Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to all the posters here because I've read through tons of postings deciding what kind of exhaust to get. I've also learned a lot in the past couple of days, but unfortunately, the progress on my IS will have to be slow as I'm in college. But at any rate, I was wondering what kind of tools I will need to install this Hiper, and if it's really straightforward. Any hints, etc. would be helpful as I get started on the long list of things I want to do. From everything I've read so far, it doesn't look too difficult. Thanks everybody.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
you definitely need a hydraulic jack + jack stands.

1. a wrench (i forget the size - check the exhaust installation guide in the COLUMNS section)

2. breaker bar (unless you have air tools)

3. lube - to get the exhaust hangers on/off..

4. extra set of hands to help hold stuff up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Easy as hell just make sure you have someone help you. I did mine myself on a lift and the hangars were kind of a pain

·
Registered
185 Posts
Easy as hell just make sure you have someone help you. I did mine myself on a lift and the hangars were kind of a pain

·
Registered
290 Posts
install is really easy...you need a wrench and some WD40 and a breaker bar...and someone to hold shit up for u while your wrenching it on and off...ask around on .net for people who live around you if you cant find anyone else..im sure plenty of people would be glad to help

·
Registered
712 Posts
IS300_Onyx_SportDesign said:
install is really easy...you need a wrench and some WD40 and a breaker bar...and someone to hold sh*t up for u while your wrenching it on and off...ask around on .net for people who live around you if you cant find anyone else..im sure plenty of people would be glad to help
Ok guys don't flame.... I'm new to modding and have a HKS Hiper coming in soon. My neighbors have those drive up lifts that I can borrow to put the car in the air. It raises the car about 2ft. I know that there are two bolts to loosen to get the stock exhaust off. Some people have complained that it can be a pain in the a$$ to get them off. My question is, what is a breaker bar? I am assuming its like a "gorilla wrench." I am also assuming it is there to give you more leverage. Just wondering.... I'll buy it if I have to to make the install easier. thanks for your help in advance. :)

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
LX4U2NV said:
install is really easy...you need a wrench and some WD40 and a breaker bar...and someone to hold sh*t up for u while your wrenching it on and off...ask around on .net for people who live around you if you cant find anyone else..im sure plenty of people would be glad to help
Ok guys don't flame.... I'm new to modding and have a HKS Hiper coming in soon. My neighbors have those drive up lifts that I can borrow to put the car in the air. It raises the car about 2ft. I know that there are two bolts to loosen to get the stock exhaust off. Some people have complained that it can be a pain in the a$$ to get them off. My question is, what is a breaker bar? I am assuming its like a "gorilla wrench." I am also assuming it is there to give you more leverage. Just wondering.... I'll buy it if I have to to make the install easier. thanks for your help in advance. :)
a breaker bar is basically like a socket wrench but it doesn't 'rachet'.. i usually just use a large pipe around my normal socket wrench and that gives me enough torque to turn the bolts...

·
Registered
466 Posts
You're supposed to use WD40 on the bolts and not the hangers, correct? I thought I remember WD40 as being a corrosive to rubber so that wouldn't be good (to use it on the hangers as lubricant)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts