Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fog lights have been disfunctional for the past 3 months, mainly because i really dont have time to look into what the problem really is. (i have stock ballast, hid bulb and jdm clear fogs)
anyway, one day my fogs suddenly stopped working (both at the same time) and i went to the dealer and they told me it might be cuz the wires are burned cuz of the hid ballast.
i would like to know if there is a way that i can make sure it is the wire thats causing the problems and if so, how can i repair it? or maybe wire it to elsewhere?
Please help. Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
3 things come to mind when they stop working.

1. both bulbs are blown (it may sound odd but check'em anyway)
2. Check your fuses to see if they aint got a blown fuse.
3. If your any good with a Voltmeter, get one and test out your switch cause if both light aint working it just may be a bad switch.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This happened to me with my 8000k kit for my fogs....it was a full aftermarket kit for the fogs and one day they just wouldnt turn on...
-Matt

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
sent kit back and sent fogs out to be painted IBP so ill tel you if they work once new kit is reinstalled...I think imma run better gauge wire for the lights tho...
-matt

·
Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
Rather than have us try and guess what the problem is, you can just take a peek and come back with more info than just "it won't work".

Either way you have to get down there to fix it.

·
Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
blueMM said:
cuz the wires are burned cuz of the hid ballast.
That normally wouldn't happen. It depends on how the person installed it. If they did it like a focktard, then yeah, you "could" melt the wires, but it should have blown a fuse first.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
If you are using the stock ballast there is a good chance it shorted out due to moisture. Unless you have the ballast in an air tight enclosure like the OEM unit was designed for you are just asking for problems.

If the "disfunction" you described involved a flickering of the bulb you can bet your ballast is shorted out. remove the ballast from where you have it mounted and if its shorted out you will know because the entire unit will be corroded.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all, thanks for helping everything!
Here is the update: i took everything apart this weekend and inspected the ballast and wires and everything "looks" fine.
So, since I have the car apart now, I was wondering this: Can i take a transformer (that matches the voltage of the ballasts) and then cut off one side and wire it to the ballast then plug it in. if the ballasts work, then that means somewhere in the car (maybe the fuse, or the wire) is defective.
Will this method work?
I didnt want to try anything before consulting with you guys.
Again, thanks for helping.

·
Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
did you check the fuse man?

·
Premium Member
52,297 Posts
blueMM said:
yes i did check the fuse around the passenger foot area and everything "looked" fine. how do i test for defective fuses? thanks
If you have an ohm meter you can chec for continuity across the fuse. Or you can try another fuse. There are some spares in the under hood fuse box.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bartkat said:
blueMM said:
yes i did check the fuse around the passenger foot area and everything "looked" fine. how do i test for defective fuses? thanks
If you have an ohm meter you can chec for continuity across the fuse. Or you can try another fuse. There are some spares in the under hood fuse box.
ok, sounds pretty easy, but, how do i know which fuse to test for? and also, that transformer idea, is that a good way to test the ballasts?
Thanks for all of the help so far!

·
Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
hehe. listen. take it step by step and logically for a sec before you start testing all this random shit.

Before even going to the dealer and removing your bumper and checking the ballasts, you should have checked the fuse.

Since BOTH lights are out, that suggest a problem with power supply. True, the ballasts are vital in the route of power to the bulb, but whatr the chances you blow both of them at the same time? Fer serious.

Check the fuse. That's elementary. In fact it's so simple they actually tell you where the fuses are in the owner's manual.

Try that first. Then come back and tell us it's not working.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.