Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you adjust the high beams on these cars? When I shine the high beams on a wall or flat surface, one sits high than the other.
The auto level is only for the low beam HID lights, right??

·
Mr. Roo
10,071 Posts
There is a bracket thingy in the way though, it's supposed to make it so that both lights adjust together, but they are silly and probably broken by now. So you'd have to remove that assembly (might have to remove the head lights to get to it) and then you can adjust the screws for aim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a bracket thingy in the way though, it's supposed to make it so that both lights adjust together, but they are silly and probably broken by now. So you'd have to remove that assembly (might have to remove the head lights to get to it) and then you can adjust the screws for aim.
Thanks, yes I saw that. Is that bracket part of the auto leveling system? I was going to remove it to access the adjustment screw.

·
Mr. Roo
10,071 Posts
Thanks, yes I saw that. Is that bracket part of the auto leveling system? I was going to remove it to access the adjustment screw.
So, the autoleveling is a motor at the bottom of the head light, which attaches to the low beam reflector. You can see it above in the diagram where it points to the "Headlight Beam Level Control Actuator" lol. Fancy. But what that diagram does not show is the part you have to remove. Here's a picture of mine when I removed them (had the head lights off anyway)

So you'll end up with this:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, very much! Extremely helpful. I was able to quickly locate the adjustment screws , only thing that the instructions don’t specify is that you must remove the bracket holding both screws.
thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last thing. You don’t need to reinstall the brackets, right? It’s only purpose is to turn both adjustment screws at the same time.

·
Mr. Roo
10,071 Posts
One last thing. You don’t need to reinstall the brackets, right? It’s only purpose is to turn both adjustment screws at the same time.
Correct, you don't have to install those brackets back. I never did. It just means that the high beam won't "autolevel" , though in your case, it sounds like it doesn't anyway. I never noticed mine doing it. The whole system is rather pointless and gave me way more headaches than it was worth, so I was happy to just have manual adjustment for the high beams so that they would stay where I wanted them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only time I ever see any "autoleveling" going on is when I'm braking to a stop behind another car, or accelerating away from a stop while following another car, then I can see some movement of the pattern of my lights on the back of the car in front of me - more than just the normal movement you'd see if you did not have the leveling control.

·
Mr. Roo
10,071 Posts
The only time I ever see any "autoleveling" going on is when I'm braking to a stop behind another car, or accelerating away from a stop while following another car, then I can see some movement of the pattern of my lights on the back of the car in front of me - more than just the normal movement you'd see if you did not have the leveling control.
Yep, that's what it does. Always trying to keep the lights "level" depending on vehicle loading, deceleration, and acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts