Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 3000K Mobil HID brand 9006 HID kit in my fog lights. However, I noticed when I turn them on it cuts the radio reception and all I get is static. I figured it was a bad ground, so I rewired it to ground to 3 separate locations in the engine bay hoping that would help. I also sanded away the paint to make sure it was in contact with bare metal.
That still didn't work so i called the manufacturer and they instructed me to try connecting the ground directly to the negative terminal of the battery. So, I did and it still didn't help and now I'm out of ideas.

the wiring of the system is as follows:
power wire running from positive terminal of battery to relay behind passenger headlight. From the relay a plug plugs into the passenger foglight plug to trip the relay when the fogs are switched on. also from the relay are the wires to the ballasts both of wish are mounted roughly 6 inches below the headlights on either side of the car. and the wires are run behind the front bumper but in front of the radiator. lastly leading from the relay is the grounding wire which is currently grounded to 3 points in the engine bay

If anyone has any idea what the problem is or has experienced something similar I would really appreciate the help because I've looked everywhere and cant find anything.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
its the frequency from the ballast that does it. I have installed a few kits that did that. Why did you have to go through all the trouble to put the relay and stuff in? You need to try some ballasts from different manufacturer.

·
1,621 Posts
Yup, diablooffire03 is correct!

It must be the frequency that the ballasts emit that interfere with the radio. I have the same problem with my HID foglights on my is300, the aftermarket HID headlights on my other car and the HID headlights on my bro's car. Not too sure if it's the make of the HID kits or what.

And I really don't think there is a fix because when I was testing the HID foglights in my garage the frequency of the ballasts were even effecting the radio signal for the stereo in the garage! :suspiciou

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the relay is the way the kit came because it draws so much current that way it doesn't pull the current through the factory fog light wiring.
so basically would a different brand of ballast work? and if so what brands are you guys using that don't cause interference

·
Registered
57 Posts
For the record, what brand did you buy so that i know not to purchase it. I plan on perchasing HID for my fogs here in a week or so and don't to run into this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts