Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep a close eye on the HKS filter.

I am on my second or third HKS drop in filter...never had any issues with in the past, this last one, the filter element dried out. The filter element is composed of two different types of foam(or sponge material), one is finer than the other.

The green element is the thicker part, and the brownish/off white looking one is a thinner element facing the engine/throttle body side.

The brown element dried up, and detached from the green portion, and the engine started sucking chunks!!!!

When i took it out, the brown part was basically disintegrating.

Not good! to make a story short, the car started misfiring badly, stalling. Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.
Basically undriveable....its in the shop getting all O2 sensors replaced, fuel meters replaced, spark plugs replaced...so far...
The engine codes were for

O2 sensors (after the catalytic)
Fuel/air meter (before the catalytic)
MAF (went away)
Bank 1 running lean
Bank 2 running lean

hopefully this will be the end!

Just beware if you are thinking on using an HKS filter, and if you do, make sure you check them often!

Expensive tab for the small gain in performance.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh man what a mess... sounds disaterous!:jawDrop:

I hope you won't get more problems and that'll be it.

Thanks for the heads up on the HKS filter. I sure will not be using it. I feel most comfortable sticking with good'ol Lexus part OEM filter.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
There is a potential issue with oil in the filter get on the MAF sensor and possibly damage it. I would steer away from oily filters. Like playing safe with dry, OEM part filter. :cool:

Yeah, avoid oiled filters if possible... if you still want reusable you can always go with the F-sport filter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts