Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took on one of you is 300 guys today on the interstate.

he was initially racing a tiburon why im not sure i knew thats a waste of gas even for a stock is 300. but i passed by them when they slowed up. and the lexus then got in behind me like a foot away form my bumper. he might have been trying to see why my badge on my car said v8.. im not sure heh. but it was annoying me how close he was. so i punched and pulled a car real quick just to let him know im game if he wanted to run. he then proceeded to go WOT and flew by me and i went back wot again and stop his momentum at about 75 we was even at about 124 or so i was about 4-5 cars ahead. pretty quick for just 215 or so hp. like the look of yours cars also esp the hood that neet arrow type look to them. unmistakeable on the road.

also have a question. what turbo setups are their for you guys?

their is a is around here says turbo on the right rear sid eof his trunk area. but i hear no spooling. or anyhting. just curious. because i know a turbo for a 2004 GP na model will put them in the 350hp/400tq area. so i wanna know what im up against before i run into this heh.

i run [email protected] at the track [email protected] 1/8

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Bragging about beating an IS is like bragging about outrunning one of these...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh heh. well how about i also beat one of you guys in my 3.8l 2004 grand prix NA also :) with just intake/custom exhaust/cut out/180 tstat. i was being nice :) but you forced me to post that also :)

bragging no. why would i brag about it was just posting it. i brag about being able to out run wrx sti from 70-130 :) awd tisk tisk loses to much power up top.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
GXPPOWER said:
oh heh. well how about i also beat one of you guys in my 3.8l 2004 grand prix NA also :) with just intake/custom exhaust/cut out/180 tstat. i was being nice :) but you forced me to post that also :)

bragging no. why would i brag about it was just posting it. i brag about being able to out run wrx sti from 70-130 :) awd tisk tisk loses to much power up top.
its all good, I got smoked by my friend GTP. That was my first go in the IS and I was like damn...but the mods for it are quite available as acumendude said. So if your thinking about getting one, do some research. IMO, they are very underpowered...
:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heh

heh. thats the same way with GTP's. their is probly as many mods for the GTP as mustangs. sometimes makes me wish i had got a GTP model but ill just be patient and wait for the impala's and monte to come out 3 diff models all with same engine will bring a huge aftermaket for our ls4's.

i didnt know their was such a aftermarket for the is 300 heh. till i seen a vid one day of a turbo is. i was like. hrrm thats fast lol.

just curious are you saying the GTP is under powered? or the IS heh?

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
the older GTPs are worthless on highway runs. I kill everyone i've run. Down low, they are about even, but the S/C's run out of gas WAY TOO EARLY... No top end..

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
dasgalloway said:
GTPs are a waste of gas for any model FI IS300. It seems a lot of them want to race though.
amen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waste of gas? a gtpwith 260 hp 280 tq will beat you stock for stock at a track. thats all that matters. and you will barely pull away from a NA GP. and alot of GTP do have high top ends. alot of people dont have stock gearing or camshafts. intense racing fixed that problem.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
GXPPOWER said:
waste of gas? a gtpwith 260 hp 280 tq will beat you stock for stock at a track. thats all that matters. and you will barely pull away from a NA GP. and alot of GTP do have high top ends. alot of people dont have stock gearing or camshafts. intense racing fixed that problem.
you're comparing what? Stock vs Stock? whats the numbers on that GTP w/ 260 hp and 280 tq? Meaning whats the engine size, weight, etc..
now if you want to go GTP vs a FI IS300 well you said there are some in your area. I'd like to see a vid of that run, it'd be interesting..

·
Registered
394 Posts
dasgalloway said:
GTPs are a waste of gas for any model FI IS300. It seems a lot of them want to race though.
last year a group of GTP guys were at the Great Lakes track and they were the fastest car out there that looked like a street car and didn't have a blower popping out of the hood. they were running low 11's and nobody could touch them that day as far as that class was concerned. i was suprised myself, i was expecting more from some of these muscles cars and WS6s but they couldn't touch them...i think thats enough to give an FI IS3 a run for their money. i actually never would have consider and thought it was a joke till they did their runs. didn't know there was really any mods out for the GTP besides different pulleys & I/E/H. these guys were screaming fast. but i guess these guys are far and few between...but you'd never now if you seen them....hearing them...thats another story.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
GXPPOWER said:
Not on the tracks I run at...

You know, the ones with turns, that challenge more than the engine and right foot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
www.3800performance.com.
http://www.intense-racing.com/
http://www.zzperformance.com/

heh the 3.8l engines has a huge aftermarket.

and when all else fails and you want times. go here

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp

rofl your gonna compare your is to a GP in a road track..... sure... mabe my GXP but the older GP were not made for super handling. in cornering.

and if i do belive noone here was tlaking about a road track. but any day you want to take ony me ill hop in my brothers sti and he can be in it also for added wait and we can see who will win in a road course.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
GXPPOWER said:
www.3800performance.com.
http://www.intense-racing.com/
http://www.zzperformance.com/

heh the 3.8l engines has a huge aftermarket.

and when all else fails and you want times. go here

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp

rofl your gonna compare your is to a GP in a road track..... sure... mabe my GXP but the older GP were not made for super handling. in cornering.

and if i do belive noone here was tlaking about a road track. but any day you want to take ony me ill hop in my brothers sti and he can be in it also for added wait and we can see who will win in a road course.

It's like me saying that I'll take my mothers cousins brothers Elise and rape that STi in the twisties. Pretty stupid argument if you ask me. What does STi have to do with anything in this tread?
I don't think GTP can't even touch an IS on a road course/ auto-x. Sure as far as drag racing it will take NA IS without a problem.

And let's not even talk about the 3800 series motors, one thing I can say 2JZ-GTE owns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
3.8l engines yea dont comment on it top 10 most reliable engines ever per say motor trend.
and i dunno you might wanna check out the times of the comg gtp. im sure it could hang with an is in a roud course.

and i gurantee you my GXP can :)

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
GXPPOWER said:
3.8l engines yea dont comment on it top 10 most reliable engines ever per say motor trend.
and i dunno you might wanna check out the times of the comg gtp. im sure it could hang with an is in a roud course.

and i gurantee you might GXP can :)
Is it as reliable as the 2JZ series of engines? I doubt it, not to knock GM in any way. But that particular engine is dated and pretty inefficient in NA form for what it brings to the table. I can't say that the 2JZ is the God of them all, it's fairly dated as well, but for what it is I think it's one of the better engines out there. As far as being reliable it's virtually bulletproof.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh i agree with you heh. im not saying 3.8l is a marvel of science other than HOW old is it and still being used and still runs good in cars. thats the whole point its alot older but still in the end is doing enough to keep up in the department even if alittle forced induction/sc is needed heh. grand prix weak spot is the transmission. in 2 ways. 4 gears and to weak for the torque. that will change in 2006-2007 when the ZETA projects come out :) and the GP,impala,monte and yes the camaro which is coming back will all be on same platform. rwd and 5 speed auto/ 6 speed man. though the camaro if brought back supposedly will be using the zo6 engine or a higher version whatever GM is putting into the corvette/ gto at the time i guess.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Isn't the new Impala, Monte Carlo and something else going to be FWD with a V8 as a best engine + 4spd auto. Where is the fun in that? Shit load of torque steer.

On the side note, the only exposure that I had to the 3800series motor was when I went to Vegas and had an Impala there for a Week. Put something close to 1600mi on that car. And I wasn't impressed at all by the engine in that car. It was lacking major reffinement, as well as major balls for what it was displacing. I'm not impressed at all by what GM is putting out in terms of their engines. Sure you can come and brag by the 400hp GTO and 450hp Vette and 505hp Z06 but in terms of V6s they have nothing on the market that can touch Toyota/Nissan/Honda.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts