Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, a friend and I are thinking about swapping my HKS Dragger for his HKS Hiper. I mean I love the not so loud tone of the Dragger, but the Hiper with its ackward angle gives the IS a more aggressive back end plus the HP's are a little higher. Anyways the thing is he doesnt have the Hiper yet, but he is going to buy it used from a member off the board, but was told used exhausts wears out?? I have no idea what this means, but if its a HKS I wouldnt think down the road it would. I have had mine for 8 months and everything is great, but he is a little optimistic. Any insight to the wearing out question???? Should he not worry??? I mean I paid over 500 for mine and hell it better not wear out!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I heard the HKS CF-Titanium muffler does wear over time. Shouldn't be a problem with the stainless version.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
FWIW...I have no idea of how the HKS is contructed, but mufflers with fiberglass packing for sound deadening do eventually wear out over time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I forgot where I read this, but a lot of aftermaket tuner companies are limiting their warranties and legality certs becuz of the strict noise and pollution laws. So you might want to do some research on this. I believe that certin companies are only going to guaranty smog or decebel cert. or both don't remember for 1 year. So, to sum things up yes, exhausts do get worn & they get louder as they get older. These new rules & strict laws keep me away from playing w/ my car anymore. Alot of people still mod their cars, but i just think sometimes it not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just got my Dragger II installed yesterday. I bought it from a .net member and it sounds and performs pretty good to me. EVERY part on a car eventually wears, so just enjoy it for now and replace it when and if it goes bad!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I've heard that as well. But it also depends on your enviornment that you live in, for example, close to the ocean, will eventually rust the exhaust, among other things, thats what I heard :-?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i heard that the reason exhaust gets louder is because eventually all the left over smog and everything accumulates inside the canister. If it builds up long enough, the muffler would be completely clogged and you would essentially have a straight through pipe...(making sense?) :-?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts