Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep - i put hyperwhites for my high beams and i went to my car to get something out of it - and noticed that there was blue glass floating around in my headlight - my high beam bulb exploded inside the headlight - it "scarred" a little bit of the chrome on the inner housing of the headlight (which i am guessing serves a function to refract the HID light) also it looks as if it is going to be a bitch to get the little pieces of glass out even if i took the headlight and tried to shake it out - UGHH!! so a word to the wise - be careful with aftermarket high beams as i know they burn at a higher wattage - i am thinking that is what caused the explosion - ughhh

going to talk to the insurance company in the morning and see what they can do - anyone know how much a new headlight cost ??

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Just one of the reasons why I do not advocate the use of non-OEM light bulbs.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Did you touch the buld surface when you were installing it? If you did, that may have been the cause of the bulb explosion.
Also, I believe there was a thread a long time ago with regarding to the price of the headlight assembly. I believe it was somewhere around $1500 or so. Do a search and see if you can find it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sure you were careful when you replaced the bulbs, but if you got a fingerprint on the bulb when you put it in, that could explain it...

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did not install the high beams myself - GOOD OLD RPM (anyone in boston knows what i am talking about) did - when i got my car dropped - i bought the lights at the same time and asked them to just toss them in while they were at it - apparently they just tossed them in .. fingerprints and all

i just hope that when i go to the insurance company they don't give me a hassle - can anyone confirm if the chrome inner housing serves a purpose - i think it does - but i was just want to make sure -

RPM is going to get a ear full today as well

as the saying goes " if ya want something done right - do it yourself"

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i just called the lexus dealer - get this - 1624 dollars for the headlight - that hurts the pockets - *is on his way to the insurance company*

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are you crazy? I'd defintely make sure it will not affect your rates. Why don't you take out the hyperwhites, put back your old ones and try to get it warrantied? Just one bulb of course.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
i've had this problem before and in fogs up the inner housing on the headlight. it wasnt in the is300 though, that is why i hesitate to put hyperwhites bulbs in my highbeam. warning: do not use Lucs bubls..they'll explode. we've had it happen to 4 cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, the higher wattage is definitley a problem, I put in hyperwhites in myself and since they have a higher wattage they collected more heat and actually melted my connectors. Same thing happened to my friend's lexus, so I made sure that the next pair I got used the same wattage as my stock bulbs.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
just wondering what brand of lights you used??? The whole fingerprint smudge theory is really true on the cheaper "made in taiwan" bulbs that are like $20/pr. However, I have been told that bulbs such as PIAA's do not have that reaction to oils and such from your skin... Have them on my civic, and when i installed them I certainly did touch the bulbs several times and they are still shinin almost 1 1/2 years later.
I8^)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts