Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum. Just met another IS owner who told me about this website.

A little about me, Im located in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have two IS300s. One is a Solar Yellow 2002 IS300 manual with 33,000 miles and the other is a 2005 IS300 Absolutely Red Automatic with 11,000 miles.

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla S that has 49,000 miles that I use as my commuter car so my IS's keep the low mileage.

I haven't made any alterations to my cars
so they are 100% stock and I don't drive them in the rain. So they still have the strong new car smell and are in mint condition. I never race them or do any of that just really have loved them since we got them brand new.

Are there any Bay Area Lexus meet ups anymore to see everyone's Lexus's?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You my friend have won my award for the lowest mile is300 I've ever seen yet alone 2. Beautiful cars. Welcome.
Thank you so much everyone is so nice on here. I noticed you have the intensa blue IS! I loved loved loved that! Out of all the blues Lexus offered in the five years they made our models Intensa was my favorite one by far.

In fact I had the dealer line up my three top favorite colors and besides the ones I have the intensa blue was my third top favorite. I remember saying I wish I won the lottery because I would have selected nearly every color offered except for the golds and silvers I didn't care too much for.

Do you have the Black or Ivory interior?

I am a total Lexus fanatic and have all the brochures of the different models over the decades including the 2001-2005 IS. It's fun to see the changes they made over the years. For instance the interior trim on the 2001-2003 is dark graphite gray but in the 2004-2005 it's bright silver with bright silver stitching on the steering wheels. I also have the leather bound Lexus book.

One thing I wanted to mention to everyone is a lot of people assumed sticky dash was from lots of miles in the sun and being outdoors. Mine have never been left out and both had sticky Dash. Lexus replaced both the yellow ones dash in 2016 and the red ones dash in June 2022. So my opinion is the material just degrades over time regardless of how mint you keep your IS.
Thanks for the mileage award(y):D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! Though even that Corolla is extremely low mileage for that age.
Thank you! Yes, I'm ocd about my cars. Although the corolla is my commuter car anytime I rains as soon as I get home I pull the hose out and wash the underneath and dirt off, then if it's not raining still I dry it and put it back under it's triple water proof car covers. So it's also in mint condition minus little chips here and there.
The Toyota and Lexus dealer always say when I come in for oil changes it's like a time tunnel because the cars are showroom condition. I love them all so much. Wish I could meet the IS300 designer and tell him what a great job he did.

Whenever I'm out driving and see IS or Corollas with peeling paint and faded headlights it's makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard. I just can't understand how people can treat their cars that way. Then again maybe it's just my craze of Toyota Lexus products haha

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
Well, on the flip side, those people are actually using and driving their vehicles as they were meant/designed to. But on the other hand, it's very cool that you've basically been able to afford to keep two showroom models in your garage. I'm sure you'd also cringe seeing the kids doing street takeovers and donuts in public roads in their IS's, since they've gotten very cheap. They became like the Civic in my day. So it is refreshing to have someone like you on here who isn't trying to modify the cars. As you've been the original owner for 2 decades, I'm surprised you weren't on here sooner!

Ah yeah and that is interesting about the dashboards going bad. It's one of those inevitable things. I guess that could have also been nails on the chalkboard for you too. They can't do everything perfect!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, on the flip side, those people are actually using and driving their vehicles as they were meant/designed to. But on the other hand, it's very cool that you've basically been able to afford to keep two showroom models in your garage. I'm sure you'd also cringe seeing the kids doing street takeovers and donuts in public roads in their IS's, since they've gotten very cheap. They became like the Civic in my day. So it is refreshing to have someone like you on here who isn't trying to modify the cars. As you've been the original owner for 2 decades, I'm surprised you weren't on here sooner!

Ah yeah and that is interesting about the dashboards going bad. It's one of those inevitable things. I guess that could have also been nails on the chalkboard for you too. They can't do everything perfect!
Oh yes just to clarify I didn't mean to sound judge mental I understand cars are meant to be used and I get that a lot of people the IS is their main car. It's just to me personally I get all freaked out when I see the sideshows with people racing the IS's and not looking after them. Again no judgements on how anyone else uses their cars.:)

As for the dashboards I just wanted those out there that had the sticky dash to know it wasn't from their level of care for their car.I recently saw another IS owner say it was because his car was in the sun. I told him mine live in the garage and don't see the sun often but still got sticky dash.

I know Lexus is a great company and all their parts vendors can't be perfect. I'm just super grateful they replaced both dashboards and other parts in my cars. I can't recommend Lexus to others enough such a great company and great cars!

Wish list... I wish I could have won the lotto and bought the following Lexus and kept them mint as well... 1993-1994 LS400, 2003 GS430, 2006 LS430, 2006 SC430. Those are my other favorites.

·
Registered
2002 is300
659 Posts
Thank you so much everyone is so nice on here. I noticed you have the intensa blue IS! I loved loved loved that! Out of all the blues Lexus offered in the five years they made our models Intensa was my favorite one by far.

In fact I had the dealer line up my three top favorite colors and besides the ones I have the intensa blue was my third top favorite. I remember saying I wish I won the lottery because I would have selected nearly every color offered except for the golds and silvers I didn't care too much for.

Do you have the Black or Ivory interior?

I am a total Lexus fanatic and have all the brochures of the different models over the decades including the 2001-2005 IS. It's fun to see the changes they made over the years. For instance the interior trim on the 2001-2003 is dark graphite gray but in the 2004-2005 it's bright silver with bright silver stitching on the steering wheels. I also have the leather bound Lexus book.

One thing I wanted to mention to everyone is a lot of people assumed sticky dash was from lots of miles in the sun and being outdoors. Mine have never been left out and both had sticky Dash. Lexus replaced both the yellow ones dash in 2016 and the red ones dash in June 2022. So my opinion is the material just degrades over time regardless of how mint you keep your IS.
Thanks for the mileage award(y):D
I have the Alcantara black interior. And yes I spent some good time figuring out what year I wanted. decided on 2002 because it had the newer electronics but the older graphite trim and a quicker ratio steering rack I believe unless that was 03, I can't remember now. I love the blue and it's held its color well and been well taken care of but the miles have gotten to the paint. I might do a trd from lip and a sti esk rear wing, saw one online and fell in love with the look. Might repaint the front clip and have the paint touched up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Alcantara black interior. And yes I spent some good time figuring out what year I wanted. decided on 2002 because it had the newer electronics but the older graphite trim and a quicker ratio steering rack I believe unless that was 03, I can't remember now. I love the blue and it's held its color well and been well taken care of but the miles have gotten to the paint. I might do a trd from lip and a sti esk rear wing, saw one online and fell in love with the look. Might repaint the front clip and have the paint touched up.
Nice! You've got the best IS blue in my opinion for sure!

Wow sounds like Lexus made small changes during the 2001-2005 years to the IS. Yeah I noticed Lexus changed metals in the engines too. The 2002 has maybe stainless steel or non corrosive metal but the 2005 appears rusted. I checked it out at Lexus and they said they changed the metal types but it's solid. It just doesn't look good to have a nearly brand new only 11,000 miles and then have this ugly rusted piece in there. Wish they would have kept the older metal choice.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2002 is300
659 Posts
Nice! You've got the best IS blue in my opinion for sure!

Wow sounds like Lexus made small changes during the 2001-2005 years to the IS. Yeah I noticed Lexus changed metals in the engines too. The 2002 has maybe stainless steel or non corrosive metal but the 2005 appears rusted. I checked it out at Lexus and they said they changed the metal types but it's solid. It just doesn't look good to have a nearly brand new only 11,000 miles and then have this ugly rusted piece in there. Wish they would have kept the older metal choice. View attachment 142847
View attachment 142846
Yes though out the generation each year has slightly different changes. The maintenance light started in 03 and 03+ got the silver trim. Manuals are available in 2002+. Looks like all your missing is a blue or green sportcorss and you'll have a good collection going.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes though out the generation each year has slightly different changes. The maintenance light started in 03 and 03+ got the silver trim. Manuals are available in 2002+. Looks like all your missing is a blue or green sportcorss and you'll have a good collection going.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Right!

i know in 2004-2005 Lexus said they started making the front and rear taillights more of a smoked chrome surround. However with mine parked in the garage next to each other I can't really see a difference in them?

I looked on the forum at Lexus meet ups for the San Francisco Bay Area but it doesn't look like there's been one in awhile. Do you guys think maybe since corona happened the meetups just kind of fizzled out? I think it would be fun to meet up with other Lexus owners and check their cars out.

·
Registered
2002 is300
659 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Right!

i know in 2004-2005 Lexus said they started making the front and rear taillights more of a smoked chrome surround. However with mine parked in the garage next to each other I can't really see a difference in them?

I looked on the forum at Lexus meet ups for the San Francisco Bay Area but it doesn't look like there's been one in awhile. Do you guys think maybe since corona happened the meetups just kind of fizzled out? I think it would be fun to meet up with other Lexus owners and check their cars out.
I think facebook is the place to go for meetups. I see them every once and a while. Once you find someone else they often know others and you become connected to the local scene. Car meets are still popular its just turned more to a social media invite only / have to be connected type of thing also car meets are generally over now due to temps and weather usually.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think facebook is the place to go for meetups. I see them every once and a while. Once you find someone else they often know others and you become connected to the local scene. Car meets are still popular its just turned more to a social media invite only / have to be connected type of thing also car meets are generally over now due to temps and weather usually.
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wow 😍
2 beautiful cars and the low mileage is incredible.
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy.
Side note those are the cleanest engine shots ever 😂
Thank you for the compliments! I vacuum the dust out of the engine when I detail it and also detail the bottom of the car too so it's not dirty.

I just love the style from top to bottom of the IS since it debuted. I'm so happy I was able to get my top two favorite colors. I like that they are so opposite too... the yellow one (the yellow one Zesty and the red one Spicy..they have name🤣)has the manual, the alcantara seats, graphite wheels and the suspension is much tighter. Then the red one has all the luxury features full leather, softer suspension, regular wheels, heated seats and memory seats. The only thing neither of them have Is the Navigation. I didn't want to get it back when because I felt the tech would date the car so glad I didn't get that. Both have the Lexus nose masks.

i tried looking for pictures of your IS but didn't see any pictures what year and color do you have? Mine arent as interesting as everyone else's on here because it's all stock so no special modifications or updated lighting etc

I'm still having issues finding Bay Area Lexus get togethers. I tried going on Facebook to find Lexus groups but I guess no one has car meet ups around here anymore.

Thanks again for saying hello, I'd love to hear about your IS!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts