Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is not about your opinion and your experience with the Kit you have. What I am actually looking for is the reality about the IS wiring:

Can the ISx50 (specifically 2008) wiring/harness for the regular Halogen Headlights be converted to any HID Kit that doesn’t use the relays and direct power from the Battery?

In other words, can the stock harness withstand the power of the ignition for the HID lights (which is about double of the continuous power of halogen) or not?

If this can be figured out, then it would be easier for everybody to decide what kit to get.

Hopefully somebody here knows the answer based on technical specs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been running my Hella kit for a little over a year without a harness now, and have not ran into any problems...

That being said, this is a tough one to answer because it varies for each HID kit you buy. Each ballast has it's own ignition current, so this is a case to case basis. Also, the startup current required to fire up a cold bulb is much higher than that required to fire up a hot bulb.

If you have a XenonDepot kit, checkout this site: Lotus Elise HID Upgrade

The guy actually had some good current measurement tools there, showing the current spike is around 16A for a little less than a second for a XD kit.

According to 2IS manual (page 302), each side has a 15A slow blow fuse for the headlight low beams. Realistically, a 15A slow blow won't really go out unless there's about 17A for more than a second.

IMHO , with a good quality ballast (MTEC, XD, Hella) , the 2IS wiring harness should be able to easily handle the very short current spike to fire up the HID's.

This is why you don't buy $50 fleeBay kits...... you own a Lexus, enough said.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have no problem without that.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
No problems with e MTEC kit as plug and play. The headlight circuit is plenty robust to handle the bulb starts.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Been running McCulloch kit for 2 years now, no issues with the wiring harness. One of my ballasts went bad, but nothing to do with the harness.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I ordered the Xtreme HID Kit from Xenon Depot which has the Relay and harness to the battery. I should receive the Kit sometime this week or next week, and I will install it on the weekend.

I decided to buy this particular kit for many reasons. To start with, I feel more comfortable having the power running on a dedicated line with a fuse and Igniter, which can make it very easy to troubleshoot in case of failure and of course, it gives a “break” to the OEM harness when the igniter goes on. I also like the fact that each light has its own dedicated and isolated harness so chances of loosing both headlights are very rare.

Besides the technical part, I have also decided to go with this kit because Xenon Depot has an excellent rating on many forums for not only good quality kits but also for customer service which I happened to find out myself by asking them for some advice. Their reply was quick and was very helpful.

I will add on a second post after I receive the kit and have it installed for sometime just to follow up.

Thanks for posting your opinions and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Many vendors do not include relay harnesses as relay harnesses cost money. They simply want to purchase the product for as little as possible for higher margins. We include a relay harness for several reasons:

1) The ballasts are powered directly from the battery. This ensures that they always get a constant 12V. This is important as if the ballasts don't see 12V they will flicker which will cause them to burn out.

2) With a wiring harness installed you do not run the risk of damaging your vehicle's OEM headlight wiring. This is also important for those of you that are still under warranty as with a wiring harness there is no legitimate reason for a dealer to ever blame an aftermarket product should something ever go wrong.

Better safe than sorry..

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts