Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today my car wouldn't start because its too cold out. if i didn't still have warranty on it, i'd run 0w20 oil since it was -32.5*C out.. but since its a 2005 i'm stuck running 5w30 all year round.
instead i want to buy a battery with the highest cold cranking amps possible that will fit without modification. any suggestions and where i can find such a product? I know costco here in Edmonton sells Optima Yellow Tops for around $175 and they're not bad. Is there anything better? Do optima's even fit?

·
Registered
432 Posts
optimas are a little smaller then the stock battery... I had to put a block under the nut that is used to hold the stock battery down because the nut does not go down far enough to hold the optima down.

the wire clamp also does not go onto the positive terminal very well either.. I had to separate the wires from each other and put it on a monster battery clamp. the wire from the alternator upside-down and the car wire on top of that one. Then I used a TRD grounding kit to get my ground hooked up to the negative terminal.

took me and hour to figure out a way to make the optima fit the first time.

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
I have just released a new CNC aluminum machined battery bar to address the issue of fitment with the narrower and short battery. The optimas still require the spacer ( that typically comes with them.) What do you think?

If you get a battery without a tray, I can also make some spacers that fit in the three center holes.

Fig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts