Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my IS has been stolen, and put back together, and everything is perfect. I'm thinking about my options. Bottom line, I need more power. As much as I love the IS and this body style, its just too slow for MPG. I mean I can justify spending $45 for 300 miles of driving if I have 300HP, but not for 215. :(

Of course a stage 1 TurboEast kit would put the car at around 380 base horsepower, but like everyone knows turbo'ing an IS is nothing but more and more $.

Now of course you guys want to know what I'm looking at as a replacement for the IS, and its a 350Z. :)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
MonStar1120 said:
Now of course you guys want to know what I'm looking at as a replacement for the IS, and its a 350Z. :)
IMO, You'll regret it. I was a Nissan rep for the past 3 years, and I've
seen it all....the car has issues.

Boost the IS and call it a day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
MonStar1120 said:
Now that my IS has been stolen, and put back together, and everything is perfect. I'm thinking about my options. Bottom line, I need more power. As much as I love the IS and this body style, its just too slow for MPG. I mean I can justify spending $45 for 300 miles of driving if I have 300HP, but not for 215. :(

Of course a stage 1 TurboEast kit would put the car at around 380 base horsepower, but like everyone knows turbo'ing an IS is nothing but more and more $.

Do what you feel fit; if it were up to me and I had the cash to buy and maintain a different car; I might have to go with an E36 M3, or a B5 S4. That said; I could not justify trading the IS300 for a 350Z due to their list of annoying small problems (tire feathering, clutch rattle, headlight condensation). My friend has an 03 350Z track model and while the car is a real eye catcher, the interior trim pieces look like Chrysler made it 3 years ago; the dead pedal is falling off, wndow switch panels are not lined up well, blah blah... But its a fast car, and looks great. Heres a pic of his car:

If only that car was as solid as it looked!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, S2000 or 350Z. Sorry I didn't mention the S.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wisky said:
If only that car was as solid as it looked!
i have to agree with the above.. i know 3-350z owners and they all have nothing but problems...

check this out
http://wcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=77516&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=48

EDIT: video may not load anymore but the 350z was on the CBS news special report or something about a suspension problem that Nissan has no fix for that causes un even wear or premature wear on the front tires? i forget exactly but search for a 350z forum and i am sure you will find more infor about it

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly a boosted Lexus is 100x more rare than a 350Z, there's no question about that. Its just so hard to justify the gas the IS eats up. :(

·
Registered
661 Posts
MonStar1120 said:
BTW, S2000 or 350Z. Sorry I didn't mention the S.
If I didnt need any cargo room at all; I would really look into an S2K, another one of my friends owns one and the car seems like an absolute blast to drive. Having the ability to put the top down on a nice warm night makes me jealous. But its not fast unless you keep the revs above 6 grand though. And of course theres always the bad sides, ive heard of issues from blown motors due to burning oil, 1st gear popping out on the 00's, loud wind noise on the earlier ones (easy fix though)... your best bet would be to check out my350z.com and s2ki.com and research what car is better for you.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
And a boosted IS300 will cost more in fixes and R&D than the 10k miles for tires the 350z will cost. Honestly if uneven tire wear is the major issue, i would go with the Nissan over a boosted IS which will be more of a headache!!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Selling the boosted IS for what you've put into it is going to be difficult. The S2000 is difficult to drive every day due to low torque, but is supposedly reliable.

Are you buying new or used? I'd be hesitant to buy a new S2000, since it's been around for a while, the base model Z is a bargain, even with the little issues it has.

Personally, if the money's not burning a hole in your pocket, keep your current IS, and take a look at the new Supra when it comes out.

If you can deal with the looks, '06 Impreza. Reliable, boost, and good in the snow.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, if the money's not burning a hole in your pocket, keep your current IS, and take a look at the new Supra when it comes out.
Is another Supra definitely coming out?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd just wait a month for the stock 306HP IS350. If I'm not mistaken they get 27 miles to the gallon. Better yet wait for the IS500, better known as "ferrari killer". If thats too expensive go with the S2000, they have the best user ratings.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
nanlee said:
I'd just wait a month for the stock 306HP IS350. If I'm not mistaken they get 27 miles to the gallon. Better yet wait for the IS500, better known as "ferrari killer". If thats too expensive go with the S2000, they have the best user ratings.
What in Jehova's name are you talking about? An IS500? Ferrari killer?

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
The supra is just speculation alot of people think it wont happen whatever it is will be released under the lexus brand. All the pics of the new Supra have been confirmed as lexus's new $120,000 supercar so there is still no design of the new supra.

If you want to bitch about gas mileage now then boost your IS youll go from 25mpg to about 15 so be ready.

I almost bought a 350z myself until i got inside it and realized i didnt like it and my boss has had 2 g35's and swears he will never get another one cause it was junk.

If all you have towards boost is $5000 then boost is out of the question for you simple as that. $5000 is for the kit to be up and running its gonna cost you another $2k boost costs add up super fast

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
take the $5k and buy a beater car.
Keep the IS as a weekend car :approve:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to suck it up and go for TurboEast's budget kit. 310-320 RWHP should satisify my power craving. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
personally id go for an m3, 5k + traded in IS = 30k more for M3 :-(.....ok mayb not. BOOSTIES!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still can't seem to make up my mind 100%. As much as I absolutely love my IS300, something about a high-revving 4-cylinder engine (like my Prelude/Celica) is so damn tempting to me! I know how stupid it sounds because the low-end torque on the IS makes up for it especially in daily driving---but the fun factor IMO is there with a high-revving engine.

The 2 cars that I would consider moving onto if I decided to part with my IS is a 2005 RSX-S or a 2001-2002 Honda S2000. The S2K really isn't practical but me being 21 there's honestly no reason I can't have a 2-seater. And its much better on gas than our cars, etc.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Honestly between the cars you listed and a few others in my mind and if space wasn't a real issue then I'd definately get an S2000. High revving engine, pretty quick, pretty good handling not to mention looks as good as a 350Z BUT with the reliability of a Honda what more could you ask for. Oh yeah and there's LOTS of aftermarket support for the S2000 which is a big plus as well.

-Yamaha Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts