Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i jus wanted to know, how user friendly it is to use, (apart from the tuner). how much people use it, at this current point in time, is it the choice system to use as engine management for about 10psi of boost. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It is not user friendly at all!...lol. Sense the user is not able to make changes! You have to go thru an 'authorized' retailer/tuner to have changes made to the MAPs. IMO, this can be very expensive because your tuner will have to spend hours on the Dyno to get the driveablity right. I personally do not like the 'set and forget' philosophy of tuning. Yes, you can blow up your own motor by messing with stuff that you shouldn't, but I like to tinker. That is the fun in it for me, so I could never hava an EMS that I paid for that I can't manipulate!

My comments aside, the HKS unit is very good, however I hear that there is some functionality that it does not have vs the better standalones. It's also expensive, so I would personally go with a different EMS.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Thats a very popular ems with the Z, people on the Z forums swear by it, but as htekwo said, you need an autherized dealer and thats super expensive.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
It may be worth the upfront cost if you have no intentions of messing with the tune as they tend to be tuned by trained tuners. If it will save you the cost of a blown motor, it may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You can make small changes to it via the FCON Navigator, Nissan drivers love the FCON because it lets them retain their crazy smart VSC.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the HKS Fcon V-pro and I love it. It is also very popular in the Supra crowd. It is truely a set it and forget it setup. If you want your car to run like stock then get the Vpro. It allows you to retain traction control, drive by wire, VVTi, etc etc.

The Vpro in the Supra world is what usually replaces standalones like the AEM. The only other standalone that is considered as an alternative is the MOTEC units which are extremely expensive. You can't tune it yourself, but the tradeoff is that you obtain oem driveability.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just wanted to add, it is really too bad that HKS Doesnt make a plug and play harness like they do for every other car. If they did, I guarantee the IS300 community would embrace it more than our Surpa community because of the complexity of the Lexus computer. The V-pro is so amazing I can not stess how easy it is to setup and how perfect the car runs. Plug the harness in, put the map sensor and IAT sensor in, tune and your done.

Somebody really should make a harness for it and it would sell like hot cakes. It is a little pricey but imagine having no headaches and awesome reliability.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the HKS Fcon V-pro and I love it. It is also very popular in the Supra crowd. It is truely a set it and forget it setup. If you want your car to run like stock then get the Vpro. It allows you to retain traction control, drive by wire, VVTi, etc etc.

The Vpro in the Supra world is what usually replaces standalones like the AEM. The only other standalone that is considered as an alternative is the MOTEC units which are extremely expensive. You can't tune it yourself, but the tradeoff is that you obtain oem driveability.
thanks this is the type of imformation that i was looking for, my tuner, that did my integra and bmw is very comfortable with various types of systems, but he wanted to know what most people were running in there car for tuning, and suport if he reaches a stump. I asked about fcon because he swears by it aswell.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
thanks this is the type of imformation that i was looking for, my tuner, that did my integra and bmw is very comfortable with various types of systems, but he wanted to know what most people were running in there car for tuning, and suport if he reaches a stump. I asked about fcon because he swears by it aswell.
who is going to be tuning your car btw?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

From my experience, the Supra community does not substitue the AEM with HKS. They are for different purposes as far as a Supra goes. Most in the Supra world want to be able to manipulate their own EMS or have their local tuner do it, without having to go back to a certified HKS tuner. I'm not an AEM fan, but you are right that the step-up is the Motec.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"who is going to be tuning your car btw?"
When its ready defcon racing will be tuning the car, with u2 dyno pac, located in thornhill, ontario, canada

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
HKS fcon vpro is pretty much worthless to those on the eastcoast as most of the quality HKS authorized tuners are all on the west coast...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HKS fcon vpro is pretty much worthless to those on the eastcoast as most of the quality HKS authorized tuners are all on the west coast...
its ok my tuner had the software and he has succesfully tuned an 01 civic with a k2oa turbo, 95 integra b20vtec turbo, evo 8 and many others

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts

does the Vpro allow you to adjust the VVTi like the EMS can? will the VPRO allow you to get rid of the DBW or make adjustments to it?

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
I just wanted to add, it is really too bad that HKS Doesnt make a plug and play harness like they do for every other car. If they did, I guarantee the IS300 community would embrace it more than our Surpa community because of the complexity of the Lexus computer. The V-pro is so amazing I can not stess how easy it is to setup and how perfect the car runs. Plug the harness in, put the map sensor and IAT sensor in, tune and your done.

Somebody really should make a harness for it and it would sell like hot cakes. It is a little pricey but imagine having no headaches and awesome reliability.
weird, reading this article leads me to believe that a harness does exist out there. i know articles can be BS at times, but why mention something so obscure if it weren't true? anyone got David's contact info? i'd like to see where he got his harness from

1 - 16 of 16 Posts