Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done many retros in the past (7-8). To my nature, i must do a retro on the IS. I decided to go all out this time. My last setup was SC430 and RX330s. I was very happy w/ that setup. But i've decided to get the same amount of light w/ just one set of hids. I have 4 TSX projectors in the garage too and debating if i should use that on this retro.

Anyways, I prepped the projectors today.

This is the first time i've worked this projector and the spring method. I've always used nuts and bolts but since it's hard to work w/ springs is needed to align the projector. I'm going to take off the headlights on Saturday, so i'll post more pictures then.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
looks good so far man, are you going to retain the auto-leveling and stock rear caps? GL w/the project!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
cant wait to see what they look like

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's great to see another fellow LS430-retro'd IS300 out there :) + rep

I didn't take any inside pictures of mine, but if you want to see how the projector fits in relation to the headlight housing, let me know. I had to hack up a lot of stuff in the headlight to make them fit.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to keep the auto leveling. I ordered AAC DDE's too. I haven't opened it yet, so i gotta check if it'll work together. I'm going to start soon. Kinda scared, but i have alot of experience behind me.

I plan to paint my headlights too, metalcast smoke to be exact. Should i take out the orange defuser? (if it helps i have a MSM)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I plan to keep the auto leveling. I ordered AAC DDE's too. I haven't opened it yet, so i gotta check if it'll work together. I'm going to start soon. Kinda scared, but i have alot of experience behind me.

I plan to paint my headlights too, metalcast smoke to be exact. Should i take out the orange defuser? (if it helps i have a MSM)
the difuser? the orange is just the bulb. there is a plastic cover within the headlight that you can paint...i had aac painted it jdm style for me a while when i got new headlights...its the strip they left clear and the rest msm.

definetly keep us updated on the tsx projectors, i dont think anyone has done those yet here.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worked about 7 hours on it so far. NOT happy. The spring method does not work w/ our headlights. There isn't much room to work w/ at all in these headlights. I'll post updates as soon as i can. The auto leveling works, but there isn't enough room for it to go all the way up and then all the way down. So it ends up hitting the headlight housing. It moves but not enough. TSX doesn't look like its going in, at least not in this retro, maybe next time. This LS430 retro is taking up more then i though.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I worked about 7 hours on it so far. NOT happy. The spring method does not work w/ our headlights. There isn't much room to work w/ at all in these headlights. I'll post updates as soon as i can. The auto leveling works, but there isn't enough room for it to go all the way up and then all the way down. So it ends up hitting the headlight housing. It moves but not enough. TSX doesn't look like its going in, at least not in this retro, maybe next time. This LS430 retro is taking up more then i though.

The TSX would fit the best in my opinion. I retro'd those into my EVO and retro'd the honda S2K projectors into the IS300. The TSX are so much more compact.

You're going to have to push the projector as far forward as possible in order to keep autoleveling.

What is the "spring method" ?
I've done a few retro's but I don't keep up with retro lingo nor practices.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't doubt that the tsx fitting in the housing, but i just don't want to finish this retro. I'm not sure if you've seen the ls430 in realtion ship w/ the IS housing, but they're huge! and they have shields that stick out in the back. The shroud itself is pretty big and you can't push it past the chrome part. I'm done w/ one side, and still have to fit the DDE's. One housing has been painted w/ metal cast (6 coats), and it looks GOOD! Will post pictures tonight.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I don't doubt that the tsx fitting in the housing, but i just don't want to finish this retro. I'm not sure if you've seen the ls430 in realtion ship w/ the IS housing, but they're huge! and they have shields that stick out in the back. The shroud itself is pretty big and you can't push it past the chrome part. I'm done w/ one side, and still have to fit the DDE's. One housing has been painted w/ metal cast (6 coats), and it looks GOOD! Will post pictures tonight.
How bout you ditch the shrouds and make your own?
That way you can get them to whatever size you want?

Reactions: Chigger

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
that progress looks great man! trust me, i know how frustrating retro'ing these headlights is. the tolerances are soooo tight when working with the auto-leveling and any little adjustment throws others off.
Looks great man! You're in the home stretch! Keep at it!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bad news, one of the halos that aac shipped out was cracked. So this project will be delayed a week... They were nice enough to send a replacement, but they're shipping it w/ ground.

Good news is for the time being i put the headlights back together (not sealed tight though), and will be able to enjoy the ls430 projectors. Man, i must say, when i tested it last night, it was WIDE!!!

Will post pictures tonight on the fully functioning headlight.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
sounds good, are the shrouds clearing the headlight's inner housings? hard to tell from the pics, but either way it's lookin good.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
it's coming along nicely! are you gonna run halo's around the projectors or just around the high beams?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts