Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving today with the sun roof opened and the music off and noticed my intake is making some noise. When I press down maybe 8-10% on the gas my intake makes a hissing noise like you would expect to hear if you suck too much air through a small straw.

I didn't notice this until recently but then again I may just not pay attention enough.

Its been raining a lot lately and the rain does come down through the vents on my hood onto my filter. Could it just be making this noise because the filter is moist?

I'm thinking about making a temporary top for the heat shield for winter just so it doesn't get any more rain water on it but I would still like to hear any input anyone has on this.

Oh and a quick note: This happens at any speed... Say I'm in 5th and let up off the gas at 80 mph then press back down maybe 8-10% as I said it will make the hissing noise but when I press down more it seems to go away.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh... Its not like its being submerged under water... I'm not sucking up water the filter is just getting rain water on it when its sitting but drys out more as I drive from the heat.

·
Registered
664 Posts
that hissing noise is normal thats the sound of your motor sucking in the air from the intake. my friend's intake sounds like a whistle.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
You'll be fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool! Thanks guys... Wasn't too worried about it but I'm glad to hear theres probably nothing wrong.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My LMS does that, sounds like a turbo spooling I like it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
haha yeah, my srt does the same. had this old sentra with a muffler come up on me revving his piece. so i down shifted to 2nd, held it at about 3800rpms then took off on his ass, lol. sounds like a rocket, you'll learn to like it ;) lol

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
haha yeah, my srt does the same. had this old sentra with a muffler come up on me revving his piece. so i down shifted to 2nd, held it at about 3800rpms then took off on his ass, lol. sounds like a rocket, you'll learn to like it ;) lol
you guys might want to look into that, that is not normal, you guys MIGHT have a snake in there! hahaha j/k yeah mines does the same thing nice hissing noise, i like it, when i hear the hissing noise, i know my car is breathing JUST FINE! :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts