Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it you think CL owners made a bad decision buying their car?

What makes the decision to buy an IS300 a better one?

And I don't wanna hear this "It looks like an Accord" bs, because you know I can come right back with what the IS looks like. So apart from your subjective opinions on looks why have we made a bad decision?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red w/ Nav.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
No one here said it was a bad decision...it was simply not one that we made...

However, I do think your color selection is bad.

Enjoy your car and we'll do the same

Pink IS300

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Agent Smith:

Enjoy your car and we'll do the same

Pink IS300
lol...pink is300

lol...good one

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes as a matter of fact MANY people can be quoted saying this... check out some of the topics your participating in right now!

You should try reading an entire topic before you post some input ya know.

Red is bad?

If your saying the Acuras limited color selection is bad... i'd agree. But red, bad? pleez... this is probably the nicest shade of red this side of a ferrari... and there isnt a hint of pink in it.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red w/ Nav.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know of soopa from the h/a.net board. And I know how much people over there like to bash other cars also. It's like at every board. (Although I haven't seen much of it at the S4 board at audiworld.com. Bunch of cool guys and gals imho). I haven't seen any CL bashing here (granted I read mostly the technical posts) but both cars are nice. It's up to the buyer to decide which car is 'better' for him. Just enjoy your cars. I hope to get the IS300 in the near future and retire my lude. However, I'm still debating to see if an S4 is what I really want.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CL needs four doors for me and my family, then it would have been a perfect fit for me, although Lexus service has been wonderful.

I heard rumors of a TL type R...is this true?

[This message has been edited by bubba (edited October 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
I might have posted something slightly negative about the CL. The fact is, I like the CL, especially the CLS. If it were shorter, looked sportier, and rear-wheel drive, I would have gotten it.

--k

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The motor trend article on CL-S was one of the biggest reason I decided against the 328ci. But the number reason I bought my IS over the MB, BMW, Acura, and Infinity was the quality of service. I don't think you can find another manufacture that offers such a high quality of service. I know BMW doesn't, most of MB dealers I know doesn't, and none of the Acura dealers does. I want to enjoy the time I own my car, both driving it and having it service. I don't mind spending some extra money, as long as you have good service and quality car, I will probably buy it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by soopa:
Why is it you think CL owners made a bad decision buying their car?

What makes the decision to buy an IS300 a better one?

And I don't wanna hear this "It looks like an Accord" bs, because you know I can come right back with what the IS looks like. So apart from your subjective opinions on looks why have we made a bad decision?

Bought the IS because I need four doors. Also, I liked the styling. I have never been fond of the exterior styling of the CL.

·
Registered
626 Posts
For all you CL ownwers Here are the reasons I did not go with the CL TYPE S:

1. Two Doors

2. Interior was not agressive enough for me (Note, now I said for me not you)

3. The car was to long. IS will fit in my garage along with my wife's van

4. I knew I was going to get a black interior on either car I got. I did not like the fake marble wood in the black interior. If they would have made it the brown wood or other type of trim it would have been nicer.

5. PRICE yes that is right I said price. A CL TYPE S was what low 30's. I got my IS 300 with leather, sun roof, power seats for 32,000, so to me I was really not spending a lot more to ge the LEXUS.

6. Which brings me to reason #6. Reliability. I believe LEXUS has the edge on service and reliability. Oh no you say, well let me offer you an example. (My friend just bought an MDX from Acura to the tune of 38,000! No 1k check up. No free service at 5,000, na da! Took his check and said thanks bud see ya!) Car was delivered filthy. Ha

7. Final reason, I read to much on the Acura board about engine problems on the cl type s and other problems.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
My brother just picked up a TL w/ Nav...he said the dealer told him that next year the TL will have the S-Type engine but that they'll will pump it to 290 HP...is this just a lying bastard salesman or is this truth?

Yes Soopa, I think red sucks...unless you are a girl or something.

Mauve IS300

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, soopa

This is a Forum for ENTHUSIASTS who like the fact that some company from Japan has finally produced a compact car that rivals the BMW and Mercedes REAR WHEEL DRIVE compact cars. Rear wheel drive cars are DRIVER'S cars.

If you want something to compare your FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CL to, why don't you go find an ES300 Forum, or maybe one for the Avalon or Maxima or Saab or Volvo, etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fair enough...

these are all good reasons IMO.

I definately agree that Acura service is not as good as Lexus service, even though my local Lex dealer sucks ass! But its no doubt that overall Lexus destroys Acura when it comes to service.

And I guess its fair to say that the CL has only 2-doors
. However, it does have more legroom in back then the IS. hehe.

The CL is too long... i still can't park it for ****.

Certainly isn't as agressive inside as the IS.

That black trim IS ugly. But thats why you can opt for brown

As for reliability... I wouldn't count on that. Acura is right up there with lexus for reliability... and the current TL, now in its third year, surpassed the ES in reliability ratings.

And please find me the post on engine problems! I've never seen one engine problem. As a matter of fact... I've never heard much about any mechanical problems in the CL... but I'll be the first to admit that Acura's have some fit & finish problems.

All of these things can be debated till the cows come home but either way we each haver opinions about the others car... I mean, we do have to defend our own. I just don't like seeing flat out lies about beating a CL-S in a race. Like I said, it isn't possible!

So you have until next spring to race me! But in the spring my CL-S gets traded for an SC430.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red w/ Nav.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
My brother just picked up a TL w/ Nav...he said the dealer told him that next year the TL will have the S-Type engine but that they'll will pump it to 290 HP...is this just a lying bastard salesman or is this truth?

Yes Soopa, I think red sucks...unless you are a girl or something.

Mauve IS300
The TL Type-S will have the same engine and power stats as the CL Type-S (260hp).

Daniel, you are right about MB dealers - they are pricks. I once had to wait 8 days to get brake rotors replaced. They are also very stingy about what they will replace under warranty.

Soopa, the CL's san marino red and black colors are very nice, however, that rusty gold color that they offer is one of the ugliest colors I've ever seen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by viggen:
The TL Type-S will have the same engine and power stats as the CL Type-S (260hp).

Daniel, you are right about MB dealers - they are pricks. I once had to wait 8 days to get brake rotors replaced. They are also very stingy about what they will replace under warranty.

Soopa, the CL's san marino red and black colors are very nice, however, that rusty gold color that they offer is one of the ugliest colors I've ever seen.
I've always had VERY good experiences with MB dealers... but bad experiences with BMW & Lexus...

As for the TL Type-S... theres no confirmation that it will even be built. If it is, expect a CL Type-S with 4-doors.

There have been rumors of Acura switching to RWD platforms and bumping the Type-S models to the 290hp area. But I doubt that happening, and if it does it will be at least 2 years before you start seeing the fruits of their labor.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red w/ Nav.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think buying a CL is a bad decision because I don't wan't to stoop to the likes of a cetain CL Type S poster on thses boards. No respect for someone who continues his childish acts. That's too bad because the CL Type S is a nice car, just looks like it's attracting moronic drivers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by soopa:
fair enough...

these are all good reasons IMO.

I definately agree that Acura service is not as good as Lexus service, even though my local Lex dealer sucks ass! But its no doubt that overall Lexus destroys Acura when it comes to service.

And I guess its fair to say that the CL has only 2-doors
. However, it does have more legroom in back then the IS. hehe.

The CL is too long... i still can't park it for ****.

Certainly isn't as agressive inside as the IS.

That black trim IS ugly. But thats why you can opt for brown

As for reliability... I wouldn't count on that. Acura is right up there with lexus for reliability... and the current TL, now in its third year, surpassed the ES in reliability ratings.

And please find me the post on engine problems! I've never seen one engine problem. As a matter of fact... I've never heard much about any mechanical problems in the CL... but I'll be the first to admit that Acura's have some fit & finish problems.

All of these things can be debated till the cows come home but either way we each haver opinions about the others car... I mean, we do have to defend our own. I just don't like seeing flat out lies about beating a CL-S in a race. Like I said, it isn't possible!

So you have until next spring to race me! But in the spring my CL-S gets traded for an SC430.

The one post on Honda-acura was about engine oil light. A poster stated that his engine oil light came on and his car had to be towed back to the dealer, all the oil had leaked out. That really got me concerned. You can search history in Honda-acura.net and find it I am sure.

But in either case, you are here on the IS300 forum, so be prepared to take the heat when we talk highly of our vehicles. We are not in the Acura forum doing this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Soopa, one thing that I find very odd is that the CL-S has more hp and a flatter torque curve than the NSX Automatic. I wonder why the auto NSX only has the 3.0L 252hp engine while the 6-speed has the 3.2L 290hp engine?

[This message has been edited by viggen (edited October 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
ISFAN, actually just recently one of my friend's friend's got a IS300, and the SAME exact problem occured. oh well, so much for that.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
The motor trend article on CL-S was one of the biggest reason I decided against the 328ci. But the number reason I bought my IS over the MB, BMW, Acura, and Infinity was the quality of service. I don't think you can find another manufacture that offers such a high quality of service. I know BMW doesn't, most of MB dealers I know doesn't, and none of the Acura dealers does. I want to enjoy the time I own my car, both driving it and having it service. I don't mind spending some extra money, as long as you have good service and quality car, I will probably buy it.
acura gives me incredible service. the delivered it to my house, and when the salesperson called and said my type S badge came it (it was delivered without it because they get stolen), he drove out and put it on. he called me back a few days later out of nowhere to tell me that his porter forgot to wax my car, and that if i had the time, he would meet me at my house with a loaner TL, take mine to get waxed, and drop it back off *at my office*. when i asked if they always come get my car when it needs service, he said, "absolutely."

i signed my final paperwork in my florida room with the salesman, had a beer with him, and he took off. easily the best purchase experience of my life.

i can also bring my car by the dealer at any time and they will wash it for me while i wait.

acura gives just as good of as other premium marques.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts