Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, appreciate it if you could share some experience with me here.
A few weeks ago, i got my driver side HID headlamp replaced in a dealer. However, the HID replaced is not as white as the passenger side one which has never been replaced. Instead, it is a little yellow when compared to the passenger side one and the projection of the light is not as far too. When asked, the dealer told me that the HID bulb needs some time to "charge up". He even pulled up a brand new IS for me to compare the HID with my headlamps. To my surprise, the HID on the new IS is not as white as my passenger side HID too!!! Guys, is it true that HID bulb really need some time to "charge up" to be as white?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i'm pretty sure that a new hid bulb needs time to burn out all the impurities. when my car was new i kept the hids on all the time (day or night driving). i still wish the hids were as bright and crispy blue/white as the bimmers

·
Registered
345 Posts
Those bulbs in the Bimmer are a $500 option!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our bulb cost like $400 each!!!
Anyway, thanks for the input. 4NROOTS, i really hope that it is like what you say and also hope that it will turn white in some time. Sometimes i get paranoid and thinks that the dealer cheated me, haha

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
$500 is a veritable bargain compared to the C-class HID's--$850 plus you have to buy the C4 Package ($800 for headlamp washers and heated seats)!

Originally posted by mjdart:
Those bulbs in the Bimmer are a $500 option!
[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: JW ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
They sell new HID bulbs in Japan that emits a more blue color. Philips, PIAA and a couple other companies have them on the market. They also have covers that install directly over the HID bulbs to give a blue shade. These are a little bit more cost effective. I don't know the exact cost right now but I saw it in one of the Japanese magazines.

·
Registered
169 Posts
TOKU, do you have any links for those other hid bulbs?

also, who makes the hid bulb for lexus?

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: 4NROOTS ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
PIAA calls the bulbs "Cobalt Blue HID bulbs" and they emit 6000K and are approximately $450 in Japan. Bellof calls them "Arc White" and they emit 5000K. Phillips calls it "Altinon Flash" and emit 6000K. Most of these products have open ended pricing so it will depend on where you buy it. I may get a pair when I fly back to Japan. I have been trying to locate a photo online but haven't found any. If you can pick up any of the Japanese magazines, you will probably find a PIAA ad in there (most probably in the OPTION magazines).

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
mjdart - the bulbs listed in the links above are halogens that look like HIDs and not real HIDs. The bulbs they just came out in Japan are real HID bulbs that are noticeably brighter & bluer than the stock HID bulbs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ah....... no wonder they cost so much more

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just an FYI:

Cars with "Reflector" type systems use the D2R bulb. "Projector" type systems use the D2S bulb.

The IS300, GS300/430, ES300, LS430 use D2R: The bulbs you will find at your Lexus dealer are made by Philips.

Here is an explanation for color and cutoff: "D2S has no shield. D2R has a shield. Shield is used to create the cutoff and 15 degree rise to the right (beam pattern) in reflector headlamps. D2S is used in projector and complex-surface reflector headlamps. NO mixing and matching. Color temp of D2R is SLIGHTLY higher (by 100K...barely noticeable) because the shield runs it hotter, and hotter HID capsules run less blue (higher color temp)"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Seattle IS300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing