Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Burke and I'm new here. Look forward to talking with all of you and getting some tips and advice about my IS 300 Sport Cross. Got it in '03 and I haven't done much to it. Any info on Exhausts, mufflers (I hate those sewing machine things) suspension, intake etc would be cool. I'll be browsing through the site for the next couple days and I'll probably find a lot of new info and some answers to some of my questions. Anyway, I would like to ask a question. I have this horrible "clank" coming from under the car whenever I hit a bump. I've had Lexus look at it and they say they can't find anything wrong with the car and I even had my tire guy look and he can't find anything either. It's driving me crazy because I can't figure out what the noise is. It souns like Metal on Metal as if something is loose and clanking around under there. Any ideas? I had the front swaybar come completely loose on the passenger side about a year ago so I thought that may be the problem but it wasn't :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
welcome! what clank? is it something that happens only when you first start driving or does it happen every bump? if it's a thunk/clank that happens when you drive the car after its been parked a bit, that's been called normal and attributed to our floating caliper design.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=215391&highlight=floating+caliper

as for exhausts, check out GO FAST and see pics/search for sound clips. maybe hit up the regional forums and meet some local is300 owners with mods and hear / see in person. find one that fits your taste.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check to see if the brake pads have that seperating paper clip thing in it, there should be 2 clips per side. The pads will hit the rotor and make that noise. It happened to me to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DonCorleone said:
welcome! what clank? is it something that happens only when you first start driving or does it happen every bump? if it's a thunk/clank that happens when you drive the car after its been parked a bit, that's been called normal and attributed to our floating caliper design.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=215391&highlight=floating+caliper

as for exhausts, check out GO FAST and see pics/search for sound clips. maybe hit up the regional forums and meet some local is300 owners with mods and hear / see in person. find one that fits your taste.
No it's a definite clank. It almost sounds like it could be the calipers banging onto something because it doesn't do it everytime. It usually happens when I hit something in the road like a raised crack or manhole cover or even when I roll over the raised dots. You can hear it then. And it never goes away. It's there constantly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
there could be a nut loose behind the steering wheel ... :p

. make sure all strut tower bolts are tight and sway bar brackets are tight. go over suspension with a torque wrench and re roadtest.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
hey burkeg, fellow sportcross owner over here. hit up the sportcross forum. not much action goes on there but at least we have our own forum to discuss our awesome wagon. if you have any Q's about sportcross modding in general let me know.

dave :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Things to check for your clunk(since its in motion apparently on a 'sudden' shift in suspension):
1)Sway bar linkages-make sure all the rubber bushings are still intact and there should be an upper and lower bushing on both where the linkage goes to the control arm and where it meets the sway bar.
2)Sway bar bushing-if a shotty job was done on the placement of the bushings for the sway bar, it could clank on where the bushings are
3)Struts/strut nuts-make sure all the nuts atop the strut tower are fastened hard with a 3/8" drive ratchet and socket if you don't have the proper tools to torque it to specs.
4)See if the car makes a sound if you lightly tap the brake while anticipating the clunk....if the sound isn't there, then it is in your brakes, and could simply mean replacing the floating caliper bolts and lubricating them. I had a sound come from a Landrover like that and it drove everyone crazy trying to diagnose...luckily for me, i happened to try out the brakes when hitting a bump and found it to go away.
5)If all the above don't work, take a while to search your whole front end over with a long prybar to test your ball joints, and look for any metal to metal contact areas....if its hitting, it will scratch out some new fresh metal....
Good luck fixing your IS!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Welcome aboard and as dayvers mentioned before swing by the SportCross Forum, and join the select few, with folding seats!

Post pics of your ride when you get a chance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
probably crap movin around in your trunk(or whatever the sportcross has). usually the spare tire jumpin and clunkin cause its not bolted down.

check

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Burkeg said:
No it's a definite clank. It almost sounds like it could be the calipers banging onto something because it doesn't do it everytime. It usually happens when I hit something in the road like a raised crack or manhole cover or even when I roll over the raised dots. You can hear it then. And it never goes away. It's there constantly.
Sway bar links. Probably the little rubber isolators.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts