate and an extremely low rate of injury claims.

Originally posted by Aztec:
I think I'm going to go with the IS. It appeals to me more, plus insurance would probably be cheaper than on a Super Charged Saleen Mustang. I'll probably wait a couple of months until the 2002 model comes out with a manual tranny

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by RCGsupra:
Why not get a Supra TT for around $20-$35,000? Great style and speed for an unbeatable price. Much better than a NSX

supra better than an nsx? um, NO

see a doctor about that head injury STAT

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
People do mod NSXs. Ever heard of Comptech? Then again, maybe no one mods the NSX because they have no money to after spending the ~$90K to buy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even a stock Supra TT will beat or equal an NSX in every category, other than looks, which is a judgement call. NSX's look nice, but they are all show, no go, especially when stock. Comptech does mod NSX's, but even with the full supercharger and every mod they offer, you are barely tipping 350hp. If Supras were sold under the Lexus name and were a bit more aesthetically pleasing, it would probably still be for sale in the US.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
16 Participants
HIBBoyScott
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing