Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
there's a guy in INSIDE & OUT working on the problem, but he's looking to charge $150 for 2 shocks and the mounting brackets... insane i tell you. I mean i believe that he's legit and trying to do some good for all, and that his costs may be really high, but you'd have to drug me b4 i paid that much.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I may have to try that out, do we have cut holes in those positions?

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
who wants to be the guinea pig for that?

personally i haven't noticed any mounting holes like in that diagram on my car.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
bartkat said:
Gee, even my cheap ole 94 Firebird has a hood lift assist.
Probably because the hood weighs 500 lbs. :lol:

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
there's a guy in INSIDE & OUT working on the problem, but he's looking to charge $150 for 2 shocks and the mounting brackets... insane i tell you. I mean i believe that he's legit and trying to do some good for all, and that his costs may be really high, but you'd have to drug me b4 i paid that much.
Sorry s0y, them brackets are gonna cost me :( laser cut and powdercoated.

the only prob with this part is that it doesn't just screw in. No holes there.

webmaster let us know what you find. All I know is i got over 100hours on this one so far.

Fig

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't mean to step on your toes Fig.

I just was curious, cause that would be too good to be true and the deal of the century as far as Toyota (Lexus) OE parts is concerned.

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
DHCrocks said:
I didn't mean to step on your toes Fig.

I just was curious, cause that would be too good to be true and the deal of the century as far as Toyota (Lexus) OE parts is concerned.
hell yeah it would. That is why I want the webmaster to order it :) Heck the struts are $30 by themselves :lol:

·
Nygmatic
2,572 Posts
um for 12.10? i would believe its just the rod we have already, just an oem replacement. its not the airshock assist that Fig is working on. shocks themselves cost a minimum of 20 bucks each.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Frydryce said:
um for 12.10? i would believe its just the rod we have already, just an oem replacement. its not the airshock assist that Fig is working on. shocks themselves cost a minimum of 20 bucks each.
Could be, but it certainly wouldn't be true to the accompanying illustration then.

Aha! It has changed. There is no longer a picture available. And the "product notes" detailing bolt torque specs are gone. Hmm.

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
Fig said:
s0yb0mb said:

webmaster let us know what you find. All I know is i got over 100hours on this one so far.

Fig
yeah man, i wasn't bashing you, i'm jsut saying for what it does, that's a lot of $ to shell out. why lazer cut & powder coated? why not stamped and zinc'd?

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
Fig said:
s0yb0mb said:

Fig
yeah man, i wasn't bashing you, i'm jsut saying for what it does, that's a lot of $ to shell out. why lazer cut & powder coated? why not stamped and zinc'd?
I would have to invest in the tooling for the stamp :) Zinc plating isn't bad, just thought more people would like the appearance that matched the car. Its all good, I know where you are coming from. I amke all my own stuff because I hate paying money to anybody else :p :crazy:

If I can get the volume up the kit cost can be reduced by 25% to 50%. I can buy toolling etc.

Fig

·
Registered
935 Posts
DHCrocks said:
anyone try this yet? it's only $12.10 and a genuine Toyota part I think. Does it really fit our car or is that a misslisting of a part.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?SubCategoryID=90&ModelID=19
What the heck are you looking at there? I don't see anything like a hood "shock" listed there. That $12.10 item is the metal hood prop rod that we all already have, that's all.

I'll bet you're right about it being an official Toyota/Lexus part though :lol:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wjbertrand said:
DHCrocks said:
anyone try this yet? it's only $12.10 and a genuine Toyota part I think. Does it really fit our car or is that a misslisting of a part.

What the heck are you looking at there? I don't see anything like a hood "shock" listed there. That $12.10 item is the metal hood prop rod that we all already have, that's all.

They changed the website, I guess someone that works there comes on here and heard about it.

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
DHCrocks said:
wjbertrand said:
DHCrocks said:

They changed the website, I guess someone that works there comes on here and heard about it.
Yeah it definitely showed a shock connecting to the fender wall and tying into the hood. Damn, there is all kinds of bad info out there, why do they do that to us. :x :crazy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts