Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need some advice bad.
When I went to get my insurance, I was told that I had a horrible record and lots of accidents. My insurance (full coverage) came out to over 7 grand!
The fact of the matter is that I have a clean record (except for one point), but no accidents. The listing my agency pulled up had at least 5 accidents on there. They found this record for me using all of my info. I went to the DMV and got a copy of my driving record and it showed no accidents. My agency still is telling me that I'm screwed and that I need to get a lawyer to clean my record up.

Has anyone had any experience like this?
If so, what did you do? How can I clear my record up? Can anyone recommend a lawyer in NYC?
Also, can anyone recommend any other insurance agencies?

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
I recommend Allstate (unless that's who you're dealing w/ now). Why won't they let you bring your REAL record from the DMV in to replace their records?

·
Registered
69 Posts
who are you working with now..? You can also contact ChoicePoint who often works with the DMV is producing reports like you MVR (Motor Vehicle Report). You need to make sure that there are no other drivers included on what the insurance company is showing you...sometime if you ever were on a policy with someone else, there info will show too which may appear to be yours...7 grand is way too much...most companies would refuse to write you a policy before offering you something like that...

·
Registered
231 Posts
try not going through an agency. i've found it can cheaper to shop around yourself sometimes. try calling geico, progressive, etc. yourself and getting quotes to compare. i've been more than happy with the service that i've gotten from geico. they tend to work better for clean drivers. with the 5 year good driver discount and very high coverage, my policy comes to around $1,500 a year. that seems pretty low considering that i live in connecticut, am only 24 years old, and drive around 27,000 mile a year.

·
11,061 Posts
Shop around. I actually got a very nice quote from American Express! Didn't take it though... I work in insurance and the car insurance guy at the office beat it...and I also get the commission back in cash...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the advice!

Seattleshiela-do you work in car insurance? Why does the insurance company see all these accidents for me when my record is clean? Do you know how I could go about to clean up the other record?

My insurance right now is with Clarendon. Basically, I bought the car, but my dad bought the insurance. I have no idea what possessed him to spend all that money and go with this insurance company that I've never heard of. My insurance policy will be up in October and I'm looking to clear this all up since I'm paying for it myself.

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by IsNYC:
Thank you everyone for the advice!

Seattleshiela-do you work in car insurance? Why does the insurance company see all these accidents for me when my record is clean? Do you know how I could go about to clean up the other record?
I do employee benefits myself...but I'll see if the car insurance guy is around and I'll ask him what you should do to clean up a mess.

·
11,061 Posts
OK, here's what I learned from the car insurance guy at my office:

There are two reports pulled up when quoting your insurance. One is for tickets (DMV) and the other is for accidents associated with the vehicle. Did you lend your car to anyone?
You should ask for a copy of the report they have and review it carefully. Check the dates. Were you driving the car that day? Is it something old that might have happened before you owned the car? (That shouldn't happen, but can.) If they don't want to fix what is obviously incorrect, go somewhere else for insurance...and tell them the problem with the previous insurance comapany. If your record really is clean, they'll be happy to do business with you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice Seattleshiela.
I will keep everything you've said in mind when I start shopping for new insurance in a couple of months.

NO OTHER SITE COMPARES TO .NET!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts