Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This feels like the right forum for this question.

I have an '01 IS300 auto no LSD with just over 100k on the clock. All stock. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 215/45ZR17 with very good tread left.

I have had the car for just at 3 months. 2 of which the car spent on stands while i sorted out the abundance of maintenance that was not done. So I am just now driving it regularly.

What I have found is that the car has horrible traction leaving a stop if there is any sort of gravel/dirt on the road. I have not yet driven it in the rain but I imagine it will be an interesting time in the wet. There are 2 areas I have to pull out from weekly that have gravel and sand on the road. Both are stops that I am turning at. One is a U turn stop light, (new no left turn interaction BS but that's another topic all together) next to a concrete plant so there is a ton of sand on the road and it is very hair raising. I literally have to baby it around the U turn to keep traction.

So, is this normal? I don't see how anything mechanical could cause this poor of traction so I assume it's just the nature of the car.

I will add, this isn't hard core stop light taking off. I know it is objective but I am accelerating by what most would consider normal just trying to pull out.

I have owned all kinds of cars/truck/motorcycles and driven countless others in my many years driving. I have never experienced a car that gets as loose as this one. Not that I can remember anyway.

Thanks,
A.W.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
This feels like the right forum for this question.

I have an '01 IS300 auto no LSD with just over 100k on the clock. All stock. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 215/45ZR17 with very good tread left.

I have had the car for just at 3 months. 2 of which the car spent on stands while i sorted out the abundance of maintenance that was not done. So I am just now driving it regularly.

What I have found is that the car has horrible traction leaving a stop if there is any sort of gravel/dirt on the road. I have not yet driven it in the rain but I imagine it will be an interesting time in the wet. There are 2 areas I have to pull out from weekly that have gravel and sand on the road. Both are stops that I am turning at. One is a U turn stop light, (new no left turn interaction BS but that's another topic all together) next to a concrete plant so there is a ton of sand on the road and it is very hair raising. I literally have to baby it around the U turn to keep traction.

So, is this normal? I don't see how anything mechanical could cause this poor of traction so I assume it's just the nature of the car.

I will add, this isn't hard core stop light taking off. I know it is objective but I am accelerating by what most would consider normal just trying to pull out.

I have owned all kinds of cars/truck/motorcycles and driven countless others in my many years driving. I have never experienced a car that gets as loose as this one. Not that I can remember anyway.

Thanks,
A.W.
Ease up on the throttle or get an LSD. I would get the LSD. Cheapest way if you cannot find a factory auto is300 LSD. Go with the FRS/BRZ. It only will turn 200 more RPM and will come off the line better.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have found with the 2J over the 1G i had before, the IS300 has enough torque to pick up a wheel fairly easily without trying depending on what tires you have. It came with a set of Toyo which i didnt appreciate until budget constraints led to putting a cheap set of tires on and it has never had the same grip level. I can hear the LSD lock up pulling out of our driveway some mornings and thats just feathering the throttle but with a hard turn and stone chip tarmac. Its certainly not the worst car ive driven for traction though, and in most general day to day driving, turning, pulling out etc. i find it really good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ease up on the throttle or get an LSD. I would get the LSD. Cheapest way if you cannot find a factory auto is300 LSD. Go with the FRS/BRZ. It only will turn 200 more RPM and will come off the line better.
Cant ease up any more than I already am at that U Turn stop light. Any more and i would honestly bring traffic to a halt. It is basically like a beach side board walk. Not exaggerating. I suppose it is probably worst case situation and all the other cars around me will likely be having the same issue. So I will deal with that. An LSD will likely be a future upgrade once all the broken bits have been dealt with and I can recoup some cash. Thank you for the advice.

I have found with the 2J over the 1G i had before, the IS300 has enough torque to pick up a wheel fairly easily without trying depending on what tires you have. It came with a set of Toyo which i didnt appreciate until budget constraints led to putting a cheap set of tires on and it has never had the same grip level. I can hear the LSD lock up pulling out of our driveway some mornings and thats just feathering the throttle but with a hard turn and stone chip tarmac. Its certainly not the worst car ive driven for traction though, and in most general day to day driving, turning, pulling out etc. i find it really good.
Yeah day to day and normal driving it is great. I have not noticed any issues with traction. Good to hear you experience a similar thing on stone covered asphalt. My last RWD car was a manual E30 325is and I dont recall ever having an issue with it. Then again, totally different car. Thank you for your input. Very helpful.

So how is in the rain? I guess straight line should be ok? We havnet had rain in a really long time and not sure when we will. Would like to know what to expect. Never thought I would be asking such a basic thing but here we are. =)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I dont really have any issues unless im getting near full lock or am trying to pull out a bit quicker than normal, and again alot is down to tires and road conditions. Straight line is hardly ever an issue unless im giving it the slipper, but most of the time im cruising like the old man i am (. . . becoming . . . :p)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Getting a used LSD pumpkin is fairly affordable. I have an 05 5-speed, so obviously, no LSD. Had an auto LSD with 3.93 gears put in, and was one of my best mods.

Just out of curiosity, are you driving with ECT on, and TRAC on?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting a used LSD pumpkin is fairly affordable. I have an 05 5-speed, so obviously, no LSD. Had an auto LSD with 3.93 gears put in, and was one of my best mods.

Just out of curiosity, are you driving with ECT on, and TRAC on?
I did look up a used compete LSD read end and yea, it was crazy cheap. My 70 C10 rear end rebuild without an LSD was stupid expensive in comparison.

And yea, i have trac on and cant turn off ECT as far as i know. So i would say it is on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont really have any issues unless im getting near full lock or am trying to pull out a bit quicker than normal, and again alot is down to tires and road conditions. Straight line is hardly ever an issue unless im giving it the slipper, but most of the time im cruising like the old man i am (. . . becoming . . . :p)
My traction is off, so its always flashing. Button does not work, so I just unplugged it and then went to the dash and took out the bulb.

I live in Florida, and the road by me I use most of the time has nice big, open intersection, so with it not raining and only being wet...... worst idea ever. No LSD, and the way I corrected was, Slide, fish tail, over correct, over correct, over correct. Oh boy I saved it, was sketch as hell.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My traction is off, so its always flashing. Button does not work, so I just unplugged it and then went to the dash and took out the bulb.

I live in Florida, and the road by me I use most of the time has nice big, open intersection, so with it not raining and only being wet...... worst idea ever. No LSD, and the way I corrected was, Slide, fish tail, over correct, over correct, over correct. Oh boy I saved it, was sketch as hell.
If it is flashing. You have an issue. Like ABS sensor or TPS etc..

What codes are you getting.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I haven't done any OBD-ll scans lol. SInce I have gotten the car, I have not checked for codes, soo yeah.
Wait, TPS? Throttle Position Sensor? If I did the spacer for the pedal, do I have to do anything else?
No, For the spacer deal. I would run the codes at a local auto parts store. It will perform better with no codes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, For the spacer deal. I would run the codes at a local auto parts store. It will perform better with no codes.
I can get a OBD-ll reader, it's at my dad's work, he's changing jobs and stuff cause GM is being weird. I'll have him look at it when we change the oil pan and stuff. He is a technician so I don't wanna screw stuff up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts