Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...do you guys think that an all aluminum engine and revised exhaust system (give us back our lost 10hp Toyota) would allow the the IS3 to perform a 0-60 of 7.1? Any estimates on this hypothetical setup w/the 5-speed tranny?

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
assuming that the car is designed for the iron block, swapping out for an aluminum block would mess up the weight distribution... that and the fact it would cost an arm an a leg to research and design one...im happy with the engine, iron blocks can take serious forced induction.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Most variations of this chassis (e.g. Japanese Altezza) have much lighter engines in front, so I wouldn't think there would be any problem with putting a lighter engine in the IS300. In fact I bet it would improve things quite a bit. They might need to tweak a few suspension and ECU settings, but other than that it would be an improvement.

*Anything* that they could do to remove weight would help performance.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
No matter what the weight distribution is, lighter is better. It's just that handling at the limit will suffer, but the limit is higher.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
so i can take out the spare, backseat and passenger seat when im drag racing without having to worry about changing the characteristics of the car much?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'd leave al that stuff in....more weight in te rear right? i'm assuming most of the weight is in the front so even if you had a lighter engine it'd still be better to havea heavier rear =)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Less weight = more speed. It is that simple. The laws of physics will still apply. Handling at the limit might suck tho. All the weight in the front may lead to crazy understeer. Of course, for handling weight would be good near the center of the car, none at the ends.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think an all aluminum, along with a little more luxury, would help them completely destroy the BMW 330i. It would help achieve the 50/50 weight distribution, and who knows they could tune it to produce more power too.
I'm sure the VVTiL version of the Altezza sold in Japan with a high revving 4 cylinder that makes 212 or so hp, mated to a 6 speed, it perhaps a great performer. I'm not sure if it really is, since I haven't read anything on it yet. But I'm certain that it has better weight distribution, thanks to a lighter engine - may suffer from lower torque though.
Again, as many argue, the iron block is much tougher and can take many more mods than an all aluminum. And it would cost a **** load of money to develop a new engine - but they have a **** load of money.
If I were a decision maker at Toyota, I'd have the engineers develop an all aluminum 6, with VVTiL, that could be used in at least 6 or 7 different cars (IS, camry, avalon, highlander, etc.) They should only change the displacement for each individual design to alter torque and identity.
Toyota does have other six cylinder engines that they sell in Japan and other parts of the world. Perhaps they should test market the IS200 here. I bet a whole bunch of our IS fans would opt for it...since it would be cheaper, lighter, would have a 6 speed tranny, and can be easily modified.
Just my opinion. I still love my IS!!

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If you were really serious about performance, you could "butcher" your car and remove the A/C, power window motors, etc, etc. and get better performance because of reduced weight.

*BUT* we all do want to keep those features, right?

The old Rx7 I sold off had been stripped down for performance - no A/C, no heat, plastic rear window, no sound insulation, etc...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think one problem with an all aluminum engine is that it usually do not last as long as its iron block counter part. Aluminum has much lower fatique limit to iron, so it cannot be run as long and as hard as the iron block. But then again you have the light weight that will help the performance aspect, and that most people will not keep their cars for long.
I guess it is up to Toyota to decide, but I highly doubt they would do it.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
All-aluminum engine? Of course Toyota will do it. They're probably doing the R&D as I type this. Like Altezza said before, the S family of engines is being replaced with the AZ (all-alloy) family.

For some reason, I'd rather have Dual VVT-i (like in the 4-cyl Altezza) than VVTL-i. It probably has to do with VVTL-i's emphasis on top-end power, which is kind of impractical on the street (illegal street racing notwithstanding). VVTL-i would also be wasted if drivers don't rev above a certain rpm threshold to keep the second cam profile engaged (meaning most drivers out there). DVVT-i would be more economical than VVTL-i, and the savings would be passed down to the consumers. Besides, BMW's upcoming M Power I6 produces >100 hp/L using Double VANOS, which, as we all know, is essentially Dual VVT-i.

Also, the IS200 is dog-slow...8+ sec 0-60 in the 6-speed manual, and 11+ sec 0-60 for the 4-speed auto.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Hey TEG, just get a really long hose, attach it to your engine and blow really hard into the hose when you need to go fast. Even CARB can't complain about an all natural human powered forced induction system, can they? PS, I hope you have REALLY powerful lungs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts