Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the + and - of both cars... Thanks for your time... I'm getting my new car with in the next few days, so I need to know soon...

------------------
God I love cars... :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
To me, it was mainly the price. I cannot find a reason on why I should paid nearly 50K out the door to get a 330i (in So Cal).
I have to say I've never driven the 330i, but from my experience of the 323i/ci, 328i/ci, and 540 sports (auto), I have to say that BMW is not really the Ultimate Driving Machine I thought it would be. I have to say the handling is pretty good, although I don't think it is top notch, and may lack the IS a little bit. Also, the steptronic sucks. It takes forever to upshift, and this happen on all the 3 series I test drove and my friend's new 540 sport. When shifting at the redline, you will have to take your foot out of the gas padel to prevent it going too far into the redline. I don't think BMW will improve the steptronic that much, if at all, on the 330i. If you really want one, get a stick.
This is one thing I really like about the 3 series. It's transmission is smooth, probably best I've ever drove. The clutch is easy to operate (unlike my old eclipse) and light, while the gear selector is gated really well and you probably won't miss a gear. And if you like to try heel-and-toe, the pedals are setup corretly for you to try this.
Oh another thing, watch for the reliability of the car. I think the car will be great to have for the first 36,000miles, but after that, prepare to pull some big bucks from your wallet when going in for a service.
One thing I do have to give to the BMW is its comfort. It rides a little bit smoother than the IS, so if that is what you are looking for, go with BMW.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I picked the 330i over the IS300 because of the "connected to the road" feeling that BMW steering and suspension provides better than anyone else in the business and because of the oodles of power in the 3.0L inline-6. After 5 weeks and 5300 miles, I love my 330i all the more. It is just a total blast to drive through the twisties.

Of course, you should test drive both as I di. And if the BMW doesn't put a Silly-Assed Grin (SAG) on your face, it's probably not the car for you. If you don't feel in your gut the telepathic steering feel and total control and composure of a BMW (with the sports package!), you'd be buying the car for the wrong reason...image. The BMW is about driving enjoyment and excitement and if you don't feel that the first time behind the wheel (and not everyone does), go with something else.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The reason I chose the IS300 over a BMW is because almost every other luxury car that drives by is a BMW. They all look alike... and those BMWs are the most common luxury sport sedans out there. I wanted something fresh, something new, and something that won't break down as much. And as with the service, Lexus is probably as good as its gets. Any questions?

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't have an IS300, but I'm getting the 5speed as soon as it comes out.

Personally, the reason I chose this over the new 330 is because of PRICE! and TUNABILITY issues.

First off, a similarly loaded 330 manual will cost an extra 7-8K. I want to put in a supercharger, and that's going to cost around 7-8k and ofcourse, not to mention the voided warranty, which hurts especially on a brand new car. I know the handling and feeling of a BMW is superior to that of an IS, but IS is a better value.

For the IS, for an extra 7-8 grand, I might be able to get a TRD supercharger that will keep my warranty and add some high-perf. coilovers that should improve handling and feel considerably. For the price of a new stock 330, I can have a hooked up IS doing 0-60 in mid to low 5s. That's why I chose the IS.

If I had the money to spend on a 330(the car and its very expensive maintenance fees) I would have gotten the 330.

Call me shallow and one-minded, but these are the two reasons I'm buying an IS.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the supercharger on a 330i? it wont' necessarily mess up your warranty if you get it from dinan, but i agree that it costs an arm and a leg =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the IS300 over BMW 330i, because everything is basically included in the price. It's definately a personal thing, but is it worth $6K more--no. And even if they were priced the same I'd take the Lexus. The BMW is not a head turner (not why a bought the IS, but it's cool to have people stare and point.)

------------------
Austin
'01 IS300 - Black/Tan

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let's be fair here...I've owned Lexus and BMWs in the past...

I chose the IS 300 because BMW 328/330 DID NOT have as much options as the IS. Look at what the IS has to offer - you dont have to keep upgrading or asking more options as the BMWs. In fact compare a 323 to 328 - you cant tell the difference. Of course, 330s body changed a bit but need to look closely.

Let's do the (+_ves of the IS:
- Looks: the body style of Lexus does not change dramatically as the Bimmers. It takes them at least 5 years to revamp the whole body and interior. Think about it - -after 2 years, the 3 series line looks old already.

- Performance: 330 and IS pretty much the same. Maybe a tiny bit more oomph in the 330. In the 1.4 mile, I'd place my bets on the IS winning it by a slight margin.

- Maintenance - - I've had an ES300 for 8 years...the only PROBLEM was changing the battery. On my old 325is, I had to change a lot! Electricals go wrong, brakes release more dust, etc., etc. Longevity wise, IS is still my choice.

- Image: yes, the IS is very sporty BUT BMW is BMW. They've got the image. But the IS is changing that.

- Price: I dont have to list the +ves on the IS do I?

too much to list....I'll post another later....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bottom line is that both the IS300 and the BMW 330 are similar. Yes the BMW is alittle faster big deal. Both of these cars handle and are fast enough for anyone.

The choice comes down to personal tast. The IS300 has an agressive style, while the BMW is very conservative. Just look at the interior of both.

Also, face it BMW and Lexus are both very well known for good product development. You will not go wrong eithe way. I just liked the looks on the inside and the outside of the Lexus.

Money as well was not an option for me. Another 5 or 6k was not an issue. I just liked the IS 300 look wise better.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by Badman Forever:
The reason I chose the IS300 over a BMW is because almost every other luxury car that drives by is a BMW. They all look alike... and those BMWs are the most common luxury sport sedans out there. I wanted something fresh, something new, and something that won't break down as much. And as with the service, Lexus is probably as good as its gets. Any questions?
If you want something different, neither BMW nor Lexus is the label to go with. Lexus is as common if not more so than BMW on the streets and I've seen as many IS300s as 330i's on the road.

At any rate, for me, it came down to which sedan was the most fun to drive for under $50,000 and the choice was easy, the 330i. If money is a big factor for you, you won't go wrong with a IS300, but you may want to look at the 323i or, its replacement, the 2001 325i. If image is what you're after, get a C-class Mercedes. It ain't going to be half as fun to drive as either the Lexus or the BMW, but it'll do wonders for your ego.

In any case...DRIVE all the cars before you buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Decided in the first mile of a test drive that I just did not like the 'feel' of the BMW.
It had a "heavy" feel to the handling, very similar to my Dakota pickup.
All the BMW (and Mercedes) that I have driven
seem to have this, and it may be just what many drivers like.
The IS300 has a "lighter/sharper" feel, more like Formula Fords that I drove on the track.
The other BMW negative was that the gear spacing (manual) seemed a little off.
First gear a little too low, then a big change to second.
They are both great driving cars, the IS just fits my preferences better.

Black IS

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by Jebzter:

- Performance: 330 and IS pretty much the same. Maybe a tiny bit more oomph in the 330. In the 1.4 mile, I'd place my bets on the IS winning it by a slight margin.
I have a $1000 that says the 330i (with automatic) will beat or equal the IS300 in the 1/4 mile in ALL of the magazine tests. Any takers? The 330i should win pulling away because of its fat and very flat torque curve and its extra horses and better weight to horsepower ratio.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Young is correct, drive all the cars you are considering. You just cannot experience what other people are feeling until you really go and test it.
One thing I do find is that the BMW's steering wheel is heavy, but there are people who like this. MB's steering seem a little bit too light for me, like the typical Lexus except for GS and the IS.
If you are going to step up to the price range of a 330i, I suggest you can look into the GS300 or the MB C320, both these are pretty nice cars.
Again, it is up to your test drive experience.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:

One thing I do find is that the BMW's steering wheel is heavy, but there are people who like this. MB's steering seem a little bit too light for me, like the typical Lexus except for GS and the IS.
Bimmer enthusiasts are complaining that they've lightened the steering for the 330i. I don't mind the lightened steering, but I did like the heavier steering in the 328i. The tight steering is one of the reasons for the "totally in control" feeling you get when you drive a BMW. Short of manual steering, you won't find better road feel than than through the steering wheel of a BMW.

·
Registered
511 Posts
After seeing more and more IS's on the road the difference between it and the BMW is very clear.

The IS driver is typically younger and I am guessing, but I could be wrong, it seems as if they are young people moving up from Honda Civics, Eclipses, etc. I think the price difference may account for this.

Also, the IS is a flashier car, no doubt. The tailights and edges to the body are a lot louder than an 3 series. I asked my wife simply "What do you think of that car?" (I didn't even tell her what it was). She stated, "Ewh, it looks like some kids lowered Toyota." I don't totally agree with her but I found it an objective comment.

I don't think you will see nearly as many people over 35 buying the IS vs. 25-35 age a group. There will be exceptions but I think certain people will feel the IS is a bit too young and loud for their tastes.

By the way, in regard to the head turning, I used to do the when the bug first came out also. I don't now.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It seems to me that this topic has been beaten to death already.

Just buy the car that makes you happy and the one you like and stop being so concerned about which one does this or that or who likes what.

I have seen old people in the BMW and very young people. Believe me if a 17 or 18 year old with rich parents is going to buy the car, 5 or 6k is not going to make a difference, so bottom line it is tast that attracts one person or another to a certin car. Not prior civic owners etc.

That sounds like a comment coming from someone who is a little concerned there might be some real competition towards their beloved BMW!!!!

I am sure and almost confident that there are plenty of honda etc.. kids, guys, girls whatever buying the BMW as well. It is just a mater of tast.

Why don't we just get rid of this topic all together, and if you have a BMW go to the Bimmer.org and if you have the IS stay here and just have fun with your choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I chose the IS300 over the BMW for a couple reasons.
1. My personal opinion is that IS300 looks better than the BMWs. More head turner. Especially in New York where BMW are common.
2. Price (I wouldnt spend 45K on a car)
3. I like to drive rare cars. Can't stand when everybody has one.
4. I like the headlights. Dont know why everybody disses the headlights.

negative
1. Cupholder (Can't fit a my checkers large drink)

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Be different
2. bmw 3 series used to be the cars that wealthy Thai men buy for their mistresses. (and merc for wives)
3. I like japanese stuff.
4. cheaper

1 - 20 of 55 Posts