Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Motors first started out making motorcycles before going in to automotives. The fact is people in Japan consider them as far inferior to Toyota's. The transmissions in Honda-made cars are especially problematic.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I lived & worked in Japan for almost 3 years, and Toyota is by far the most popular there, about 50% market share, particularly with older men and corporate fleets. Honda cars are much more popular with young people, so your statement is true for older people who don't much care for Hondas. You see a lot more Hondas on the East Coast of the US than in Japan, however they have a good reputation in Japan for sportiness. Nissan until the last few years was very popular with old people too in Japan, in fact most of the cars you used to see there were stodgy looking Nissan and Toyota sedans. Now you see tons of Subaru wagons as well. VWs and BMWs are popular foreign cars, not much else.

Originally posted by PMD911:
Honda Motors first started out making motorcycles before going in to automotives. The fact is people in Japan consider them as far inferior to Toyota's. The transmissions in Honda-made cars are especially problematic.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
PMD911..that is totally biased. i am an IS300 owner also, but i dont agree with you, HONDA, TOYOTA, and NISSAN, japan's top three automakers...so don't say that they are inferior...just because you dont see as much around..doesnt mean nothing. Honda is JUST as respected as Toyota, although its not a as big of an enthusiast's car as toyota is. You might argue with me on this point, but Honda IS porbably the most advanced out of the three companies...while Toyota and Nissan makes turbo cars..honda makes the same but n/a and just as fast or faster...what does that tell you? they also are the pioneer of variable valve timing...they have dominated the CART forever. you know who helped toyota with VVT-i? Yamaha. take the S2000 for instance...running the 1/4 in 13.8 is pretty impressive for a 2.0 n/a car...comparing to toyota's 3.0 TT doing only .2 second faster. im not trying to trash on any companies. but do give respect for honda...they are very advanced. and im damn sure theyre raking just as much money as toyota or nissan if not more.

ckolsen: i would have to disagree with you..the car i saw most on the street was nissan. as for enthusiast cars...i saw mostly the skyline/silvia/180sx dominate the street. am i right?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read on Velocity's site that "Hondas aren't $hit." I dunno why that is though. Perhaps because no one cares if a technologically advanced car can be beaten by a less advanced one.

Also I wasn't aware that Yamaha codeveloped VVT-i, though I do know that Yamaha codeveloped VVTL-i. Honda was not the first to use variable valve timing, although they may have been first to apply it to a passenger car, or maybe they were the first to use variable valve timing and lift.

The S2000 is fast, but it is certainly harder to get it to be fast than the Supra Turbo, which is what it sounds like you are comparing it to. Completely perfect conditions are needed to get the S2000 to be fast. Too much traction and the car bogs. I wonder how much more power can be extracted from the S2000's engine. I really don't know. I do know that the 2JZ-GTE has ridiculous potential.

If Honda were raking in as much money as Toyota they should probably be worth more...Toyota is #1 and Honda is #2 in Japan, but Toyota is worth *way* more. Honda is, however, worth about as much as GM, the world's largest auto maker by sales.

------------------
By making this post I am not claiming to be an expert of any sort on the topic and should not be taken as such. It's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
As of '96 when I was there, Toyota had 50%+ market share, of course most of those cars are so bland you might not notice them. (most models don't come overseas). I didn't see many Skylines when I lived there, I was disappointed - I guess they're too expensive? I saw tons of twin turbo Imprezas and Legacies, lot of turbo Toyotas (some are Lexuses here), and yes, fair amount of other Nissans like Silvias (new one is sweet car, 280 hp for $20,000!!! and looks nice too!). And I saw 10 times as many modded cars in Japan as US, but I live in New England, not CA. And the first time I saw the IS was in Nice, France last April, saw a gorgeous silver IS200 parked on the street.

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
ckolsen: i would have to disagree with you..the car i saw most on the street was nissan. as for enthusiast cars...i saw mostly the skyline/silvia/180sx dominate the street. am i right?[/B]

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
what's the big surprise, it's like that in the US also.

the only reason they are popular with young kids, is because they can't afford a real sports car, so they try to make one out of there not-good-for-anything-but-reliability and-fuel-efficiency Honda civic. the younger people that aren't delusional buy a real sports car if they want speed.

Originally posted by PMD911:

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
HIBBoyScott: yes i mean the variable valve time and lift control. but give honda props they deserve it, perfection of the engine, its 50/50 weight, rwd...com'on now. yes the supra's engine is great easily produce over 500hp with stock internals im not going to argue with that, im just saying..be more open minded and less biased.

ckolsen: where did you live??? i saw alot of skylines in tokyo and osaka..by the way...my dad and i saw some at a car dealership..i remember one in specific..it was a r33 with volk daytona rims..the advertised sign for it says 450+hp and i dont doubt that..but the asking price was quite amazing..it converted to about 19.5k USD....not bad at all...yea i love th silvias!!! especially the s15. did you see any lancer evolutions while you lived there?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I lived in Tokyo from '90-'92, then spent 6 months in Yamanashi in '96, haven't been back since, so things may have been different. I did see a fair amount of Skylines, but Yamanashi is in the mountains so AWD Subarus were the thing. I did see a few Lancer EVOs, and a few Type R Hondas (Civics & Integras, not many Accords).

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
ckolsen: where did you live??? i saw alot of skylines in tokyo and osaka..by the way...my dad and i saw some at a car dealership..i remember one in specific..it was a r33 with volk daytona rims..the advertised sign for it says 450+hp and i dont doubt that..but the asking price was quite amazing..it converted to about 19.5k USD....not bad at all...yea i love th silvias!!! especially the s15. did you see any lancer evolutions while you lived there?[/B]

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
what's the big surprise, it's like that in the US also.

the only reason they are popular with young kids, is because they can't afford a real sports car, so they try to make one out of there not-good-for-anything-but-reliability and-fuel-efficiency Honda civic. the younger people that aren't delusional buy a real sports car if they want speed.

want to get beat very badly by a Honda -- you know, "not a real sports car?"

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
sure numb nut, do you want to race my 350hp talon, or my 600hp supra?

Originally posted by geoff:
want to get beat very badly by a Honda -- you know, "not a real sports car?"

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
what does that face mean

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
no, just that idiot, he mentioned racing, not me.

Originally posted by EricK:
= Geeeez... What are you trying to prove, that you're faster than everyone on the board?
Eric....

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
no, just that idiot, he mentioned racing, not me.

yes, you little child, let's race a stock cl-s versus your two heavily modded cars. that's EXACTLY what i mean.

maroon

·
Registered
192 Posts
im trying to be as least biased as i can being the fact that i work for tmmna...however...HOnda is a really good car manufacturer...their civic is beating our corolla here in the states...;

however, if we take it back to japan...honda is inferior...check out forbes company rankings...toyota and GM are far ahead of Honda...

the only people who think honda's are flashier than toyotas...are people here in the states...im sorrie to say..toyota please forgive me...but their us domestic designs are pretty pathetic...

take the us corolla..i think it can look a little beter...and the japanese corolla..dyam..that car is sweet...i wish i had pics to post...later...

point being..honda is no match for toyota when we are talking world wide....
NO MATCH....

·
Registered
239 Posts
sure numb nut, do you want to race my 350hp talon, or my 600hp supra?

IS300GTE, YOU ARE SUCH A FAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.. how are you gonna compare the supra and the talon to a Type-S. Type-s vs. is300 is much more fair than that. anyways its not like i believe u have a supra. i dont really care if u have a talon that thing is ugly as hell, look like ur moms

geoff for president!!!
hahah it is funny how everyone will say HONDAS ARE NOT SPORTS CARS!!! and then they go out in their little STOCK RICEY IS300's and they lose to Civic Si's, GSR's, Preludes, and of course the CL Type-S.

as for the UNBIASED people, i'm glad ur not pig-headed like IS300GTE and others who think their IS300 can take out porsches. haha. oh, and YOU'RE CAR ISN'T THAT LUXURIOUS IS300GTE i kno ur gonna be referring to that. how the hell is the IS300 a BMW competitor when it goes slower than a "GODDAMN HONDA" actually.... SEVERAL "GODDAMN HONDAS". u biased heads suck. it's so incredibily obvious u have something against those MILLIONS.......... AND MIIILLLLLIOOOONS OF HONDAS THAT BEAT YOU EVERYDAY. haha, this is so fun, u know why??? cuz I'M actually using facts by saying that your car gets burned by several hondas. hahahha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.