Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done a search on this topic and i can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for. yesterday, i was parked next to a GMC envoy and he had his HID's on. when i compared the two, i noticed the envoy's hid system lights up a little more blue than on the is300. personally (i know some disagree on this point) i think it looks better. my question is, does the actual reflector system determine the final colour output, or is it the hid bulb itself? if it is the bulb, i would like to replace it with something a little bluer (personal preference). i know the bulb code is 'D2R'. i am certainly not complaining about the light output on the IS, it is amazing if you ask me, but i personally prefer a more blue/white light.

thanks for any input

------------------
2K1 SBM IS300
ivory leather, LSD

·
8,880 Posts
In my opinion, the color of IS' HIDs is just perfect. You make it bluer, you'll end up w/ more people high-beaming you (or so I think.) Drives people crazy.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Lexus_IS300

What you're saying will not help.

The city light wedge bulb in our cars is 5 watts. This can in NO WAY affect the color of our HID systems. HID systems produce much much more light than normal halogen bulbs. The color of the HID will mask any color bulb you chose to put in. ( If you try red bulbs, you can still see the red if you look up close, but from far away you won't see a thing)

PIAA does not and cannot make an HID bulb because an HID system needs an ignition system and special HID.

My brother just got an HID system for his celica. It costs $500+ .

I personally have some PIAA wedge bulbs in my car. I have the plasma blue bulbs. They emit a blue hue when my HID lights are off. They make no difference when my HID lights are on.

This doesn't answer your original question however, on how to change the color of the HID.

Supposedly Lexus did this on purpose. I think the older GS had more blueish tint to their HID systems. Try and go to a salvage yard and get the HID bulbs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would agree that a little more blueish might be nice. I dont' know how much or what kinda of bulbs to change. Otherwise, it is under 100 for a pair, I will probably do it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think what SophieSleeps was saying is correct... I don't think changing the bulb with an aftermarket type like that will change the tint of the bulb color. The HID systems output way too much light...

I guess in some way, I'd also prefer a bit more blue-ish tint to my HID's when they're on... but the super white light they emit already kick a$$. *shrug*

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Most likely the "bluer" bulbs have a different gas mixture. I suppose if you wanted something like the color of Audi HID's, check which brand of bulb Audis use (Osram?).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so, would i be correct in assuming that a different hid bulb (like one from an older gs300/400 or audi/bmw) might work? i know the bulb type is d2r

thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do a search on the HID. I think not too long ago, someone had the answer to get more blue out of the HID. He had a link to a Japanese site where you can change the actual HID bulbs. I visited that site but I didn't know what I was reading because the whole site was in Japanese!! The only thing I understood was that they had a picture of a regular IS300 and a modified IS300 headlights showing off the new and improved color.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Im not sure what system IS300 has for its lights but on IS200.. there r no HID. Instead I have changed mine to PIAA plasma Bulb.. this bulb gives out 4300k.. which is a white puplish/blue colour from 2 metres away.. but white with changing bluish when it is further away.

if changing bulb is the answer PIAA has lights HID ranging up to 5000k.. 5000k lights give off a greenish colour. My sisters 323ci has 5000k for normal lights and has taken my 4300k to use on her fog lighgts without my permission.. and they cost me $150 Aud... which i got on japan whilst i was working there

I prefer 4300k than 5000k due to the whitish blue colour.

I also changed the smaller light (parking light) to Raybrig blue lights.. this looks totally wicked.. giving a more blue tint to the lights.. too bad the cops didn't like it.. got fined $150 aud for having blue lights...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm sorry, i don't understand japanese

is that bulb in the previous link an hid bulb with a blue cover on top or is it just a regular halogen bulb?

the bulb says 35w on it, so i assume its an hid bulb...does anyone have any experience using this blue filter?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i tried translating the japanese text using the altavista translator... here goes:

But midnight of the white spark the weapon new appearance 4300K and the 5000K the expectation red sandal wood, it is pale - * & * after all, way densely officially there is no ‚á nationwide sale installing agency, production in the midst of collecting. Installing methodological patent application end The MagiC$east of HID installing quantity worldwide number one recommends The HID super goods left and right set price which it is possible with the new material of 21 century XXYEN 16,800 Special set price XXYEN 14,800 Production original Japanese coating entire sale original Magic East - We devised from the thought of liking to make the light maintain whose immediately after of the HID lighting up is pale forever. - We to use the new material of 21 century which withstands the high temperature of 600 degrees or more, because deterioration is little vis-a-vis the especially ultraviolet ray, it changed color midway, burned, coating it did the material which the crack does not do to crack, inside the high heat-resistant glass tube which was made the crystal in the raw materials. - Blue with the cotton stick it can make the adjustment of the priority brightness priority simple. You can install in all HID valves regardless of new model car * back matter. Please verifies the size of the burner the fact that there is a stock of both size is just the MgiC$east. Blue lagoon 1 - burner diameter 8.7mm - 8.8mm Philips make burner genuine on-board HID/BELLOF/ IPF/ SUN/ in addition manufacturer blue lagoon 2 - burner diameter 8.9mm - 9.1mm osram make / national make burner genuine on-board HID/BCEcLcIcAcS/colg/PIAA/8C8h/ in addition manufacturer It is the model which is installed at this corporation to the HID of genuine loading. When thickness of the burner left and right is different when it is genuine, it is. HONDA Accord wagon / Odyssy / ƒCƒ“ƒeƒOƒ‰ /S2000/NSX TOYOTA. The Crown athlete / ƒ}ƒWƒFƒXƒ^ / ƒZƒ‹ƒVƒI / Wien dam / harrier chaser / ƒJƒ‹ƒfƒBƒi cSubaru. ƒŒƒKƒV�[ NISSAN R34 skyline - Installing method very is simple. First while turning the spring from the point of the ground line, it inserts in basis. - When it inserts the vertical groove of the glass tube alongside the ground line and reaches to the spring it does not come off to turn, by bounce of the spring try to start to be light in the ground line. - Old H7. As for the old HB4 valve adjusting to the length of the valve, please adjust the spring. In case of the ƒLƒc�[ƒC the spring it is not with it is the OK. It is state after the illumination 30 second. You installed in the ƒxƒ�ƒt cHb4 on just the left side. Before description above lights up, state (this the parenthesis is good) - Point of caution 1 at time of ƒxƒ�ƒt H1 valve installing The valve insertion opening enlargement processing above the diameter 11mm is necessary * Inserting the blue lagoon before the installing, please verify. - Point of caution 2 at time of ƒxƒ�ƒt cHl4 valve installing The part where the valve slides to the high beam enlargement processing above the 11mm is necessary. * Inserting the blue lagoon before the installing, please verify. Being. -, the note 3 ƒxƒ�ƒt old H7/ old HB4 valve when installing to enter and, being the ground line and something where the opening of the valve is little, to be a ‚¸ leprosy case please do not insert unreasonably. The entrance part of the groove of both sides please make angle round with the sandpaper and the like. In addition, shaving the groove of the glass tube, when it expands, it is easy to enter, is. When, furthermore the groove part is shaved entirely, it is easy to enter, is. - Note 4 when installing Length of the HID valve please adjust the spring of attachment together. - Inside the tube it is blue with the kind of feeling which does methodological ear cleaning of brightness guaranty it can wipe off simply with the cotton stick. As for job ' politeness ' please make ' kind ' ' little by little '. ' - Blue it is blue on the c

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by 4NROOTS:
i tried translating the japanese text using the altavista translator... here goes:

But midnight of the white spark the weapon new appearance 4300K and the 5000K the expectation red sandal wood, it is pale - * & * after all...
Still don't understand a word...anyone here fluent in Japanese care to shed some light on this?

Does anyone know if this is available in the US, and if so does anyone locally carry it? Shinestreet Ben are you listening?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You are in the right track. However, there is more to it, like the voltage level used to exite the Xenon gas. The power use for HID systems is between 1200 & 1800 volts. The higher the voltage the "bluer" the light. The simples explanation with out going in to physics.
Originally posted by JW:
Most likely the "bluer" bulbs have a different gas mixture. I suppose if you wanted something like the color of Audi HID's, check which brand of bulb Audis use (Osram?).
------------------
AD ASTRA PER ASPERA Silver,Graphite, Black
Fully Loaded

[This message has been edited by Taino (edited March 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
Lexus_IS300

What you're saying will not help.

The city light wedge bulb in our cars is 5 watts. This can in NO WAY affect the color of our HID systems. HID systems produce much much more light than normal halogen bulbs. The color of the HID will mask any color bulb you chose to put in. ( If you try red bulbs, you can still see the red if you look up close, but from far away you won't see a thing)

PIAA does not and cannot make an HID bulb because an HID system needs an ignition system and special HID.

My brother just got an HID system for his celica. It costs $500+ .

I personally have some PIAA wedge bulbs in my car. I have the plasma blue bulbs. They emit a blue hue when my HID lights are off. They make no difference when my HID lights are on.

This doesn't answer your original question however, on how to change the color of the HID.

Supposedly Lexus did this on purpose. I think the older GS had more blueish tint to their HID systems. Try and go to a salvage yard and get the HID bulbs.

sophie, the reason there is a yellow wedge bulb in our headlight is to subdue the blueish tint often extracted by HID lights. putting a blue bulb in WILL not change the headlight color but will change the tone of the color to more of a blueish one rather than whiter tone one. try it. put one blue wedge bulb in ur right headlight and keep the stock one on the other.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima

[This message has been edited by Lexus_IS300 (edited March 22, 2001).]

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Sorry Lexus_IS300

I don't mean to be an ass or anything. But I completely disagree.

I've tried, red, green, blue, dark blue bulbs. It does not change anything.

I do realize what you are trying to say...the tone of the light, not the color. But I still strongly disagree. Even from 5 feet away, there is no change in tone...however you can see the location of the city light and you may even be able to see some of the color, but try standing 20 feet back. When someone is on the road, there is absolutely no way you can tell.

My brother's new HID that he got for his Celica...someone told him that they will develop a blueish tint after something like 48 hours of use. This is because the HID when light, uses the gas inside to produce the light. However, there are impurities and such inside the bulb. When the HID are new, they have to "burn" these impurities and gases. Eventually, they all settle, and the light turns a little more blue. (This is from someone who had HID installed on his Jeep)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sophie about your brother's Hid's the person was right...I had a 97' Rodeo before my IS and had aftermarket HID's put in the HID's need to "burn in"...the color gets alot better(more blue)...also a side note the aftermaket HID's are brighter(more blue) than most factory HID's...so his will probaly look better than ours(in the IS) in about 1 week....week and 1/2.....Dan

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
what kind of HID kit did your brother use? phillips? i disagree with you dt1313, because stock hid looks a hella better than aftermarket ones. my friend bougth a phillips kit for his trd tundra truck, doesnt look as good.. the problem is beam adjustment also.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lexus_ IS300....while i definatly respect your opinion after reding your posts for many months now and again it is your opinion I would definatly say of my experiences the aftermakets look better.....The aftermarkets I had were before the Philips became all the rage...although the Philips are just as good pus smaller ballsts and longer wires....the key to the install is the spacer buit to make sure the lights have the perfect flat beam.....The audi Hid's i feel look the best rom afar but for all around "blueness"(i that's a word I would go for the aftermarkets....I have a set sitting in my room that are going in my fogs or up for sale......but aftermakets are my vote...lastly I don't know how long your friend has had the bulbs but if they're new give them about 2 weeks for everything to "burn in" also try to see if a shop will either make a spacer or if they have his exact bulbs.....the old solution was the spacer because different types weren't easily accesable now you can usually find bulbs that will drop right in or can be modded just a little.....the beam adjustment and "burn in time" do wonders.....sorry for ranting....Dan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts