Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just thought I would start a new thread to give updates on the kit and its availability. Here are the results from this weeks prototyping.
I need to create drawings for the resulting brackets and get everything quoted out. I also need to secure a supplier for the air struts since these were the last two at pep boys ;) If anyone has suggestions for bracket colors besides a dark grey or black please post here. Also an aluminum version will be available for those show guys out there, whith various anodized colors. I have to say, I am stoked I finally got this wrapped up. Now just the last mile to go. Again, no holes to drill and should install in lest than 30 minutes! Thanks all.

UPDATE:
First laser cut brackets are back. These brackets have a step in them so they mount on the outside of the hood hinge instead of between it and the hood material. In an effort to save some cost I had taken one of the formed hems of the one side of the bracket. After installing these however I find that it is necessary for strength. On these proto parts I will have a strengthening band spot welded on so that you guys can get some in your hands. Also, the 400N struts are too strong but the 150N struts should work great on the carbon. Here are the pics of the first manufactured brackets in action. You can see that the drivers side has bent slightly. This actually occurs when the hood is closed and the strut pushes back on the bracket, causing it to bend downward. I think I have a handle on the first round issues and should be able to correct these within the week. Get some different struts etc. Here are the updated pics.
Brackets

close ups of all locations
Driver's side fender

Driver's side hood

Driver's side complete

pass. side fender

pass. side hood

pass. side complete

These is how far the 400N struts will support the weight of the hood. too much, they should be just able to hold it up at full extension.

So that is the first round, the fender brackets are proto design and the final version will have a place to mount the fuse box as well as more clearance around the bolt head.

If you are intereseted in first round parts spot welded parts, PM me for pricing please. Or send email to [email protected]

Thanks everyone.

Fig

·
Registered
584 Posts
that looks awesome man, great design and clean install. i will keep up to date with this thread as i'm very interested in a set of these. again nice job!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Re: Hood prop kit soon available

Fig said:
Hello all. Just thought I would start a new thread to give updates on the kit and its availability. Here are the results from this weeks prototyping.
I need to create drawings for the resulting brackets and get everything quoted out. I also need to secure a supplier for the air struts since these were the last two at pep boys ;) If anyone has suggestions for bracket colors besides a dark grey or black please post here. Also an aluminum version will be available for those show guys out there, whith various anodized colors. I have to say, I am stoked I finally got this wrapped up. Now just the last mile to go. Again, no holes to drill and should install in lest than 30 minutes! Thanks all.

Fig

Still haven't removed the stock hood stick, its too cold out ;) Both sides installed.

this is what the bracket started as, but I ended up changing it to put the force where it needed to be.

Passenger side bracket installed.

Sweet...

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T Man said:
Put me down for an aluminum set as well, although I am interested in what anodized colors you will have. :D
I am thinking of the following, clear, black, red, or blue all depends.

It should take me a couple weeks to get that together, right after the steel kits are done :)

Thanks guys!

Gimmie a little time on the pricing, I need to get some quotes out. 8) $100- $150 is my goal.

Fig

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
some owners hood props actually break...or the holder thing actually snaps off because the weak pos plastic clip... :x

its not that we're lazy....psshhh....yeah right :lol:

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lil' IS 300 said:
StarScream430 said:
Great Idea... but are Americans that LAZY that we cant prop our own hoods? :lol:
YES! :lol:
Yes, we also need soft toilet paper :lol:
Well mine broke and its been driving me nuts. (Like a steering wheel in my pants ) ;)
Thanks for the interest guys. I finished my drawing last night, just a few more steps to go.
Fig

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.