Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Twisties Addict
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

my HID level control just came!
Any ideas on where to install the control box besides the one pictured?
I was thinking mid console, but i dunno how i would do that and make it look clean with the wire.
Also what to use to secure the box.....like mounting tape or what?

thanks

-willy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
Re: Ideas needed.....and one question, HID level control

bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
Hey fellas,

my HID level control just came!
Any ideas on where to install the control box besides the one pictured?
I was thinking mid console, but i dunno how i would do that and make it look clean with the wire.
Also what to use to secure the box.....like mounting tape or what?

thanks

-willy
Got mine mounted next to the coin holders.
 

·
Twisties Addict
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ideas needed.....and one question, HID level control

lambchop11078 said:
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
Hey fellas,

my HID level control just came!
Any ideas on where to install the control box besides the one pictured?
I was thinking mid console, but i dunno how i would do that and make it look clean with the wire.
Also what to use to secure the box.....like mounting tape or what?

thanks

-willy
Got mine mounted next to the coin holders.
any pics of exactly where?

and what did you mount it with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
Re: Ideas needed.....and one question, HID level control

bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
lambchop11078 said:
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
Hey fellas,

my HID level control just came!
Any ideas on where to install the control box besides the one pictured?
I was thinking mid console, but i dunno how i would do that and make it look clean with the wire.
Also what to use to secure the box.....like mounting tape or what?

thanks

-willy
Got mine mounted next to the coin holders.
any pics of exactly where?

and what did you mount it with?
I just drilled a hole, put the wires through it. It's a snug fit and tilted towards me. I thought about putting it in the center console but then I didn't want my friends to play around with the knobs. Atleast no one will muck around with it on the driver side other than myself. I'll try to take pics when I have a chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts


What I really wanted to do was move the blank coin cover to the middle and move the middle coin holder to the left, drill a hole through the blank cover and put the HID controller there. But I couldn't do it without cutting the wire on my alarm LED. Maybe when I get bored one weekend I'll do that.
 

·
Twisties Addict
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well now i have a problem......i tried to install this last night......followed the directions and went to test it out and it didnt work!!!!!!!!!

i had a few uncertainties while i was installing though.

like
-the black/orange wire.......i saw a black/brown looking wire, and a black/red looking wire.......also it says to remove the fuse box cover, but then you dont do anything with the fuse box, do you? I just opened it for no reason or what?????????
Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
ok well now i have a problem......i tried to install this last night......followed the directions and went to test it out and it didnt work!!!!!!!!!

i had a few uncertainties while i was installing though.

like
-the black/orange wire.......i saw a black/brown looking wire, and a black/red looking wire.......also it says to remove the fuse box cover, but then you dont do anything with the fuse box, do you? I just opened it for no reason or what?????????
Please help!
I wasn't joking around about the black/orange and black/brown wire. I did mine during the day time and I still had a hard time distinguishing the two without a flash light. Are you sure you got the right wire? Make sure you spliced all the wires correctly. I don't remember but removing the fuse box might give you more room to work in.

Just a FYI for everyone, if you're planning to do this mod...make sure it's done in the day time where there's plenty of light even the instruction mentions that. You're just asking for trouble if you're doing this at night.
 

·
Twisties Addict
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lambchop11078 said:
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
ok well now i have a problem......i tried to install this last night......followed the directions and went to test it out and it didnt work!!!!!!!!!

i had a few uncertainties while i was installing though.

like
-the black/orange wire.......i saw a black/brown looking wire, and a black/red looking wire.......also it says to remove the fuse box cover, but then you dont do anything with the fuse box, do you? I just opened it for no reason or what?????????
Please help!
I wasn't joking around about the black/orange and black/brown wire. I did mine during the day time and I still had a hard time distinguishing the two without a flash light. Are you sure you got the right wire? Make sure you spliced all the wires correctly. I don't remember but removing the fuse box might give you more room to work in.

Just a FYI for everyone, if you're planning to do this mod...make sure it's done in the day time where there's plenty of light even the instruction mentions that. You're just asking for trouble if you're doing this at night.
does the black/orange wire.......does the stripe look kinda of red?

i just tried it again but it didnt work.....i guess im going to have to check all of the clips over again......its just a bitch to work in that small of area with all those small as wires!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
lambchop11078 said:
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
ok well now i have a problem......i tried to install this last night......followed the directions and went to test it out and it didnt work!!!!!!!!!

i had a few uncertainties while i was installing though.

like
-the black/orange wire.......i saw a black/brown looking wire, and a black/red looking wire.......also it says to remove the fuse box cover, but then you dont do anything with the fuse box, do you? I just opened it for no reason or what?????????
Please help!
I wasn't joking around about the black/orange and black/brown wire. I did mine during the day time and I still had a hard time distinguishing the two without a flash light. Are you sure you got the right wire? Make sure you spliced all the wires correctly. I don't remember but removing the fuse box might give you more room to work in.

Just a FYI for everyone, if you're planning to do this mod...make sure it's done in the day time where there's plenty of light even the instruction mentions that. You're just asking for trouble if you're doing this at night.
does the black/orange wire.......does the stripe look kinda of red?

i just tried it again but it didnt work.....i guess im going to have to check all of the clips over again......its just a bitch to work in that small of area with all those small as wires!
Compare the orange wire to another orange wire that's what I did. I didn't want to take any guesses. My advice is don't rush, take your time and check each wire after you splice it.
 

·
Twisties Addict
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did that^^^ i took the black/red and compared that red stripe with another red wire and it looked dead on.....so i looked for another wire and couldnt find one!
i hope i solve this shit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
i did that^^^ i took the black/red and compared that red stripe with another red wire and it looked dead on.....so i looked for another wire and couldnt find one!
i hope i solve this sh*t!
There's a black wire with an orange stripe in the ECU wiring harness. Go through each wire, I'm sure you'll find it.

Did you look at this pic.

 

·
Twisties Addict
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem Solved!!!!!!!!!!!

but there is no way my wire looks like that one in the pic!
The wire i have is more of a brown than an orange.
and no im not color blind, i got a second opinion!
But its fixed now......pair of pliers did the trick, i had never used those clips before so i was just using my fingers :oops:

But thanks for the help :)

lambchop11078 said:
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
i did that^^^ i took the black/red and compared that red stripe with another red wire and it looked dead on.....so i looked for another wire and couldnt find one!
i hope i solve this sh*t!
There's a black wire with an orange stripe in the ECU wiring harness. Go through each wire, I'm sure you'll find it.

Did you look at this pic.

 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hey guys, i got mine installed and it works for about 6 min. and i get a level light, but when i turn off the contoller it goes off in about 2 min later, do you guys know whats going on?
 

·
Blue Glowie
Joined
·
3,769 Posts
Choi, re check your connections, you may have a loose tap or wrong wire. I have had mine in for about a week now and leave it always on. Haven't had any problems with the level light coming on.

I had the same problem at first with the taps not being all the way locked. After using a pair of pliers mine fired right up. It's tough to get a solid tap with just the pressure of your fingers. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,941 Posts
Glad you fix the problem Willy. Yeah, you're going to need pliers to squeeze the wire splicer. There's no where you can squeeze it with your fingers to force the splicer to make contact with both wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Yeah, I guess I should have described crimping those connectors down tight with pliers in the instructions, not everyone has used them before.. Good to see most problems are just minor...

The guy with the light coming on.. THATS just strange!!.. It does really sound like an intermittant or maybe even crossing the wrong wire or somethin... a light doesn't come on unless you have a BREAK in the system or wires are crossed..

Good luck and I'm here for any more questions..
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top