Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Man that's what I was reading about last month too! I'm swapping mine out to the titan one soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:

"I started having timing belt problems at 30,000 miles, the teeth on the belt started to come off after only 20,000 miles on a new belt. I replaced the tensioner and the pulley thinking that was the problem but 6 months later I started losing teeth on the belt again. This time after a thread on the Suprafourms recommended checking the gears for wear I found the problem. This was not money well spent Im very upset with HKS for making a substandard product. With a stock gears back on the car, she runs better now that there isn’t play in the belt. With the gear wearing down it affected my timing.

Below is a picture of the HKS cams with 50,000 miles on it, and stock Supra turbo cam with 100,000 miles on it. Big Difference!"

http://www.utahracing.com/Tech/hksgears/HTML/index.htm

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
was he the only guy that experienced this? Was it due to wrong installation. The HKS cam gear has been around for awhile now and this is the first time I heard about this....I have one in my car as well but im N/A...should I switch it? Im gonna check mines out soon.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
why does everyone use HKS anyway?

What do you guys think of thise one:
(JUN Exhaust Cam Gear)

"This beautiful cam gear is an excellent choice for 3 reasons. 1)It has a 5 bolt pattern just like the Unorthodox which means no chance of slipping like the low-quality AEM. 2) It uses the stock Lexus cam gear outer ring unlike Unorthodox or AEM which means your important timing belt fits 100% 3) Its very rare & exclusive! The price is for one cam gear which works for intake or exhaust."

Its not as "pretty" but I do like the 5 bolt pattern.

( from http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/merchant/is300.shtml )

Its funny, if you read the description for the AEM cam gears:

"We do not recommend these 3-bolt cam gears. We've had one of our Supras slip time with these installed and 2 more customers have found themselves stranded on the highway because of similar problems."

they sell the AEM cam gears but put a "Dont buy these" in the description because they don't want people to get burned. I think thats awesome. most companies would say they are just fine to make more sales.

·
Registered
224 Posts
We had at least 3 HKS cam sprocket tear off the timing belt. HKS is aware of this problem but wouldn't warranty the parts. Lucky that we didn't have any VVT-i engine have this problem yet.
JP Importz

·
Registered
547 Posts
See right now I'm really confused about what to do. I was leaning towards buying the HKS cam gear but now I'm not sure. Should I go w/ HKS or the Titan?

sISp

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
speedisprecious said:
See right now I'm really confused about what to do. I was leaning towards buying the HKS cam gear but now I'm not sure. Should I go w/ HKS or the Titan?

sISp

I think that this is the reason that HKS did the redesign cause of "issues"

Chouce is yours on somethin like this

I have read a lot of reviews etc...from Supra owners on a couple dif cam gears

·
Registered
547 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
I think that this is the reason that HKS did the redesign cause of "issues"

Chouce is yours on somethin like this

I have read a lot of reviews etc...from Supra owners on a couple dif cam gears
If I order the HKS, how can I be sure that it's the "redesigned" one as opposed to the original?

sISp

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
just get the titan, made by fadonza i think? about the same price if not cheaper, thats what i have and have not had a problem with it. plus i like that it has 5 bolt to tighten it.

-Brett

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
speedisprecious said:
If I order the HKS, how can I be sure that it's the "redesigned" one as opposed to the original?

sISp

It is a purple and silver one opposed to the teal one

·
Registered
287 Posts
Damn... just had them installed like 2k ago and already will have to replace them...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have titans for sale, best way to go IMO.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yep the titan ones are steel teeth

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have the unorthodox one I looked at it after 10k it looked fine.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Yea unorthodox also uses steel teeth

1 - 20 of 26 Posts