Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2007 250 with a 6spd. Everything seemed fine and during the last test drive I noticed a noise coming from the Transmission. When I press the clutch it makes a whirring noise, when I let it out the noise goes away. I was told it was the throw out bearing and that it needs to be replaced. So I call Lexus and they tell me 1300 for a clutch replacement and another 1300 for the fly wheel. I havent bought the car yet and the dealer wants 19k for it. It has 54k on the odometer. Should I buy it and replace the clutch ONLY or could there be flywheel damage as well? Or just say screw it and get the exact same car with an automatic for 500 dollars more? What do you all think? Either way I am getting an IS, my and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I am looking at a 2007 250 with a 6spd. Everything seemed fine and during the last test drive I noticed a noise coming from the Transmission. When I press the clutch it makes a whirring noise, when I let it out the noise goes away. I was told it was the throw out bearing and that it needs to be replaced. So I call Lexus and they tell me 1300 for a clutch replacement and another 1300 for the fly wheel. I havent bought the car yet and the dealer wants 19k for it. It has 54k on the odometer. Should I buy it and replace the clutch ONLY or could there be flywheel damage as well? Or just say screw it and get the exact same car with an automatic for 500 dollars more? What do you all think? Either way I am getting an IS, my and I absolutely love it.
Get the auto.

The manual in the 2IS is kinda crap, while the auto is highly reliable.

(and the auto is a 6 speed as well, FWIW... better mileage than the stick too)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, what do you all think about the price anyway? I found a few out here and they range in price from 19-24

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Well, depends on the optioning of the car... but I'd try and look for something with at least a little bit of full warranty left... (so less than 4 years since its in-service date, and under 50,000 miles)... this way you can get all the TSIB work done for free under the warranty, and also would have the option of buying an extended Lexus warranty from one of the several vendors that sell them relatively inexpensively.... MOST (but not all) 07s will still be under the 4 years, so mainly it's just finding one under 50k (and then verifying to in-service date with a dealer)

·
Registered
575 Posts
The dealer will honour all the TSIB whether or not within bumper-to-bumper. I asked. (My dealer anyway). And ya a lot of the 6MT have "noise issues", you'll find a few threads if u do a search. It's not stopping me, neither is the fuel economy or reliability, cause I really want a conventional stick, but if ur not too picky than get the auto.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The dealer will honour all the TSIB whether or not within bumper-to-bumper. I asked. (My dealer anyway).
That is certainly not the case in the US.

In fact the TSIBs all explicitly state they are only covered during the 4 yr/50k mile bumper to bumper.

You might well find a dealer willing to do one as a courtesy if you pay for all your other service there, but as a general rule they won't, since Lexus won't pay them for it outside of warranty.

recalls are another story.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is not the case in Canada either. Every TSB has a warranty section which tells you which warranty it applies to and how long it lasts. If you want it done after that, you're paying.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts