Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, you guys are not going to believe what I have seen today at lunch time!

I was on Olympic Blvd near Santa Monica and come across Bundy Blvd. For people who doesn't know, it's a big intersection with 6 lanes on both streets. As usual, there is a left turn arrow before the straight traffic light. I was waiting for straight green light, as the opposite side of left turn traffic was clear and I was ready to go, there comes a Blue IS300 doing at least 60MPH and shoot himself into the turn!
(notice this, my green light is already on, so that means he is running the red light!) I swear to god, his car was sideway BEFORE he accross the P-crossing. The whole car drift sideways all the way from the opposite light towards me!!!
As I was the first car in the line, and the car DRIFTs towards me, I thought he must have lost the control and I was ready for the crash.

And then marical happened. As he approach me as close as two to three car length, His car stop going side ways and start to pull straight!!! The whole drifting thing is just like what we see in the turbo Altezza vedio clip!!!

As he drift away (about 60MPH again going straight), I kind of notice he is an Asian, and the car doesn't have a plate yet.

As you can imagine, I am not the only one who got scared. For about 2-3 sec. no one moved.

At one point, I think this guy is a total moron and scared the hell out of me. But on the other hand, I feel very lucky to see such an incradable skill and performance. (I seriously hope he didn't lose control and are lucky enough to get back in control in time, but instead, has a superior skill.)

Is he anyone in this forum? If so, please post reply. I saw your blue IS300 about 11:45am Thursday (today) at intersection of Bundy and Olympic. If you are in this forum, please let me know and then we can meet up and maybe you can teach me some drifting skills.

(to pay for the dead cells that's died because of you)

So, who said IS300 can't drift?

·
Registered
511 Posts
The guy is an idiot. If you want to "drift" and get sideways go autocrossing. If you aren't doing both your time will suck. I drive very fast and aggressive but don't drift through intersections. By the way, it is much better to stick than to drift. If you watch Speedvision, the sports cars drift very little vs. the NASCAR boys that drift all the time.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
hey yamaot, why don't you let him try to powerslide taht accord of yours? idiot. where's blitz supra when you need him :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Too bad it was an asian dude, because there is this chick that owns a blue IS that works in the World Savings building. And I haven't seen many blues boppin' around Santa Monica/Mid-Wilshire District except for hers.

[This message has been edited by Pharsyde (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Shoot! My apartment is only a few blocks from that intersection!
Would've been an interesting home video for "World's Stupidest Drivers."

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
hey there were pictures of yamaot and his stupid power sliding accord...taht could go under the world's stupidest drivers

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by S38:
By the way, it is much better to stick than to drift. If you watch Speedvision, the sports cars drift very little vs. the NASCAR boys that drift all the time.
Can you elaborate on this?

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i think he's implying that nascar sucks...and i don't disagree. i think someone said something before about sticking retaining more speed and drifting being more about fun? i dunno

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You rarely see car drifting on race course, mainly because of the physic involved in drifting/sliding. If you think about it, sliding through a corner in your typical racecar tires (very wide) will likely scrub off alot of speed due to the friction force generated by the tire. It is like using your tire as brake pad, and the pavement as the braking surface. Also, if you look at the relationship between dynamic and static friction coefficient, you will see that once you have reach dynamic friction (start to slide), you will have to slow the angular velocity of the tires way down to regain that static friction.
There are cases where drifting is helpful, such is on dirt track. In this case you will see that the tire is extremely narrow compare to the typical racecar tires, which means you will not worry about losing much momentum will drifting. However, narrow tire means less stability in the straight, so you won't see this tires in high speed racing. In typical situation, race track or street, you don't want to slide.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like upon entering the intersection at
that rate of speed the driver "briefly" pulled on the "Park Brake" let up on the park
brake then Floored the car to get the drift.

Very Dangerous Manuver considering where he did it!

How Old was this driver??

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well he says its much better to "stick" than to "drift" I haven't heard stick used in this sense. What exactly does it mean? And I was not aware that Stock Cars ever drifted (intentionally) in qualify or in race, on ovals or circuits.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Kenny, did you watch any of the recent NASCAR race at Watkins Glen? The NASCAR drivers do drift a lot more than sports cars on a road course. Watching the cars go through the esses really showed that.

Stick means just what it says. Simply put, if you are sliding you can't apply more power as you tires are already beyond their limit. You may slide a bit at your exit point but you want to be full on the power throught the apex. When cornering it is ideal to be right at the limit of the tires under maximum cornering but this should happen BEFORE the apex--brake, turn, straighten the wheel and apply power. The instructors at BMWCCA schools tell you to imagine a string tying your foot to your right hand (left turns only of course). As you turn the wheel it pulls your foot off the pedal and as the wheel straightens it allows you to apply more power.

The Nasty boys seems to be sliding through a lot of apexes. In slow and out fast is the fastest way around a track. I think the NASCAR guys are great drivers and drive that way because of the limits of the cars. Plus, I have to admire anyone who can drive with that big of a steering wheel 4" from our chest.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I don't know how old he is, and I don't even know whether he is asian or not. From his hair and skin, I assume he is an asian.

Mrclam, Glad you still remember that Accord thing. but I don't own a IS300 yet (I would be very happy if I did), even if I do, I don't think I can do that kind of drifting anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts