Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone else experiences this but at high speed breaking as in normal highway driving at 70-80mph, I am experiencing shaking of my steering wheel. I think its coming from my fronts of course. Do you think my wheels not being balanced correctly or from warped brake rotors? My mileage is 90K plus and Ive only change my brake pads once. And how can I tell if my rotors are warped?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If you feel shaking from your steering wheel when you're braking, warped rotors is probably the culprit. You can replace them with oem's or brembo drilled and/or slotted, or if you have the big $$$ you have many many options. Try switching to PBR/ Axxis ceramic pads also, they've got great bite to them. I have them on my IS and love them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
if you have warped rotors.. you may also feel ur brake pedal pop in and out as you apply pressure to it =) my dad had some warped rotors on his pathfinder and thats what it did...

Reactions: fuya_inc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you have warped rotors.. you may also feel ur brake pedal pop in and out as you apply pressure to it =) my dad had some warped rotors on his pathfinder and thats what it did...
I dont feel that so its a good sign

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look around some more before you drop money on new rotors. The pads create a film on the surface of the rotor when you brake. As the film cools it creates a more permanent film. If you come to a stop and keep your foot on the brake that area under the pads doesn't cool the same as the rest of the rotor. Now you have an inconsistent film on your rotor. Guess what that feels like...warped rotor. 9 times out of 10 they're not warped. Mine do that and have no reason to be warped. I'm going to have them turned for 14$ each when I put my summer wheels on. A friend had the brake and shake too. Turned them and it's gone.

If they're warped, you'll feel feedback in the pedal as well as the steering wheel.

Conclusion: get them turned. The stock rotors are great. Just do the pad seating procedure without holding your foot on the brake at a stop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look around some more before you drop money on new rotors. The pads create a film on the surface of the rotor when you brake. As the film cools it creates a more permanent film. If you come to a stop and keep your foot on the brake that area under the pads doesn't cool the same as the rest of the rotor. Now you have an inconsistent film on your rotor. Guess what that feels like...warped rotor. 9 times out of 10 they're not warped. Mine do that and have no reason to be warped. I'm going to have them turned for 14$ each when I put my summer wheels on. A friend had the brake and shake too. Turned them and it's gone.

If they're warped, you'll feel feedback in the pedal as well as the steering wheel.

Conclusion: get them turned. The stock rotors are great. Just do the pad seating procedure without holding your foot on the brake at a stop.
Great advice, you think local or franchise tire places do them?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, but is it possible to have Drilled/slotted rotors turned??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw this on another forum, check it out, probably a re-post Warp Rotor Myth.

I have slotted and drilled rotors on my IS, I think I will have to check about the turning myself. Hopefully I find a place that can or I will probably have to go back to OEM :( (I liked the look of the slotted and drilled, also seemed to stop better but then I don't try to always stop on a dime :p)

·
Registered
54 Posts
try checking your wheel alignments, and maybe you should switch your brake pads, try hawks or okebonos, they have good grip on em

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
brake hard a few times to seat everything. when did you change the pads?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have had my roters and breaks replaced twice, and i keep having a shaking problem while braking between 70 and 54-40mph. and also while im driving between those same mph. i don't know whats wrong, ive taken it to the dealer and the said it was my wheels that were bent, so i got new wheels and tired. and nothing has changed....anybody know what else i can get checked? or replace to see if it helps? thanks so much

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Pep boys will turn your rotors for abut 12ea Auto zone (at least the one in Lodi has a machine) will do it for 15ea. Taking them off is not hard. Takes about 20 to 40 minutes to take all 4 off by the time they have turned your rotors (took about 2 hours) you can have everything prepped to put back on, and you have new brakes just break them in properly and you will be good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts