Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i ever knew of when you car did not have HIDS is wht most people are doing on the new IS. Which is buy a kit from phillips mccallugh or denso and put it in. These kits i just came to know are in NO way street legal because they are not the actural real HID light and cause unsual glare and brightness which cause blindness to oncoming drivers...What on earth is the easiest most efficient and cheapiest yet most factory lookin way to put HIDS on my is350? remember it has projectors now so can i take out whatever is300 uses and put that on? someone help

·
Registered
236 Posts
most factory looking way would yeild the "cheapest" route. you can't go wrong with a retrofit, yet it'll dig a deep whole in your wallet. go to hidtech.com and you an get projectors and hella ballast and phillips D2S capsules as a package.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
pay-me-now said:
most factory looking way would yeild the "cheapest" route. you can't go wrong with a retrofit, yet it'll dig a deep whole in your wallet. go to hidtech.com and you an get projectors and hella ballast and phillips D2S capsules as a package.

I would do this or contact LCA575

He is doing a set for my new vehicle :cool:

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
FYI philips, denso, mccullough do NOT make hid kits. those companies make HID components, which are then put together by companies in korea, china, taiwan, etc.

beam patterns are NOT correct with HID kits.

in contrast, hid retrofits typically take an approved HID projector from another vehicle and puts them into your car. perfect beam pattern (assuming the installer knows what they are doing).

however, if you go the retrofit route, you might as well pay for the dealer option HIDs

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
one other thing, depending on what size the headlights of the new IS are (as in bulb size) it may be possible to buy an HID kit, if you can find the right glare shield for it.

by the way, 350s don't come with HIDs?

·
Registered
236 Posts
irv_usc said:
FYI philips, denso, mccullough do NOT make hid kits. those companies make HID components, which are then put together by companies in korea, china, taiwan, etc.

beam patterns are NOT correct with HID kits.

in contrast, hid retrofits typically take an approved HID projector from another vehicle and puts them into your car. perfect beam pattern (assuming the installer knows what they are doing).

however, if you go the retrofit route, you might as well pay for the dealer option HIDs
nobody said that phillips, denso, or mccullough made hid kits :suspiciou

also, the beam pattern of putting aftermarket or rebased HID kits to fit the halogen projectors will only produce an ugly scatter and beam pattern.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
A lot of it depends on the quality of the kit. I have seen some aftermarket HID kits actually look pretty good as far as the beam pattern goes. I think as long as you go with quality components and a true conversion bulb designed to replace the halogen one that was originally in the car, it should look pretty good. The really bad ones are the ones that people have stolen from maximas and such and have hacked up the bases and rigged them into their housings.

Also, stay low on the K temp. 4000k-6000k and it will look nice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
quality should usually be priority when considering "the best"

second note,

hid reflector and halogen reflector work differently from each other...

hid projector and halogen projector also work differently from each other....

mixmatching these set ups won't give you "the best" and probably won't give you anything better than your stock halogen set up...

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
pay-me-now said:
quality should usually be priority when considering "the best"

second note,

hid reflector and halogen reflector work differently from each other...

hid projector and halogen projector also work differently from each other....

mixmatching these set ups won't give you "the best" and probably won't give you anything better than your stock halogen set up...
True, to an extent. An HID kit or retrofit will work FINE in the new IS, because it uses prjector lenses. WHile there may be SLIGHTLY more glare, it will be practically negligible.

Furthermore, HID and Halogen projectors are NEARLY identical. I have a D2S BMW projector next to a H7 BMW projector. The ONLY difference is there is a grooved surface on the reflector above the D2S bulb. The curvature is the same, the shield is the same. The plano-convex lens is the same.

Also, no shield will be needed for the IS since it already has it integrated into the projector assemblies.

Most problems with conversions/retrofits is that the bulbs are NOT manufactured, they are REBASED. Often times, the rebasing changes the position of the arc tube in relation to the housing. If they are manufactured with the correct base-to-filament distance, there are usually no problems.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
irv_usc said:
one other thing, depending on what size the headlights of the new IS are (as in bulb size) it may be possible to buy an HID kit, if you can find the right glare shield for it.

by the way, 350s don't come with HIDs?

I believe some do and some don't? The last 350z I saw the other night had HIDs but not sure if it was aftermarket or not but it looked factory because there wasnt any glare.

·
Registered
236 Posts
^^^ i think he's talking about is350's not 350z's. and yes, all 350z's come with xenon. not all is350's do.

Inspar8r said:
True, to an extent. An HID kit or retrofit will work FINE in the new IS, because it uses prjector lenses. WHile there may be SLIGHTLY more glare, it will be practically negligible.

Furthermore, HID and Halogen projectors are NEARLY identical. I have a D2S BMW projector next to a H7 BMW projector. The ONLY difference is there is a grooved surface on the reflector above the D2S bulb. The curvature is the same, the shield is the same. The plano-convex lens is the same.

Also, no shield will be needed for the IS since it already has it integrated into the projector assemblies.

Most problems with conversions/retrofits is that the bulbs are NOT manufactured, they are REBASED. Often times, the rebasing changes the position of the arc tube in relation to the housing. If they are manufactured with the correct base-to-filament distance, there are usually no problems.
the projectors won't produce anymore glare in halogen is350's since there is a shield anyways and projectors are shield style lighting output as it is. light will scatter... maybe not enough for someone to care for, but many people wouldn't recommend it.

halogen and hid projectors look identical because basically they are, except for the fact that halogen and a D2S bulb distribute light completely different... one being horizontal and the other vertical, that's why there is a difference. my guess is lexus blessed the IS350 with decent projectors to spread the lighting nice and wide, just like your H7 bmw projectors! projectors come in different sizes and diameters... so an eye to eye comparison wouldn't justify how similar they are when producing light, other than looks.

hidtech.com has great OE xenon kits (put together by them)

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
pay-me-now said:
^^^ i think he's talking about is350's not 350z's. and yes, all 350z's come with xenon. not all is350's do.

the projectors won't produce anymore glare in halogen is350's since there is a shield anyways and projectors are shield style lighting output as it is. light will scatter... maybe not enough for someone to care for, but many people wouldn't recommend it.

halogen and hid projectors look identical because basically they are, except for the fact that halogen and a D2S bulb distribute light completely different... one being horizontal and the other vertical, that's why there is a difference. my guess is lexus blessed the IS350 with decent projectors to spread the lighting nice and wide, just like your H7 bmw projectors! projectors come in different sizes and diameters... so an eye to eye comparison wouldn't justify how similar they are when producing light, other than looks.

hidtech.com has great OE xenon kits (put together by them)

This wasn't an eye to eye comparison. I measured various parts of it, including the arcs and whatnot. There was only one distinct difference.

I'm not sure what you mean about vertical and horizontal. If you're talking about filament placement within the bulb, you are mistaken. The filament in the halogen is oriented the same as the arc tube in the HID bulb.

Like i said above, the diameter and arc of the plano-convex lens (the projector itself) is all the same. I didn't look at it and make that determination, i measured...

Even the distance from the bulb base to the flat surface of the projector is the same.

At any rate, this could go on forever. Fact is, a conversion (switching to OEM HID housings) or retrofit kit (HID kit made to fit in halogen housings) will produce the nearly the same amount of light and coverage. Only the halogen retrofit may produce glare that can only be measured, not seen.

I retrofitted HIDs (4300K) into my BMW and had NO noticeable increase in glare when we compared it to my buddies e46 M3. I actually put out more light than he did on the ground, but that was because i used different projectors (BMW had projectors on their 3 series cars in 87)...

·
Registered
236 Posts
nice work... i was thinking of doign a retrofit, but it takes up so much time and money. but it's well worth it if you've got both! projectors > reflectors. how was your cutoff line? (that's my favorite part lol) i love the bling and one of the nicest factory blings come off a honda 2000. or, you can bend your shield for a nice colorful cutoff!

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
pay-me-now said:
nice work... i was thinking of doign a retrofit, but it takes up so much time and money. but it's well worth it if you've got both! projectors > reflectors. how was your cutoff line? (that's my favorite part lol) i love the bling and one of the nicest factory blings come off a honda 2000. or, you can bend your shield for a nice colorful cutoff!
HAHA, i did the same thing.

I'm working on a single projector setup for the IS300, we'll see what happens. Trying to accomodate the autulevel feature and all that. Might be awhile before i come up with something...

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Inspar8r said:
HAHA, i did the same thing.

I'm working on a single projector setup for the IS300, we'll see what happens. Trying to accomodate the autulevel feature and all that. Might be awhile before i come up with something...

Need anything hit me up

I know that LCA575 has done it, I have looked into it as well

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
linlin88 said:
so is the new IS350 a d2s bulb type?

Projector headlights = D2S

Reflector headlights = D2R

·
Registered
236 Posts
^^^ they come HID as an OPTION not standard... but if it were HID then yes, D2S.

inspar8r: what projectors are you using for your retrofit??? keep us updated, i want some picsssss!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts