Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shocker.

Not that we need it except for the fog lights. but HID conversion kit will be banned for sale & importation on 8-15-03.

I read this on the HIDforum.com and there is a petition to stop the process.

link to the forum thread.
http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=e6c40fa23b23e62af77fb7fbdda07ba6&threadid=596

HID forum guys are pretty pissed about it. Stock up if you want to convert your other cars to HID.

Try to sign the petition at lease.

link here

http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=e6c40fa23b23e62af77fb7fbdda07ba6&threadid=619

Sux. just when HID kits are starting to be cheap enough to do conversions. I just got a 9006 HID kit for my wifes car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It only says they will be banned because they do not have a filament. Do people (NHSTA/DOT) complain that they are too bright--as a safety issue? I see no reason to ban them. They are an excellent lighting system.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
from what i know, Altima's and Maxima's dont have auto-leveling. And its quite annoying at times. If car manufacturers are going to put an HID system in a car, they should bother going the whole 9 yards to make it an effective system, not a half ass job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to say something about this. I haven't read the article though. If they are going to ban them wouldn't that mean anybody with after market HID's would have to go back to regular halogens? It would be to difficult I think to ban something like this. New cars coming out probably wouldn't be allowed to have them then. I think this would stur up way to much controversy. It would probably become one of those you can only use this off road/for show type things if it passed but I can't see that happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lexhustler said:
is this ban just for aftermarket kits
The Debate will began with that right there. If they get aftermarket kits to be gone why should they let Manufactures use them? Yes Lexus has the leveling, but you know there will be people out there saying that still hurts. that blinds my vision. I would hate to see them go! I'll just have to buy the IS now. :D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
here is what i think might happen if this goes through:

for cars that have HIDs and auto leveling already: they will still allow those cars to exist with their current lighting. Think about it, it would be insane to recall all those cars with HIDs to have them changed or something.. just wouldnt be done.

for cars that added HIDs with/without auto leveling: they will be ticketed or something.. (kinda like blue halogen bulb style ticket)

for new cars that are being produced: either they will allow those cars to have HIDs given they pass some type of wack standard like super auto leveling or something.. OR they just dont allow cars with HIDs to be made anymore.. and like someone said, make it an "off road/show" type of thing.

its all crazy to me.. just my .02

·
Registered
138 Posts
this is actually good news. i see way too many SUV's and full size trucks around here with some sort of HID aftermarket kit. freakin blinds everyone on the road. on the other hand, this is bad news for people that drive sedans, coupes, and such who want HID on their vehicles. as someone else mentioned, HID lighting is an excellent lighting system. :-?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts