Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my hiper exhaust for probably about a year now. I was washing my car yesterday and i noticed there was alot of rust build up around the tip of the exhaust. I know this isnt normal. What should i do?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i did clean it and thats when i noticed all the rust.....is there any polish that works good? i thought this shit wasnt suppose 2 rust

·
Hot Steamy Goodness
1,588 Posts
I'm sure there is, but I couldn't recommend one for you. I make sure to wipe mine down regularly to keep it looking purdy

·
Registered
132 Posts
I polish mine with Turtle Polish, it comes in a round tub. Make sure you get the one that says heavy duty, it should be red... rub it on and give it some elbow grease, rust should come flying off.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
LikWid696 said:
yea i did clean it and thats when i noticed all the rust.....is there any polish that works good? i thought this sh*t wasnt suppose 2 rust
is the tip stainless steel??? if not, then it'll rust eventually...also, if it is stainless, then the rust is from the inside piping...the piping inside is rusting and the water vapors are blowing all the rust to the tip and it's collecting there...

Mr.Is300 said:
Btw how much did you get your hks hyper exhaust for?
it's a hiper...not a hyper...just an FYI...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the replies.....

HyperMKIV said:
is the tip stainless steel??? if not, then it'll rust eventually...also, if it is stainless, then the rust is from the inside piping...the piping inside is rusting and the water vapors are blowing all the rust to the tip and it's collecting there...
yea the tip is stainless steel....so i guess its coming from the inside

·
Registered
457 Posts
sup

LikWid696 said:

HyperMKIV said:
everything rust...stainless steel or not...doesnt matter
stainless steel will take alonger time to rust...do a test...put both steel in saltwater and you will see (saltwater age the steel faster)
try to poshing it more, i do it with every car wash (inside-out)
mothers aluminum mag polish is really good

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
Re: sup

redteam22003 said:
LikWid696 said:

HyperMKIV said:
everything rust...stainless steel or not...doesnt matter
stainless steel will take alonger time to rust...do a test...put both steel in saltwater and you will see (saltwater age the steel faster)
try to poshing it more, i do it with every car wash (inside-out)
mothers aluminum mag polish is really good
here's some info on how stainless can rust:
http://www.huber.de/edelstahl/roste.htm

true...but i wounldn't think a year is long enough for it to form rust on the tip...most likely it's from the inside. so your statement which is true, it can rust, most likely doesn't pertain to the guy's situation. the rust is most likey not actually the stainless steel rusting...so basically, to treat the stainless is to help avoid the buildup from the rust coming out of the exhaust itself...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts