Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well as a few of you know, I just recently sold my 01' msm. Great news because I can pay off a good chunk of my debt.

So heres what happens. I call my parents and told them I sold my car, they got ridiciulously pissed and cussed me out to an extent ok. So they asked why I was selling it and I said to pay off a few credit cards.

So now, there going to pay off one of my credit cards which is 2800 bucks. And the chunk of money I got from the difference from my payoff to what I sold it for, I can liquidate all of my debt.

I told them I was gonna get a civic and they got pissed off again. They liked the IS300 since it was a quality car.

The question is should I get another IS to please the 'rents? I wouldnt mind getting a 5 spd this time around and have it be 02-03+ because my 01 interior was okay, but it was definately used and not prestine.

I'm about to have zero debt whatsoever in the matter of a week or so. So the only bills I will have is the car note, insurance, and my 60 dollar cell phone bill?

what should I do? :confused:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Tupac, I think its time to change that sig to "02+ ___ 5spd"

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
you're out of debt, which is good. if you need a car, your plan about buying used is also good. depending on how much you make, if you can comfortably afford that car note (gas, insurance and maintenance included), and thats the car you want, go for it. if you'll have to sacrifice a few things but thats the car you want and you're willing to make those sacrifices, then go for it. if you can care less if it's an is300 and any car will do, dont get it just to please your parents. you need to decide what you want to do, plan your finances and choose according to your lifestyle, needs and future goals. if you get another is300 and the car note takes up a large chunk of your budget and you can't do the things you want or get the things you want because of that, you wont be happy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
get the car YOU want. dont settle for what they want.

me? im leaning 94% to the new is AWD. the last 6% leans to the bmw 325xi. i wont accept anything less than both cars. these are what I want.

i rather pay 5 yrs on a car ill love than 3 on a car ill regret.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Get what you want. It will be well worth it. Those are some nice parents that you have.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ISinCP said:
Get what you want. It will be well worth it. Those are some nice parents that you have.
Yeah I'm pretty grateful, I didn't want them to pay it off. But they said they were going to anyways no matter what I said. I've always been independent.

Has anyone here gone with a 6 year loan? If I get the IS I'm gonna get a 6 year loan, just because its a car I'm gonna keep for awhile. For the 01' I did a 3 year loan and the monthly was 540 kinda a killer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the question is "what car will please yourself?" then make a decision. As for the 5-speed it is very weak down the road for Forced-Induction

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I would say that if you are in a financially sensitive situation... get a more economical car for now... until you build up some funds again. The IS300 will be more expensive to obtain than a civic... and operating costs will be higher as well. So even if you're out of debt... you probably won't have a reserve of cash yet. So buy a cheap car... build up a reserve... and THEN buy a nice car.

Although everybody obviously love to have a luxurious sports sedan... it's stupid to buy one if you can't afford it. And buy afford it... I mean pay for it without sacrificing other things in your life. If you buy a luxury car... but can then only afford to eat 25 out of 31 days of the month... then you can't afford the car!

·
Registered
508 Posts
see, that is the reason you were in so much debt. You just paid off all your debts, and you want to start it all over again? Getting a Lexus, then build up your debts, just to sell the Lexus again.

Just get a Civic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Eternal's right, your folks did you a big favor. Don't take advantage of their kindness by putting yourself back in the same situation. A civic is a great car, and with todays gas prices and your financial situation, also a great choice. Sure, we should all get what we want, but only up to a limit of what's affordable, otherwise I'd be driving a new M5 myself.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you like me then you've realized already that your gonna have a car payment for the majority of your youth. That's just because i like driving nice cars. Get what you are going to be happy with, if you don't then your gonna regret it and in the end regret can cost you more than a unsound financial decision.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Orangetang21 said:
If you like me then you've realized already that your gonna have a car payment for the majority of your youth. That's just because i like driving nice cars. Get what you are going to be happy with, if you don't then your gonna regret it and in the end regret can cost you more than a unsound financial decision.
I'm sorry... but that's a bunch of crap.

I'm sure he'll have even more regret if he's living in a cardboard box since his dream of having the best car burned up all his money.

I bought an IS300 because I could afford to purchase and run/maintain it. If I had larger expenses... then I would've bought a smaller car.

A person should not spend their whole life paying off debts. All this money you are putting into making monthly payments for a fancy car... you could be investing and growing for your future.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
so lets see, you used the equity that you had in the IS to pay off debt... and now you want to purchase the same car but without the equity???

Wouldnt that just be shifting debt from one place to another?

I would recommend getting something cheaper until you are in a more comfortable financial situation... otherwise you will be right back in debt 3 years from now...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Etrnal168 said:
see, that is the reason you were in so much debt. You just paid off all your debts, and you want to start it all over again? Getting a Lexus, then build up your debts, just to sell the Lexus again.

Just get a Civic.
Well see the car isnt a problem if I just have the car, insurance and my cell phone.

How I originally started getting into debt was when I had a 04' wrx and spent a ridiculous amount of money on mods; probably in the range of 8-10k in like 4 months on mods.

I make a tad over 2100 a month take home, so the monthly isnt really a problem.

It was just me controlling my credit card splurges. Now I've pretty learned that credit cards are evil, And going to have only 1 credit card.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Has anyone here gone with a 6 year loan? If I get the IS I'm gonna get a 6 year loan, just because its a car I'm gonna keep for awhile. For the 01' I did a 3 year loan and the monthly was 540 kinda a killer.[/QUOTE]

Almost all lenders will offer 6 yr loans and the rates usually are not much more then a shorter term loan. Some even offer 7 yr loans if you have tier 1 or 2 credit. Check your local credit union.

·
Registered
123 Posts
?

BLACKIS300T said:
the question is "what car will please yourself?" then make a decision. As for the 5-speed it is very weak down the road for Forced-Induction

why do you think the 5 spd is weak for F/I? just curious

·
Registered
656 Posts
ISinCP said:
Has anyone here gone with a 6 year loan? If I get the IS I'm gonna get a 6 year loan, just because its a car I'm gonna keep for awhile. For the 01' I did a 3 year loan and the monthly was 540 kinda a killer.
Almost all lenders will offer 6 yr loans and the rates usually are not much more then a shorter term loan. Some even offer 7 yr loans if you have tier 1 or 2 credit. Check your local credit union.[/QUOTE]

I have a 6 year loan on my IS, for the first time in my life, at 6.99%. I had no choice to keep the payments down. The problem with doing that is that unless you put a good chunk down you are stuck "upside down" for quite a while, meaning you owe more than the car is worth on the market, so if you want to sell it too soon, you'll still owe. I plan to keep my IS for the long haul, plus I always pay my cars off really early, so I knew the 6 year loan wouldn't kill me. Also, you pay a lot more in interest. It just depends on your situation.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well to give some updates, I picked up my car last friday, the day before i went to hot import daze in pleasanton. I'm very pleased with the rsx-s and the mileage; its a fun car.

it has the typical mods;........ exhaust, intake, coilovers, generic wheels, and a lip, jdm shift knob and painted headlights :)

next is recaros and spoon sw88 wheels.

here is a pic of my car on the street next to my friends integra...

and heres a few pics of the show............ enjoy ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts