Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever hooked there subs up through the rear speaker wire?
how much worse does it sound then if i had a modded amp?

and does anyone know where i can buy one or know how to do it
thanks for anykind of help

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
has anyone ever hooked there subs up through the rear speaker wire?
how much worse does it sound then if i had a modded amp?

and does anyone know where i can buy one or know how to do it
thanks for anykind of help
I've hooked up a sub using a LLC and it sounded fine. I wouldn't use an LLC to add an amp for mids and highs since higher frequency distortion would be allowed through. I don't think you will have that problem with a sub and amp.

Plus, if you are running the stock headunit I doubt you would be able to tell the difference anyways.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm running mine off an LLC on the right rear speaker. It isnt cometition quality, but still pretty damn good. Thats going to be the cheapest/least intrusive way to go if you're running a stock HU.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't believe it will sound too terrible. You can get a crossover or an amp with high/low pass filters. Another solution might be a dual voice coil sub. Most lows are recorded on both stereo channels so you won't be missing much by using only one side - someone correct me if I'm wrong:p

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think thats what im gonna end up doing i just want more bass and i dnt got the money to redo my entire system at the time

·
Registered
254 Posts
i would never hook up subs to rear speaker wire. NO POWER!!! aka no point. for the record i am not hating but im saying the truth. trust me i was in the roadshop for circuit city and i have seen people come in with those setups...for lack of better words, garbage

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
ok, this thread has some miss-information that needs to be taken care of...

First off, when talking about tapping the rear speakers for a signal for the sub, I'm not talking about getting POWER from there (fresh2deaf)....just the signal
The LOC will just get the audio signal from the rear speaker wires and turn it into a low level RCA signal that can be used by a subwoofer amp. Then you run RCA's from the LOC to the amp and speaker wire from the amp to the sub. :)

zelakil, you are right. Most amps have active crossovers built into them. You can use the LP (low pass) filter to control the sub to only play sub bass frequencies. This is something you should do anyways when running any sub

For those who don't know what a LOC (line out converter) is, here is one made by scosche. It basically takes a speaker level signal and turns it into a low level signal for RCA's.
SCOSCHE LOC80 2-Channel Adjustable Line-Out Converter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts