Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Step 1: Remove the drivers side plastic fuse panel
- Locate the foot rest on the left side of the floor.
- Remove plastic thumb knob (above metal foot rest) that holds the rear of the fuse panel.
- Pull the front of the plastic fuse panel straight away from the clips next to the door trim.

Step 2: Remove plastic panel from below the steering wheel
- Unscrew the 3 phillip head screws from the plastic panel under the steering wheel and loosen the panel by holding the left edge. The panel will now be loose since the bottom screws are removed. Now all you need to do is pull gently on it and top clips holding it in place will unclip and the panel will pull away exposing the wires on its underside.
- Once the panel is loosened and free, unplug the plugs on the backside of the plastic panel. Now disconnect the hood release cable and use a flathead screwdriver to remove the white OBD2 diagnostic port plug out of the plastic surrounding. Now that all the plugs are disconnected from the back of the plastic cover you can now remove the entire thing.

Step 3: Locate the headlight level ECU
- Next locate the headlight leveling ECU; it's the little (silver colored) metal box up under there with a 20 pin white plastic plug in it and a lot of colored wires coming out of the plug. (The box has some printing on it saying - "computer assy headlight leveling"). It will be in plain sight as soon as you take the cover off.

Step 4: Prepare color-coded wires for clipping onto
- Disconnect the white plug from the headlight leveling ECU. This will give you a little more space to work because you have to tap onto 6 of its wires. After you have disconnected the plug take the wires and spread them out a bit so you can see the color combos and seperate them better.

Step 5: Clipping onto the headlight ECU wires
Headlight ECU Plug Wires ----------- HID Controller
Green/Orange (stripe) -------------- Black
Black/Blue (stripe) ------------------ Yellow
Green/White (stripe) ---------------- Brown
Black/Orange (stripe) --------------- White
White/Blue (stripe) ------------------ Red
Green/Black (stripe) ---------------- Orange

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
rep to you. I'm making this a sticky.
Hopefully someone can provide pics at some point.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
some of these wiring colors may be wrong.
I have a controller with diff color wires. I'll update the thread when complete.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Confirmed

Alternate Wiring:

Headlight ECU Plug Wires ----------- HID Controller
Green/Orange (stripe) -------------- Black
Black/Blue (stripe) ------------------ Green
Green/White (stripe) ---------------- Blue
Black/Orange (stripe) --------------- White
White/Blue (stripe) ------------------ Red
Green/Black (stripe) ---------------- Orange

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where did you get your new level controller that you installed?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Someone that has one should disassembal theirs and post a schematic. At least now I know what wires it uses so I can try to reverse engineer myself one.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I remember this thread a few years back. The benefit of using the HID controller is it'll over-ride the headlight ECU so you can adjust/move your lights up/down from inside the car. I still tinker with mine every so often and I don't think you'll find these anymore other than used ones.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
There is a thread in the Roadside Assistance forum on how to make one of these for yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
There is a thread in the Roadside Assistance forum on how to make one of these for yourself.
We'll be bringing the part back as well very soon for those who don't want/have time to build one themselves.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
We'll be bringing the part back as well very soon for those who don't want/have time to build one themselves.
make it nicer looking the reason i didn't get one long time ago was i didn't like the way it looked

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Oh really? Any way to gauge HOW soon?

Might it have a better design aesthetic?
Well, that is the plan. I was even considering using up/down keypads, but I'm not sure how carried away we want to get.

The article written by silverf16 looks pretty solid, and much less complicated than the original (which is what I currently have sitting on the counter).

I'll keep you posted, right now, I'm swamped with LED orders, and those take priority, but I'll have brandon start looking into ideas for housings and nice looking controls.

I hate gaudy and bulky controls, so rest assured, whatever we come up with, it will look like it grew there, and most likely, it will grow into the coin tray panels.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
i tuck mine under the radio area, so many people didnt see it. Nice thing to have. Should be brought back, have a couple friends that want them!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well, that is the plan. I was even considering using up/down keypads, but I'm not sure how carried away we want to get.

The article written by silverf16 looks pretty solid, and much less complicated than the original (which is what I currently have sitting on the counter).

I'll keep you posted, right now, I'm swamped with LED orders, and those take priority, but I'll have brandon start looking into ideas for housings and nice looking controls.

I hate gaudy and bulky controls, so rest assured, whatever we come up with, it will look like it grew there, and most likely, it will grow into the coin tray panels.
I think a good idea would be to have something similar to the side mirror adjustment buttons.

Just have a little three position switch with a spring on it to make it go back to the center position. Up, center, down.

And maybe include an on/off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my car doesn't have auto levelling but i have the stock manual leveller. won't it look more standard if you manage to get this type of setup and use the stock location and switc?
i'll post some pics as soon as i can

1 - 20 of 41 Posts