Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, how is everyone doing? I have a question hopefully you all can help me out with. I brought my 2001 IS 300 with bridgstone S0-3's in for warranty work and the problem I had was that on an uneven road or bumpy road the car did not feel stable for example if the road was not even and I was cruising around riding the car with one hand on the steering wheel all of a sudden the car feels like it wants to drift with the way the uneven part of the road is going and I have to start driving with two hands and hold tighter to the steering wheel to have complete control. So i brought my car into lexus hoping to get this taking care of. I told my sales rep i do not want the car just driven around the block and they say everything is ok with it I want it checked completly. So he called the top tech over to speak to me about the problems I am having and I explain and he fully understands and asks me questions to make sure he fully understands me. To my surprise he said if their is a "crown" in the road meaning the road is uneven the cars wants to go to the side the uneveness is going; he told me that it is common with high performance low profile tires and told me they even been having problems with the SC430 with the same things. He told me he is going to check it completely to make sure that is the case. So I said fine and walked in to speak to my rep; which knows a lot and i told him "Shawn, have you heard about high performance tires if the road is uneven that the car wants to go the direction of the uneveness and you guys been having problems even with the SC430 with this, have you heard about this with high performance tires and his response was the same as the tech with the same word of "crown" he told me that if the road has a "crown" in it the cars does want to go the direction of the uneveness and that happends with high performance tires.
The question I have for everyone here is have you guys and girls heard anything about high performance tires such as the SO-3's or any or all high performance tires have this problem of the car wanting to go the direction of the uneven part of the road as this being normal from what my tech and rep said about high performance tires.

P.S. allignment is fine so thats not the problem

Thanks everyone for their help,

Nick

·
Registered
981 Posts
I remember reading that the so3's followed road imperfections alot. That is one of the main reasons I went with the Pirelli PZero Nero's. Sorry I can't help you from personal experience but my brain recalls what it recalls. :D Im pretty sure its normal and goodluck. Peace.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
All tires will nibble, or follwo little gooves in the road. Some are worse than others.

All cars will tend to drift toward the lowest side of the road surface, but it shouldn't be a noticeable effort to steer on a good road. Again, some tires will track better than others.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the reply :) question for HenrysIS300 you said you did not get the S0-3's because you heard that about them but you got the Pirelli's instead well since you got the pirelli's do you feel what I am talking about? If not then I would assume it happends mostly to the S0-3's. But in the other hand DegoIS you said you have Pirelli's and you are having the problem I am talking about? Is that true? And if anyone else could help me out with this issue that would be great :) thanks a lot

Nick

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
MJNOLES1 said:
But in the other hand DegoIS you said you have Pirelli's and you are having the problem I am talking about? Is that true?

Nick
Yes, but not the same ones as him. I have asimmetricos. I don't know about the pzero nero. BTW, I don't suggest getting my tires. Maybe the pzero nero, but I don't really know first hand with them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had first hand experience with the S03's and what the tech guy said was correct. The thread pattern of the S03's were designed for wet weather conditions in mind. They are very good tires. My guess is that the continuous rubber (in the middle of the tire) is causing it to track with road imperfections. I had to deal with this on my RSX-S. My Dunlop did this, as well as my buddies Toyo's T1S and PZero's. The advantages (e.g. turn-in response, grip (wet or dry), better braking) out weigh the negative (wandering, ride quality, road noise, cost, dry weight of tire). Whenever these RE040's are depleted, I will most likely go with either the S03's or Toyo T1S's. My 2 cents on the matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts