Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite i wanted to relocate the horn...
But where ever i put it ... the horns won't work... but when i put it back to the stock position it works back again...
I try to put it sideways, slanted, and backwards... and even the same position as the stock ones but in another location... it still wouldn't work...
Why is that?
I have seen other ppl relocate their horns but they don't seem to have any problems...
Does anyone know why is that?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
you have to make sure they're grounded properly w/ a stainless steel bolt, or some other way (i was using the hook end of a coat hanger wrapped around the center bar for a while :eek: )

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aznxmutt21 said:
you have to make sure they're grounded properly w/ a stainless steel bolt, or some other way (i was using the hook end of a coat hanger wrapped around the center bar for a while :eek: )
What does "grounded" mean?
You mean i have to use a stainless still bolt or else my horns won't work? :-?

Thanks in advance :wink:

·
8,880 Posts
Electrical devices, such as horns, need 2 electrical wires to operate. If you look carefully on the connectors, there is only 1 wire running into it.
Why does it work then? Well, the second wire is connected to the metal body of the car. The horn has one of its terminals connected to the mounting bracket. Now, if the mounting bracket does not make a good contact with the metal body of the car, horns will not work. If you are installing them on a painted part of the body, you may want to run a wire from your mounting bolt to a good grounding point.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vlad_a said:
Electrical devices, such as horns, need 2 electrical wires to operate. If you look carefully on the connectors, there is only 1 wire running into it.
Why does it work then? Well, the second wire is connected to the metal body of the car. The horn has one of its terminals connected to the mounting bracket. Now, if the mounting bracket does not make a good contact with the metal body of the car, horns will not work. If you are installing them on a painted part of the body, you may want to run a wire from your mounting bolt to a good grounding point.
Oh!
I get it now... thanks for explain to me~

·
8,880 Posts
You're welcome! :D

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts