Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought you guys might get a kick out of this.. picked up some car mags on my trip to japan and found this.

looks like HKS is or will be producing a supercharger for our inline 6 (2JZ-GE) in 2008 from what i can understand (my japanese is uber rusty) it will be similar to the the kit they have now for the VQ motors (350Z, G35, etc.)
system looks pretty straight forward and comes with the Fcon V pro..

can't wait to see this state side!

here's some pics from the magazine.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
definately interesting. There seems to be more of a surge for supercharging the IS3 nowadays. Definately is something to look forward to. That intercooler looks incredibly smalll though, I wonder what kinds of numbers it will push.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
this will probably cost an arm and a leg....

looks very similar to the toyomoto s/c set up

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
when this comes out, screw everybody who flamed me for this thread... screw them ALL!!!

http://my.is/forums/f114/hks-boost-344410/

HKS people probably read it :) :) FYI I DID send them an email about this a while ago

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
when this comes out, screw everybody who flamed me for this thread... screw them ALL!!!

http://my.is/forums/f114/hks-boost-344410/

HKS people probably read it :) :) FYI I DID send them an email about this a while ago
As soon as I saw this, I thought, "I wonder if Chado has seen this yet? It his ideas didn't go over too well a while ago." :lol:

Reactions: chado

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Man that intercooler looks pathetic. Its smaller than the LMS ones.
good, because no one will know you have boost if it's fender mounted. my R32 Skyline GTS-T had a fender mounted intercooler for it's single turbo and that thing was pretty damn quick

Reactions: eelttam

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
good, because no one will know you have boost if it's fender mounted. my R32 Skyline GTS-T had a fender mounted intercooler for it's single turbo and that thing was pretty damn quick
OK I see. I thought it was a front mount. If its a fender mount then thats sweet. Would be perfect for a sleeper look.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Man that intercooler looks pathetic. Its smaller than the LMS ones.
well it doesn't matter how big the intercooler is it matters how well it flows with the setup, bigger does not mean it'll work better than hks's small intercooler
screw the supercharger, pnp fcon v-pro is where its at.
well your assuming the ecu from the jce10 will be the same as the is's ecu, 01's are different from 02'+ so odds are the pnp f-con may not work with our ecu's
well if you fender mount it, now you have to worry about get air flow into that intercooler

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
imo there really is no reason to even buy this kit for the power output because the supercharger will in no way make enough horsepower to warrant the price of the kit compared to a turbo kit or even a supercharger that is already available for the is300 .....the only reason someone would get it is because of the hks name

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from other sources i also heard thats this maybe carb legal. .. and with a rough price range of $6k like the supercharger for the VQ motors.. this would be reliable power backed up by a big company.

i thought this would put a smile on people faces that our cars are getting product support again. thats why i posted it. guess i was wrong:(

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
imo there really is no reason to even buy this kit for the power output because the supercharger will in no way make enough horsepower to warrant the price of the kit compared to a turbo kit or even a supercharger that is already available for the is300 .....the only reason someone would get it is because of the hks name
Are you sure about that? I don't think there are any Rotrex based S/C kits for the IS300 anymore and thats what HKS uses in their kits.

Toyomoto used that blower and we all know it was the best S/C kit, this one should be just as good if not better with a big company behind it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well that may be true, but think about it this way. Let's say the rumors are true that this kit is carb legal. That's important for a lot of owners out there that may have strict laws about modified cars not being carb legal. With HKS being a big company, they can easily afford to certify these as legal, where other small name companies could not afford to make them street legal.

This would be nice for us California residents. I'm too scared to turbo due to the import profiling they do out here and the fact that its not street legal. This gives me hope at least to being boosted one way or another with this carb legal (I'm hoping) S/C kit.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
PROLIFIK1 said what I wanted to say. There isn't a "one solution for everyone" scheme out there, and we are not all the same demograph.

This kit isn't for me, but I'm not going to press my philosophy on others, because I can understand where others are coming from, I can understand different goals.

An install and forget package that is cop proof is what some peeps want, regardless of price and power output. A reliability cred of HKS to boot is an addition.

As soon as I saw this, I thought, "I wonder if Chado has seen this yet? It his ideas didn't go over too well a while ago."
x2 lol.

IMO I wonder why HKS just didn't crack the ECU. A reflash would be the tops for the demograph targeting this kit. I do not think the additional features of the Fcon are needed, and a reflash would accommodate to more buyers that are away from tuners and should be able to reduce the price. Maybe I'm associating Mines ability/hook ups too much with HKS, Oh wells.

Reactions: chado

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
well if you fender mount it, now you have to worry about get air flow into that intercooler
i'm not worried about that. HKS isn't stupid either

Good Job Chad!;)
+rep!!
but i doubt my single email did the trick haha! and it's not confirmed yet.

from other sources i also heard thats this maybe carb legal. .. and with a rough price range of $6k like the supercharger for the VQ motors.. this would be reliable power backed up by a big company.

i thought this would put a smile on people faces that our cars are getting product support again. thats why i posted it. guess i was wrong:(
don't let them "boost gods" get you down. glad i'm not the only one. not all IS owners want the highest quantity HP, but quality HP we're willing to pay for. plus we don't want our cars in the shop all the time paying more over time for repairs. just bolt on and go...

Reactions: nigellllll

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
PROLIFIK1 said what I wanted to say. There isn't a "one solution for everyone" scheme out there, and we are not all the same demograph.

This kit isn't for me, but I'm not going to press my philosophy on others, because I can understand where others are coming from, I can understand different goals.

An install and forget package that is cop proof is what some peeps want, regardless of price and power output. A reliability cred of HKS to boot is an addition.

Maybe I'm associating Mines ability/hook ups too much with HKS, Oh wells.
very, very well said :cool:

BTW I also emailed Mine's about their ECU tricks for our cars, without success last year :(

1 - 20 of 63 Posts